The Tool Thread

bear the bear

Is a real bear
K, I admit it I'm a tool whore I love well made tools.
I thought I'd start this thread to condense general discussions about bike tools. Mods can make this a sticky if they feel it's worthy....

So to start off, what brand allen keys are everyone using?

Personally I've got a set of Park blue that are about 12 years old and starting to show signs of rounding off finally.

stirk

Burner
Using the 200 various Allen keys I have from 20 years of IKEA torture partners have put me through.

And some various keys I've been using for 23 years, all quality stuff I inherited from a fitter mainly abused on motorbikes now and have two new sets from bondhus which are good but I tend to reach for the old favorites.

Also bought a little torque wrench for the MTB and have used it once, should sell it.

Now what the best hammer?

Scotty675

Cable thief
A7495FF4-F594-4B0D-A861-6682A7D0E8AE.png
Kincrome normally although I bought a set of x tool like picture and have been surprised they have lasted. Good set for working on the bikes.

Oddjob

Merry fucking Xmas to you assholes
OoOoOoOoh!

Allen keys:
- Superstar t handle
-Parktool combination
-Unbrako metric set

Favourite tools
-Icetoolz work stand. This thing is built like a tank yet folds up nicely. I've had it for 15 years and its still going strong.
-Parktool beam torque wrenches. Accurate forever.
-Cyclus Bottom Bracket Threading And Facing Tool. I've always wanted one and I picked it up for a steal of facebook.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
I've got the ones with the gorilla on them. Friends hooked me up years ago when I was always fixing other people's bikes in the kitchen workshop. "the gorilla couldn't bend them, so they should last" is what one of them told me. He was right.

They spend a lot of time in the magnetic parts tray and are now a wee touch magnetic. However not enough to really hold onto the bits I'd like them to.

shiny

Go-go-gadget-wrist-thingy
Sidchrome Allen keys had them for a very long time and probably need to upgrade soon as have rounded a few bolts over the last few months.

I keep looking at the Silca Allen keys but $200 is crazy high. Been looking at the PB Swiss rainbow hex keys too which are around the $100 mark which seems a bit up there too.

John U

MTB Precision
Self confessed tool whore here.

I love all things Park but I generally use my Bondhus keys for general jobs. I find the clearance p handled Park set a bit restrictive. The spherical? ends on them are handy for hard to reach shit but to protect the bolts I don’t use them if I can avoid it.

Bondhus are the gorilla ones.

TheAzza

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I got a Bunnings gift voucher for a birthday and the person who gave it to me said “Got you a Bunnings voucher so you couldn’t spend it on your bike”.
Bought a sweet set of Wera Allen keys, which are amazing, and a set of cable cutters.

Massive win.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

slider_phil

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I don't even know where to start here

Diesel mechanic by trade so usually the tools that get broken in the field make their way back to the shed for work on the bikes. Things like screwdriver sets and Allen keys only last a few years before there's two or three in the set that are broken or rounded. Currently using Sidchrome Allen keys on the bike which are fine.

I use Snap On for torque wrenching (3/8" and 1/4" on the MTB). I think my favourite bike specific tools are Pedro's tyre levers and the Park chain whip.

Daniel Hale

She fid, he fid, I fidn't
I keep looking at the Silca Allen keys but $200 is crazy high. Been looking at the PB Swiss rainbow hex keys too which are around the $100 mark which seems a bit up there too.
ive been eyeing off the silca ratchet. though i mightvas well throw $90 down on the trail as id prob lose it

bear the bear

Is a real bear

shiny

Go-go-gadget-wrist-thingy
ive been eyeing off the silca ratchet. though i mightvas well throw $90 down on the trail as id prob lose it
Got the Silca ratchet and the ti-torque. Picked it up during their kickstarter campaign. Ratchet is very nice but the torque tube sucks as it is very hard to read. They have released an update that is supposed to be easier to read.

MARKL

Eats Squid
I am a sucker for more tools. Torque wrench can't go past Warren and Brown, even if it has Sidchrome written on it. Tyre levers, those Pedros ones are awesome. The big Park stuff like headset presses, truing stands are all good bits of kit. Bondhus are great for hex wrenches.

Last edited:

wesdadude

ウェスド アドゥーデ
Bondhus for Allen keys. The three ended Park ones are alright too. Can anyone recommend a reasonably price bike too kit?

ianganderton

Likes Dirt
PB Swiss rainbow set of keys is really nice

Bit of a fanboy for park blue generally

Just brought a pro truing stand which is really awesome

I have a 1/4 inch wrench set I’ve put together that is probably my most used set of tools

1/4 ratchet
1/4 screwdriver the ratchet fits
1/4 adaptor to hex drive
Set of about 10 hex bits that fit everything on the bikes we use

This does almost all the jobs on the bike and it’s light enough to pack when we fly. The screwdriver is particularly useful for spinning brake bolts efficiently.

Use a torque wrench with it when at home.

Park cable cutters are a much used tool too. Cables and zip ties. Something else that always goes in the car.

Soft jaw pliers for gripping round spokes in straight pull hubs anyone?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ianganderton

Likes Dirt
Bondhus for Allen keys. The three ended Park ones are alright too. Can anyone recommend a reasonably price bike too kit?
Depends what you mean by reasonably priced.

If I had my time again I’d just buy the biggest park tool kit I could afford right from the start along with a PCS 10 stand. Tools are expensive. Cheap tools damage stuff so are most expensive of all. Buy well, buy once

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
If you are starting from scratch and will be working on cars etc as well as bikes this set is incredibly good value.

https://www.tradetools.com/product-...pc-combination-tool-set-1-2-3-8-and-1-4-drive

My biggest gripe with combo sets is they usually include Imperial tools and very little these days is Imperial unless you have an old car or Toro zero turn mower. Thuus set is just metric tools.

I know Tradetools are pretty much just in Qld but this is the set I carry camping. The Allen keys are the only thing that really needs to be replaced and I use T handles.

Of course bike specific tools like a really big hammer for fitting headsets will need to complement a set like this.

link1896

Mr Greenfield
~30 years of collecting tools so far.

A glance at the Allen key collection gives you a hint as to the extent. And these are just the sets I could put back together complete.

Only this morning, couldn't find a god damned 3mm Allen key.