Thinking of giving a gravel bike a crack

rowdyflat

chez le médecin
Anyone have an opinion about how wide the bars on a flat bar gravel bike with bar ends should be ?
Not as wide as a mtbike ? about 700 mm ?

silentbutdeadly

has some good things to say
I run the same bars on the hardtail XC MTB that's been 'converted' to a gravel bike. If the riding is straightforward and I want to pretend I'm aero then I just move my hands to either side of the stem.

Mind you, these are Answer pro taper 20-20 bars that are probably only 700 and something mm wide anyway but 20 degree back sweep. Had them for years but not sure if they are even still available...

PJO

in me vL comy
All this is quite some time away, totally cant justify a new bike spend at present... But am considering this now

Alloy, and more road orientated which is where it will spend 80% at least of its time. Comes with basic kit - so will sell off the wheels and group and fit 12 speed mechanical 105 and some chinese carbon wheels. Will take 38mm tyres, comes with modern features, doesnt have stupid headset cable routing and has a nice flex carbon seat post.
Looks OK, but why does the BB have to be so low?

Jabubu

let you google that for me
They can gradually make gravel bikes longer, lower and slacker over a few year period which is always going to be better than last years model so you really need the new and shiny. It isn't about you sir :D

Surely full face 'gravel inspired' helmets and 'aero' knee pads have to be next up.
And gravel bike compatible chain lube.

Stredda

Runs naked through virgin scrub
Enjoy!
Never really interested me, but have plenty of mates that love it and keep trying to get me to go along.

100km is a long way on dirt roads!
Well it's probably the only gravel race I'll bother with but a few mates of mine run the event, so I like to support them. Plus, I've never ridden 100km. 93km is the most I've ever ridden in a single ride. Just don't do much road or gravel riding.

Stredda

I've done one 100 km dirt race, box ticked, unlikely to go back, it wasn't fun and the training sucked
I'm not really going to do any actual proper gravel rides for training. Just a few old school MTB stuff that has some gravel in it.
I did this on the weekend and technically it was all gravel, I doubt you'd be very comfortable on a gravel bike.
1713310524701.png

1713310577836.png
1713310612637.png

1713310692953.png

@Stredda when I did my race gravel bikes weren't a thing, I saw only one cyclocross bike at the start of the race. At the end of the race he had his arm in a sling with a buggered shoulder. Seemed the bike of choice on the day was a hardtail. There were some gravel roads involved but there was this techy section across the top that made me thankful for lugging the dually the whole way

Stredda

@Stredda when I did my race gravel bikes weren't a thing, I saw only one cyclocross bike at the start of the race. At the end of the race he had his arm in a sling with a buggered shoulder. Seemed the bike of choice on the day was a hardtail. There were some gravel roads involved but there was this techy section across the top that made me thankful for lugging the dually the whole way
The Devils Cardigan is on the rougher side of traditional gravel races. It ranges from some tarmac sections, smooth gravel, chunky bluemetal forestry roads to muddy double track. A gravel bike would be faster overall, but a bit sketchy in some parts and a higher risk of punctures. They recommend the widest gravel tyre you can fit on your bike. I'm racing my totally overkill 130mm travel Stumpy, and I'm not going to be battling it out for any podiums, so I may as well be comfortable.
1713315325455.png

The devils' horns will be making a comeback again this year! :p
1713315430965.png

Stredda

Yeh I reckon the same.

I see ads for these events and wonder why anyone would want to pay and travel afar to ride around on fire roads, or as they like to call it, "champagne gravel" :rolleyes:
They seem to get huge fields for the gravel races. Maybe it's just a fad, or roadies just wanting to feel "Hardcore" or a bit of both.

slimjim1

Fat boomers cloggin' ma leaderboard
A lot of the events aren't actually 'races' and I think this has a lot of appeal for people.

Also gives people an opportunity to ride somewhat remote places in a supported way (people who aren't comfortable with navigating or riding remote solo or in small groups).

Stredda

A lot of the events aren't actually 'races' and I think this has a lot of appeal for people.

Also gives people an opportunity to ride somewhat remote places in a supported way (people who aren't comfortable with navigating or riding remote solo or in small groups).
You are probably right there. I wouldn't bother to ride the Devils Cardigan course outside the event.