The Vintage Mountain Bike Thread.

DW-1

Dirt Works
Elvis,

I'm working on procuring a Pro-Floater to put along side the XCR-EC... and also not ride. :eek:
oh I have a 1991 model that is built and ridable. (and even does ... occasionally) :cool:

It's the 1995 one of the office wall.

I had a line on an original (std stay, chrome back end, custom snakeskin paintjob) XCR a few years ago. 100% original build. Tyres, Suntour shifting... everything. A shop in Arizona. I offered the guy (in 1998) US$1800 for it... he wanted more.

Elvis.

Turner_rider

Likes Bikes and Dirt
An Off Road Toad. Where did you dig that up from???
Got it from the original owner a while back and its been sitting at a friends place in the states for a long time until now. waiting for the wheels to arrive but starting to clean it up. Hopefully by Christmas it will be back on the trails

clodep

Cannon Fodder
1994 GT RTS 3 Reborn

Here's my old GT RTS 3 that I've just rebuilt! (Was my main ride until early 2008 when I got a GT Force 3.) Last year I found a crack in the main frame suspension wishbone mount... recently sent it off to Gripsport for repair and powdercoating in new colour. While I was waiting for it to come back, I got out the grinder and took off the cantilever bosses from the rear triangle and resprayed it - ready for my spare disc brakes (and all the other bits I've upgraded/replaced on my Force over the last few years!). Now I just need a front derailleur to finish it off. It'll be 17 years old in Feb!!!

Attachments

DW-1

Dirt Works
oh man... RTS 3...

I had one of those in a shop I managed in Newcastle in the 90's... Classic Purple though.

At the time it was "cutting edge design".

Elvis.

Fatman

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Here's my old GT RTS 3 that I've just rebuilt! (Was my main ride until early 2008 when I got a GT Force 3.) Last year I found a crack in the main frame suspension wishbone mount... recently sent it off to Gripsport for repair and powdercoating in new colour. While I was waiting for it to come back, I got out the grinder and took off the cantilever bosses from the rear triangle and resprayed it - ready for my spare disc brakes (and all the other bits I've upgraded/replaced on my Force over the last few years!). Now I just need a front derailleur to finish it off. It'll be 17 years old in Feb!!!
That's awesome! You've just planted the seeds in my head to do something with my RTS-2. Nice work.

Bill Gill

Squid
My first full susser was a Mongoose Amplifier 2 in the early 90's, swapped out the Rockshox for Manitous Mach 5's and got a set of good rims on it I had it for years.:p have a look

Attachments

floody

Wheel size expert
RTS came up really nicely! However I reckon you'll soon regret cutting the canti bosses off when that cheesey A2Z adaptor thing shows its true colours.

Fatman

Likes Bikes and Dirt
99 Cannondale F1000

Just picked this up yesterday.

IMGP5720.jpgIMGP5725.jpg

I have wanted a 99 model CAAD4 for ages and found one going very cheaply. I could never afford one 10 years ago as all my money was spent on GT's.
I've always loved cannondale hardtails and this one is just brilliant to ride, even if it is a bit big for me. I took it out for a short ride yesterday arvo and it turned out to be a few hours longer than I thought.

This thing has been very well looked after, most of the parts are original apart from the tyres and the rubbish CODA cranks are gone too. Given its size I had to put on a much shorter stem too. It was advertised as an XL which is similar to a later model L, but it turned out to be a Jumbo which I can just get on to but it rides so sweet though.

A quick spec list;

99 model CAAD4 Jumbo frame in Reptillian Fade ( The colour really sold it for me)
CODA bars, stem, saddle, calamari grips, barends and hubs
XT front and rear derailleurs, brake and shift levers, casette and chain.
Avid Arch Rival V brakes
Fatty SL fork, 70mm travel and 5 stage rebound adjustment
Deore Cranks (Will probably replace with the original CODA cranks even though they were crap)
Mavic 221 Rims
Michelin Country AT 2.0 tyres ( If anyone has a pair of IRC Mythos redwalls let me know)

Last edited:

d_n2blue

Likes Dirt
Just picked this up yesterday.

View attachment 187969View attachment 187970

I have wanted a 99 model CAAD4 for ages and found one going very cheaply. I could never afford one 10 years ago as all my money was spent on GT's.
I've always loved cannondale hardtails and this one is just brilliant to ride, even if it is a bit big for me. I took it out for a short ride yesterday arvo and it turned out to be a few hours longer than I thought.

This thing has been very well looked after, most of the parts are original apart from the tyres and the rubbish CODA cranks are gone too. Given its size I had to put on a much shorter stem too. It was advertised as an XL which is similar to a later model L, but it turned out to be a Jumbo which I can just get on to but it rides so sweet though.

Looks similar to my F2000 CADD5 beast :)

Attachments

Last edited:

d_n2blue

Likes Dirt
Yes indeed but I snapped 3 CAAD5's so I won't be getting another. But then again if a 2000 model F2000 comes along I may be persuaded. It will keep Grip occupied anyway.:D
Mine is a 2000 model and yes it also for sale. See my sig for the link.

Fatman

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Sorry, should have said 2000 model F2000SX with the USA fade paint scheme and the horrible CODA hydraulics and lefty DLR.

Then again the 2001 F2000 with ELO Lefty in the pseudo team colours would really do it, I owned and broke two of these but I really loved them. Very fortunate to have Cannondale's lifetime replacement policy on those ones.

evObda2

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Been a while since i posted in here.. (probably a good thing as it stops me from wanting to build up another bike!)

Found this for sale on ebay.com for those who may be interested, as you dont see these come up very often. Shame its such a big size (20”) and not like a 16” or 18”.
I would kill for a John Tomac team model with the carbon/ti tubing!

Ti Raleigh frame
http://cgi.ebay.com/Rare-John-Tomac...ntain_Bikes&hash=item4aa67487aa#ht_844wt_1141

edit*
Also found an AMP research frame..
http://cgi.ebay.com/Vintage-Amp-Research-B1-frame-Risse-air-shock-/140480711935?pt=Mountain_Bikes&hash=item20b54d8cff#ht_500wt_1156

Last edited:

clodep

Cannon Fodder
RTS came up really nicely! However I reckon you'll soon regret cutting the canti bosses off when that cheesey A2Z adaptor thing shows its true colours.
Yeah maybe... back up plan is to get proper disc mounts welded on!

No Skid Marks

Blue Mountain Bikes Brooklyn/Lahar/Kowa/PO1NT Raci
oh man... RTS 3...

I had one of those in a shop I managed in Newcastle in the 90's... Classic Purple though.

At the time it was "cutting edge design".

Elvis.
Pffft, still is one of the best designs going(with idler).

Turner_rider

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Rock Shox/Specialized FSX Carbon Judy...where on earth did you find those?
They came with the bike. In fact the bikes is pretty much as the original owner built it new and I have most of the paperwork and articles he used in researching the build for the bike too.