The stupid questions thread.

Question regarding Uni results

So by my calcs I have averaged 74.6% for my course.

None of the results I have on my transcript have decimal places, thus 74.6% rounds to 75%.

Distinction range is 75% to 84%.

The question: Do you reckon I'll get awarded my masters with a distinction ?

Rhetorical Question: Reckon it will make any diff ?

Flow-Rider

Burner
Why would anyone risk paying 6 grand for a second hand bike, that is 7.5 grand new and has warranty ? 1.5 grand is cheap insurance on your 6 grand me thinks. :frusty:

hach_bee

Likes Bikes and Dirt
HOW is it possible for Centrelink to send me two letters in two days demanding I repay a total of 5K from 6 years ago, without any evidence on said claim??
Here's the kicker, after arriving home from working interstate for nearly a month, I opened these the day after 'Due Date', yup they expect people to fork out that kind of cash with zero evidence in four weeks. And yes I'm 99% sure it's their mistake, as they would have had to over pay me $345 a Fortnight for it to be legit, and a poor uni student would have figured that one out pretty quick.

:frusty: second question, when are you ever free of these assholes? I haven't had cash from them in 3 years.

Miguel75

Likes Dirt
In a catastrophic failure, yes you're fucked.
But if the tank works like it should then it's only slightly more likely IMO.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H4ZKKyclrjA

I work in a servo, a month or two back we had a leak from the underground LPG tank after a tanker broke the nozzle when filling it up. Whole site shut down for over 2hrs, firies involved, I had to block off the forecourt with cones (both entry and exit driveways) cause people were coming in the back way to try and get their fuel. I had to stand next to the cones at the entrance because people were trying to squeeze between them, knock them over or move them out of the way.

When I was speaking to the trucky, he said they got shown some footage from a tanker/servo explosion in America and they found significant bits of truck several hundred meters away.
I reckon if there were more incidents of catastrophic fuel tank ruptures you'd hear about it pretty quick. BLEVE's happen rarely though are pretty awesome, provided no one is injured.

Last edited:

Flow-Rider

Burner
HOW is it possible for Centrelink to send me two letters in two days demanding I repay a total of 5K from 6 years ago, without any evidence on said claim??
Here's the kicker, after arriving home from working interstate for nearly a month, I opened these the day after 'Due Date', yup they expect people to fork out that kind of cash with zero evidence in four weeks. And yes I'm 99% sure it's their mistake, as they would have had to over pay me $345 a Fortnight for it to be legit, and a poor uni student would have figured that one out pretty quick.

:frusty: second question, when are you ever free of these assholes? I haven't had cash from them in 3 years.
It could be a scam, ring them in person and see what's going on.

Flow-Rider

Burner
In a catastrophic failure, yes you're fucked.
But if the tank works like it should then it's only slightly more likely IMO.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H4ZKKyclrjA

I work in a servo, a month or two back we had a leak from the underground LPG tank after a tanker broke the nozzle when filling it up. Whole site shut down for over 2hrs, firies involved, I had to block off the forecourt with cones (both entry and exit driveways) cause people were coming in the back way to try and get their fuel. I had to stand next to the cones at the entrance because people were trying to squeeze between them, knock them over or move them out of the way.

When I was speaking to the trucky, he said they got shown some footage from a tanker/servo explosion in America and they found significant bits of truck several hundred meters away.
I reckon if there were more incidents of catastrophic fuel tank ruptures you'd hear about it pretty quick. BLEVE's happen rarely though are pretty awesome, provided no one is injured.
I watched a stationary LPG gas tank about 2000ltrs go through a factory fire and all that happened was a small cover lid to the tank blew off about 20meters with a slight pop noise. The rest of the tank remained intact and in near perfect condition, obviously unusable after an event like this occurs.

Shredden

Knows his goats
How do I make my TV get reception?

Its a couple of years old, a "soniq" flat screen. I plugged the cord into the TV and the wall outlet, then I selected "Tune DTV Channels" or something like that on the menu of the TV. It went through and after about five minutes finished and... nothing. No channels. Well, I got channel 31 but that isnt much help.

Does this mean I need a set top box or something? I live in a building that was built this year, so I assume the antenna is up to date.

Any ideas?

Shredden

Knows his goats
Nevermind guys. Turns out theres two wall ports, and one of them worked. It wasnt the one I originally plugged the TV into...

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
Theo try the other wall port, in new buildings they always put in one that works and one that doesn't. That way they can come back to fix the TV reception and charge $564.03.

Dozer

Heavy machinery.
Staff member
Regarding helmets with the removable lower section (Met Parachute, Bell Super 2R etc). Can anyone tell me what the fucking point is? You want a helmet that offers fullface protection but need to remove part of it to ride between mad downhill runs? You need to remove it to allow air to your head? To avoid the extra weight? I don't get it, they look fucking crap, they don't offer the same coverage as a fullface yet people are all over them? :frusty:

DMan

shawly the least hangeriest guy on rotorburn
Theo try the other wall port, in new buildings they always put in one that works and one that doesn't. That way they can come back to fix the TV reception and charge $564.03.
...plus GST. Don't forget the GST

DMan

shawly the least hangeriest guy on rotorburn
Regarding helmets with the removable lower section (Met Parachute, Bell Super 2R etc). Can anyone tell me what the fucking point is? You want a helmet that offers fullface protection but need to remove part of it to ride between mad downhill runs? You need to remove it to allow air to your head? To avoid the extra weight? I don't get it, they look fucking crap, they don't offer the same coverage as a fullface yet people are all over them? :frusty:
All the Christmas cheery season stuff getting too much for you Dozer?
And the answer is......... because they can.

Lukaas

Squid
Here's my stupid question,

Is there a setup guide that's quality someone can reccomend for me ?

Xc dually, with guide to pressure mostly .

Thanks

Luke

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
It is like a 27.5 inch wheel...you need something between what works and what people are being told they want. That way people only feel half suckered in.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Why am I having so much difficulty upgrading my laptop to Windows 10? Surely it is just a case of downloading and installing..?

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
I tried a while ago and it would not start, had to go into recovery and reload Win 8
My inner technophobe is not happy. Change? I don't think so. I have downloaded the mofo plenty of times, but the exe file wont kick into gear. so the process starts over. The little "update now" box is flashing away at me even now...

wesdadude

ウェスド アドゥーデ
My inner technophobe is not happy. Change? I don't think so. I have downloaded the mofo plenty of times, but the exe file wont kick into gear. so the process starts over. The little "update now" box is flashing away at me even now...
Get yourself an ISO (not sure if you can get them without the stupid downloader installer thingy), burn it to a CD and do an install the good 'ol fashioned way.
Crap, getting a win 10 laptop soon, regretting the decision a little! I hate being an unpaid beta tester for a massive corp that should know better.
There's still 7 ISOs out there and ways of making them think they have a serial.

Stupid question, is it worth setting up a new email account (IMAP/SMPT) with a redirect from my hotmail to effectively un-EOL WLM?

Last edited: