The three best parts I've ever bought are....

nathanm

Eats Squid
Raceline Team XC Frame - Bought it cheap here at Farkin, and compared to my too big 21" Giant Yukon it's awesome

SRAM X9 drivetrain - bought it all (new) second hand for under $150, Shifts precisely everytime couldn't believe the difference from Shimano alivio stuff!

Avid BB5 Brakes - I thought the Shimano mechanicals were good but these things are awesome for mechanicals. Instant feel and stopping, i'd rate them over most Hayes hydro's any day. And got them new for $60 for everthing less rotors!

As you can tell, I'm only new to the wonders of good quality gear, and anything I get for a bargain I rate highly!

FoxRidersCo

Sanity is not statistical
Profile Racing Cranks
The sort of cranks you can put on a bike then pretty much forget about, they take alot of beating too and they remain strong.

Sun Doublewide Wheel
Bought a 24" one that lasted 3 years on a hardtail, I hucked it off stairs and various other drops, Only got 2 little flatspots but no buckles

05 Norco 250
As far as a stock dirt jump bikes go the 05 250 was good value for money, It took a hammering but still remained one of the more stable hardtails i've owned.

n plus one

Likes Bikes and Dirt
1. Avid BB7's , best brake for the buck, period.

2. Thomson anything - quality and nothing but.

3. Fixed gear track bike - the only thing more fun to ride than a single speed.

Shame you can't combine all three really.......

ned_stp

Likes Dirt
DMR SS/tensioner: makes stp more fun and is smooth
NS streetlegal: so light, so sexy and so hack proof
stp2: the bad boy that got me into the game. although i wish they didnt have such a stigma surrounding them

NCR600

Likes Dirt
1: Arnette 'Threat' cycling specific glasses.

Old timers will remember these. Best sunglass ever. Huge, but look normal on my outsized head. Light, don't fog, and don't interfere with your peripheral vision.

I bought my first pair when they came out in the mid 90's. I broke them (Their one drawback is they're quite fragile) and bought 2 further pairs at an Arnette factory sale forr $40 each (about 1/4 retail). they broke too, but recently I've bought another 3 pairs from ebay (brand new!) so I've now got a huge collection of different lenses, and spares. I'm also getting adept at pinning and gluing the arms when they break!

2: Renthal soft compound trials or road motorcycle grips.

The best. Slim, soft and grippy. only held back by the need to buy 2 sets and throw the throttle side grips away. Keep your Oury's and ODI's, there's only ONE thing I prefer to wrap my fingers around than Renthal grips!

3: Loctite threadlocking compounds.

Cheap insurance. Use it, and you'll never notice it. Don't use it and you'll be noticing it (or the lack thereof) all the way home to an early shower.

flognoffsky

Banned
Merida Kalahari HT-I learnt how to jump on this puppy. Currently resserecting as my 4X bike
Shimano SH-MP56L-Best riding shoes ever. Never get your laces caught in anyting.
Camelbak HAVOC-This is the tankest camelback ever. I have fallen on this with tools in my bag and the bladder hasn't budged.

and my ipod, life is so much more fun with a sound track.

Plow King

Little bit.
Saint brakes

They are the best brakes I have ever ridden period.

Atomik Frame:

This has taken so much crap from me, it is plush and the angles arnt that bad for the price.

My Riding kit:

Gives the illusion im fast. A must for the fellow posers like myself are the tinted lenses.

Chalkie

Likes Dirt
at the risk of derailing this thread.. have you ever seen a photo of his face?
You've suggested some stupid things in your time leitch but this is by far the most ludicrous. Plow King's face really isn't something to joke about. Think of the liability's posting such a picture could have for Farkin. I mean god, look what a mere glimpse did to his rim. Now lets move on with this thread before leitch posts one of PK's infamous 'berm railing' faces and destroys a perfectly good thread.

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
Well, so far the 510 shoes are the easy leader in quality and consumer satisfaction with 8 votes. Saint brakes are coming a close second with 6 votes followed by E13's and Pikes.

Honourable mentions go to camel backs, Lock on grips, saint cranks, Sram gear, Thompson gear and Avid BB brake series.

I would also like to throw a few more top products in like Sun ZUZU and Funn Slojam Viper pedals, Kenda K-Rad tyres and any lock on grips.

Last edited:

Yowie

Likes Dirt
Orange 222 frame.
In my mind one of the best frames out there, still regret getting rid of that thing. So light, so simple, so creak free.

Crank Bro's Mallet Cs.
Again simple and maintainace free.

Santa Cruz V-10 2005
Saved me for some hairy moments where a lesser bike might of seen me off in the bushes. Not up their with the 222 yet due to its creaky nature (recent strip down found a un faced BB and Head Tube) But a rebuild in my shop has seen the job done right so the creaks should be gone.

Noteable mentions - Pro-Tapers, Mojo Boxxer Kit, XT four pots, Saint Cranks NS Legeaters and my Park Tools.

shift

Likes Dirt
Ok, there are only 2 real purchases that stick out in my mind over anything else ive ever purchased

firstly, DT EX1750 wheel set.
now ive riden a few nice wheels in my time, but these things are out of control.
I gain speed from parts of my local trails that i didnt even know where downhill.
Their weight is fucking ridiculus. The rear wheel weighs less than most front wheels do.
Ive been running these for over 6 months now, riding relatively agressively, doing drops, jumps etc and i havent had to take a spoke key to them yet.

Seond thing is my Specialized SX trail.
Ive never, ever been happier with my bike.
all up she weighs in at 34 pounds and takes all the abuse i can dish out and a hole lot more.
i dont really know where to start with going into detail because its just perfect in every way.

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
As an alternative to the thread where you name the parts you'd never buy again, I'm cracking out the "best parts I've ever bought" thread.

I've bought far more excellent parts than bad parts during my MTB addiction, It's hard to name three of the best, but here goes:

Cannondale Chase frame.
Why? Because I have put that frame through so much shit and it has never cracked nor failed.

DMR STS chain tensioner.
Why? Because it's tough, sturdy and does the job as well as it possibly could. In other words, it has never farked up once.

Manitou Sherman Jumpers.
Why? As with the frame, I have given these forks heaps of shit and they are still strong, plush and up to whatever I want to throw at them.

Close runners up are the E13, Stinky 03 frame, 41Thermal cranks and 721 rims.

What are the three best MTB parts you've ever spent your hard earned on?

I'm still running those forks and the frame, running them hard with little mercy as well. The forks have never been serviced since I bought them and they still work very well.

I also bought a second hand set of RS Dukes in about 2004. They've been on a few different bikes since then and have traveled to a number of different counties with me. They've never been serviced once and still work exceedingly well.

Sometimes I'm amazed at the quality of the parts that I use. All these years later I still have the same rims on these bikes, the same cranks, the Sun ZuZu pedals on the Chase are still awesome and the only thing that ever needed replacing was the seat...., understandably so as well.

Pretty amazing how well a bike rides and remains when quality parts are used.

Trigger02

Likes Bikes and Dirt
1. AM Reign 1
They handle way more than i expected, Plus i can use it to commute. The DH made me messy for commuting.

2. Half Link SS chain
I feel so confident after snapping a chain and smashing my knee cap due to using a shit cheapo

3. DT Swiss Rims on TWE Hubs.
So fast, so nice, so light and sound beautiful.

stinkytodamax

Likes Dirt
1. Ging & Bullet Bros Chain Tensioner - It turned by Rigid GT Outpost into a DH weapon.
2. Stans Wheels & Tubeless systems - Light, Strong, standards convertible, easy to setup tubeless and reasonably priced.
3. Schwalbe Racing Ralphs best tire ever for a fat bloke.

Runners up
ODI Lock on grips. I dont use them anymore but what a revelation at the time.
Five Ten Shoes. Moved to clips just as I got mine but still great flat pedal shoes.
2012 XT Brakes - Best I've ever had.
XT V-Brake - Had original v brakes they rocked. Shouldn't have sold them.
Oury Grips - They were suspension when I couldn't afford it.

Norco Maniac

Is back!
1. 2012 Formula Nucleus Pro cruiser frame. 20.5 TT, tiny and perfect for me. stiff as, i can flex the 2011 Kuwahara and a 2009 GHP out of the gate with my small skillz. The Formula? no way.

2. Avid BMX brakes. fark me, they do work well and are cheap as.

3. my Backbone THE helmet. cheap, light, well vented, and reliable. what more could you ask?