The Tool Thread

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
Google “pallet rack workbench”. I used the orange and blue ones without a built in upper shelf. Think I paid under $250 with 10-12mm particle board top and shelf. They are tough and sturdy.
Same here, I used Form Ply as the top as it wipes clean of oils and liquids.

Can I get opinions on work benches? What do people use, where did you get them from and how are they set up?
Go to Scumtree.

This is the bloke in SA I got mine from, scroll down and you will see they do different sized work benches

I also have 4 racking units in the garage and storage rooms. Its good shit.

Reckon every city in Australia has somebody selling it on Scumtree.

blacksp20

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Same here, I used Form Ply as the top as it wipes clean of oils and liquids.
I recently trimmed the uprights and screwed on an oversized piece of form ply over the top of mine to give me a cleaner and larger workspace. Being able to bolt my vise onto it right at the edge is also a godsend.

I too have matching shelves. They are absolutely the best.

nzhumpy

Googlemeister who likes bikes and scandal
Also known as Dexion racking, might throw up a few more results in your search.

teK--

Eats Squid
Peepz felt sorry for my $50 bunnings shelving and tools thrown in plastic trays.

They bought me this rad tool chest for my bday, which I just had to go OCD with laying out everything in order now.

Pretty stoked!

Still unsure if they just want to make it easier for me to work on their bikes though...

rockmoose

his flabber is totally gastered
Peepz felt sorry for my $50 bunnings shelving and tools thrown in plastic trays.

They bought me this rad tool chest for my bday, which I just had to go OCD with laying out everything in order now.

Pretty stoked!

Still unsure if they just want to make it easier for me to work on their bikes though...

View attachment 373149View attachment 373150View attachment 373151View attachment 373152View attachment 373153View attachment 373154View attachment 373155View attachment 373156View attachment 373157View attachment 373158
Cannot hide the fact that makes me a little chubby in the swimsuit region.

Sent from my SM-G780F using Tapatalk

creaky

XMAS Plumper
Any strap wrenches from repco, super crap, Bunnings etc ok for little things like dropper post collars, air cans etc? If not, then what’s decent?

creaky

XMAS Plumper
Yep.

These are great

Perfect answer, that’s the one I googled up! Nice price too.

Now, if only the whole country didn’t shut down for a religious day that 10% of the population actually give a shit about. Don’t get me wrong, I want the day off, but why should people who work in retail and hospitality have the same rights as me???

HamboCairns

Thanks for all the bananas
Perfect answer, that’s the one I googled up! Nice price too.

Now, if only the whole country didn’t shut down for a religious day that 10% of the population actually give a shit about. Don’t get me wrong, I want the day off, but why should people who work in retail and hospitality have the same rights as me???
Don't worry, Cadbury are working on it.

teK--

Eats Squid
Any strap wrenches from repco, super crap, Bunnings etc ok for little things like dropper post collars, air cans etc? If not, then what’s decent?
Yep but buy a couple .. for whatever reason the rubber strap starts cracking over time and it's usually on a good friday when you want to work on the bike, that the wrench finally gives up

Minlak

custom titis
Thinking I want a better Torque wrench than the GT one I have - it also needs to be able to tension in both directions as one nut requires opposite thread. Highest torque I need is 50NM for the bike so would probably look for a 3/8 drive.
I really want to justify buying a digital one like the Milwaukee or similar though - It is 1/2 drive but torques go from 16 - 203 and accuracy is 2% compared to a lot of tools that are 4%

Isaakk

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Thinking I want a better Torque wrench than the GT one I have - it also needs to be able to tension in both directions as one nut requires opposite thread. Highest torque I need is 50NM for the bike so would probably look for a 3/8 drive.
I really want to justify buying a digital one like the Milwaukee or similar though - It is 1/2 drive but torques go from 16 - 203 and accuracy is 2% compared to a lot of tools that are 4%

View attachment 376184
But does it go down to 1nm? https://www.rotorburn.com/forums/index.php?threads/confessions-from-the-fuckwits.257029/post-3412355

On a more serious note though, most bolt/pivot torque ranges on a MTB are from 5-14nm, so this would only really be good for cassette lockrings, centrelock and the like?

link1896

Mr Greenfield

View attachment 376184

You want a 1/4, 3/8 and a 1/2. One size and one torque range does not work in all situations.

I own spring, deflection beam and digitals. The digitals battery will be flat when you need it. Everyone’s IP68 claims are bullshit.

Learning to check/calibrate is very beneficial.

Last edited:

Oddjob

Merry fucking Xmas to you assholes

View attachment 376184
Does it have to be 50nm? If 40nm will do
https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/TOHNICH...-/192435549642?_trksid=p2349624.m46890.l49286

Otherwise
https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Warren-...-/372106177391?_trksid=p2349624.m46890.l49286

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk