The stupid questions thread.

Mattyp

Cows go boing
Bit of a shame really, I would have gone out to watch the XCO and BMX...I'm sure the regional areas it was supposed to be held at are a bit shitty about it too.

mike14

Likes Bikes and Dirt
How are Victorians taking the news about the cancellation of the Commonwealth Games? That filthy commie Dictator Dan has sold you all out again! I'll be he is planning a 12 day lockdown and reeducation instead.
I had no real interest (although I'm sure I would have taken the kids to see something) and it does seem like a waste of $$ that could be better spent elsewhere, but it does suck for those regional communities who may have stood to benefit from it. Hopefully whatever the planned 'package' is actually spends that money on long-term improvements in those areas.

From a Games perspective, having the events spread over such a difference with no central village did seem to be weird angle to take. You lose the sense of togetherness and community that these things are meant to achieve and instead just have individual things (track meet, bike race, swimming carnival) that could be held anywhere, any time.
Between this, and the Olympics seeing less and less cities interested in hosting the events due to costs etc, it's going to be interesting to see how these events are held in the future. I think the Winter Olympics are already looking at holding either back-to-back or twice in 8 years in the same city to help justify the costs required.

Labcanary

One potato, two potato, click
How are Victorians taking the news about the cancellation of the Commonwealth Games? That filthy commie Dictator Dan has sold you all out again! I'll be he is planning a 12 day lockdown and reeducation instead.
I am outraged!

Nah, whatever. He cancelled for the right reasons IMO.
Dan will be criticized no matter what he does.
If he forged ahead and costs blew out, he'd be condemned for spending money on privelaged athletes rather than the Victorian people.

shiny

Go-go-gadget-wrist-thingy
I am outraged!

Nah, whatever. He cancelled for the right reasons IMO.
Dan will be criticized no matter what he does.
If he forged ahead and costs blew out, he'd be condemned for spending money on privelaged athletes rather than the Victorian people.
So who is going to race on @moorey XC track now?

curmi

Likes Bikes
is seervicing forks and rear suspension really needed ? i do ride the bike pretty hard down double blacks and big jumps.
the cost is redicouls(well i think) to get both done from mtb suspension works in melb.
2020 capra 36 forks and dphx2 rear susp air. and they never been serviced i thought maybe $100 each. but its 3x that.

Quote for service will be best case $180each and worst case $280each for full rebuilds on each fork or shock, especially if it has not been serviced before.

i know the answer i should get them serviced but $600 seems high

mike14

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I'd say suspension servicing, at least the basics, is one of the most useful MTB mechanic skills to learn.
As Dales said it's not too difficult and there's plenty of very good instructional videos on-line. Just take your time with the first go at it and make sure you remember where everything goes.
I'm an not a DIY guy but I'm at the point where I'll happily do oil changes and lower leg servicing, and can swap out an air shaft without too many issues.

The only problem is that some of the specialty tools can be stupidly expensive, but there's also plenty of tips and cheats online about work arounds or other options

Last edited:

Jabubu

let you google that for me
I'd say suspension servicing, at least the basics, is one of the most useful MTB mechanic skills to learn.
As Dales said it's not too difficult and there's plenty of very good instructional videos on-line. Just take your time with the first go at it and make sure you remember where everything goes.
I'm an not a DIY guy but I'm at the point where I'll happily do oil changes and lower leg servicing, and can swap out an air shaft without too many issues.

The only problem is that some of the specialty tool scan be stupidly expensive, but there's also plenty of tips na dcheats online about work arounds or other options
This and brakes are two areas I've avoided but now I've got a fork and shock that are worth looking after, I should make an effort to learn the basics.

I just need to compile a Fox 36 Rythm + Fox Float X shopping list -

Oils
Tools
Consumables (wiper seals etc)

dazz

Downhill Dazz
is seervicing forks and rear suspension really needed ? i do ride the bike pretty hard down double blacks and big jumps.
the cost is redicouls(well i think) to get both done from mtb suspension works in melb.
2020 capra 36 forks and dphx2 rear susp air. and they never been serviced i thought maybe $100 each. but its 3x that.

Quote for service will be best case $180each and worst case $280each for full rebuilds on each fork or shock, especially if it has not been serviced before.

i know the answer i should get them serviced but $600 seems high
So make the servicing someone elses problem. Don't spend any $$$ on servicing and instead put that money towards changing over the whole bike every 12 months?

Stredda

Runs naked through virgin scrub
So make the servicing someone elses problem. Don't spend any $$$ on servicing and instead put that money towards changing over the whole bike every 12 months?
I like the way you think!
Run the bike into the ground and flog it off after 12 months to some poor sap and as a bonus you get new bike day every 12 months!

curmi

Likes Bikes
Lol na too much trouble and cbf dealing with time wasteds

Sell the shock for half what they are worth new and buy new shocks on sale...the cycle of life.
Yes I was thinking this lol

Short answer is yes. But most of us DIY. Very basic tools and it is an easy job. Plenty of videos on the yourtube and most manufacturers have guides.
would love to but then buying the tools and learning and just the idea of it being suspension and oil and seals makes me quiver lol

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
Friends of #2 are having a baby. Other friends have decided to give them a card with snippets of advice about how to raise a child. Is this a thing? Anyway #2 and partner asked if I had anything to share so I went with the obvious:

"There is no god only zuul"

But this apparently would likely be an issue with at least half the grandparents

Next idea was

"Your child is a refection of you, any habits you don't want them to exhibit you have to eliminate from yourself first"

Again not preferred so I went with

"Your child is your responsibility, don't fuck it up"

This must be ok because the next text was thanks no need for any more.