The stupid questions thread.

ozzybmx

Níl aon tóin tinn mar do thóin tinn féin
Brand new brakes ?

Have you actually used these brakes at all before the bleed ?

Go for a ride an confirm there is nothing wrong with them.

Were the levers separate from the hoses ? I just pushed my XT hoses on and didn't bother bleeding them, have worked 100% so far.

Litenbror

Likes Bikes and Dirt
What the fuck am I doing wrong?

So I have new (current model) Shimano xt brakes. I've assembled them just like I have all my other xt brakes (barb, olive, compression but...) and here comes the bleed. My usual technique (for the last couple of years) has been to send a load of oil from the reservoir down into the syringe and after letting any bubbles settle out of the way I send the oil back up the pipes and presto! I've got me some nice crisp brakes.

So the issue is, I can't send oil from the bottom up! No matter how hard I push the plunger on the syringe it just isn't going into the caliper. I can send it down from the top without any worries at all, I can send it for days...just can't initiate the reverse bleed.

I am wondering if perhaps I have a massive air bubble in around the pistons that won't budge or something similar?

I bled the front brake using this technique without any issue. My current plan is to go for a ride and see how the brake works and hopefully loosen up whatever the issue is. No, unlike last new bike I haven't lost a toothpick into the brake line.

Lastly, yes this issue is preventing me from making a fresh out with my new bike.
If you connect the syringe to the bleed nipple on the caliper are you able to draw oil out? If it was a large air bubble you would think you could draw it out even if you couldn't push it.

pink poodle

Our man isn't in the West
If you connect the syringe to the bleed nipple on the caliper are you able to draw oil out? If it was a large air bubble you would think you could draw it out even if you couldn't push it.
Yep, but with a little effort. Pulled out a lot of small air bubbles. squeezed a few loads of oil down from the top no worries.

Brand new brakes ?

Have you actually used these brakes at all before the bleed ?

Go for a ride an confirm there is nothing wrong with them.

Were the levers separate from the hoses ? I just pushed my XT hoses on and didn't bother bleeding them, have worked 100% so far.
Brand spanking new. I managed to loose a bit of oil our of both levers, different way to each lever, so required a bleed to get things up and running. The front is great.

Just finished dinner, so its go time. He fucking things better work because I have already put the dirt tyres back on my scout! I don't want to ride hose to work in a white rabbit panic tomorrow morning!

Litenbror

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Yep, but with a little effort. Pulled out a lot of small air bubbles. squeezed a few loads of oil down from the top no worries.

Brand spanking new. I managed to loose a bit of oil our of both levers, different way to each lever, so required a bleed to get things up and running. The front is great.

Just finished dinner, so its go time. He fucking things better work because I have already put the dirt tyres back on my scout! I don't want to ride hose to work in a white rabbit panic tomorrow morning!
Not sure what's going on this is the same method I always used with all my Shimano brakes including the current series. Might be something stuck in the line from when you cut it?

moorey

I choo choo chose 29
What the fuck am I doing wrong?

So I have new (current model) Shimano xt brakes. I've assembled them just like I have all my other xt brakes (barb, olive, compression but...) and here comes the bleed. My usual technique (for the last couple of years) has been to send a load of oil from the reservoir down into the syringe and after letting any bubbles settle out of the way I send the oil back up the pipes and presto! I've got me some nice crisp brakes.

So the issue is, I can't send oil from the bottom up! No matter how hard I push the plunger on the syringe it just isn't going into the caliper. I can send it down from the top without any worries at all, I can send it for days...just can't initiate the reverse bleed.

I am wondering if perhaps I have a massive air bubble in around the pistons that won't budge or something similar?

I bled the front brake using this technique without any issue. My current plan is to go for a ride and see how the brake works and hopefully loosen up whatever the issue is. No, unlike last new bike I haven't lost a toothpick into the brake line.

Lastly, yes this issue is preventing me from making a fresh out with my new bike.
Removed the plunger from funnel?
Undone the bleed nipple enough?
Old syringe not sticky?

pink poodle

Removed the plunger from funnel?
Undone the bleed nipple enough?
Old syringe not sticky?
I have run through this checklist a few times! Yes to all, I even undid the bleed nipple further than I usually would to be sure.

Just pulled up for a coffee and the brake has been playing up for duration of the ride. I would describe the issue as:
- first draw on lever and it feels squishy, like a shitty bleed. The lever comes in a fair way but not all the way to the bar and then grabs rotor.

- upon release of the lever returns slower than it should, but not stupidly slow.

- the pads don't fully retract and slow the rear wheel down.

- if grabbed immediately again the lever feels similar to the way that avid brakes used to feel when they would mysteriously seize up. That barely able to move jammed feel.

- after a few moments it feels normal again.

The pads and spring are correctly fitted. They brakes were bled with the pads removed and the Shimano bleed block installed.

I didn't cut this line.

ozzybmx

Sounds like current model SRAM brakes, piston issue, sticky or not retracting fully to let you get the fluid down there.

Make sure and put safety glasses on when squeezing the shit out of bleed syringes ;)

EDIT: If you dont mind a bleed to eliminate the cause, swap the hoses from left to right and see if the issue moves... or not.

pink poodle

Sounds like current model SRAM brakes, piston issue, sticky or not retracting fully to let you get the fluid down there.

Make sure and put safety glasses on when squeezing the shit out of bleed syringes ;)

EDIT: If you dont mind a bleed to eliminate the cause, swap the hoses from left to right and see if the issue moves... or not.
Lucky I'm working with baby oil...worst case scenario I'll have a wank to ease the frustration rather than skin peeling off me!

I did wonder if it was a piston issue. I gave some consideration to removing pads and running the lever a few times to see if the pistons moved easy enough. By wasn't sure this would be a good idea or lead to a confession.

ozzybmx

So you can send it from the lever down to the caliper but not back up.

Swap the hoses at the lever, if the problem stays on the same lever, its the lever obviously.

If it moves... somethings very strange with the caliper as its an empty block with a few pistons and a bleed screw.

I would guess piston on the current rear lever.

pink poodle

So you can send it from the lever down to the caliper but not back up.

Swap the hoses at the lever, if the problem stays on the same lever, its the lever obviously.

If it moves... somethings very strange with the caliper as its an empty block with a few pistons and a bleed screw.

I would guess piston on the current rear lever.
By I've just put it together! Can I swap the levers without cutting the hose and installing a new olive barb etc? I have always assumed this can't be done as the olive is already compressed.

Dales Cannon

Deleted Banned Moderatuuur
Staff member
By I've just put it together! Can I swap the levers without cutting the hose and installing a new olive barb etc? I have always assumed this can't be done as the olive is already compressed.
Yes, just unscrew, swap and screw again. Don't screw up. Or sideways. Then unscrew, swap and rescrew. See previous comment about screw ups.

ozzybmx

I would do it. No need to cut anything, you will have to bleed both but the olive would just compress a bit more or in a different shape. Either way you have an issue with one of them and will need to get that sorted.
New brake warranty?

pink poodle

But don't screw up...

Will do. Might not be for a few days though. About to go back to stupid long days and build a bike for a kid's birthday this weekend.

Worst case scenario is a trip to the trusted lbs. Brakes will be under warranty - purchased from pushys.

pink poodle

Thought I posted this last night when I had finished the job. Well here it is now.

So I got distracted but eventually dragged my arse to the garage to face off with this fucking brake. I think this could be the most time I have ever spent bleeding a brake, definitely a Shimano brake! But after almost 3 hours of painfully slowly sending oil from one end to the other I emerged victorious. But at what cost? Sleep it seems.

First off, I hadn't made any silly minor errors. We have all been there - the old funnel on the front syringe on the back is a great party trick. No no not tonight ..what seems to have been the problem is as I kind of suspected early on, there was a massive air bubble in the caliper.

I switched the lines and the problem remained in the rear caliper. Then I went to town...and by that I mean I did basically the same thing on repeat for a long time. I loaded up the funnel, connected the syringe, opened every thing up, and sucked with the syringe. It sucked so hard the syringe (significantly) partially compressed! Then one small fucking cunt bubble at a tie came creeping out of the caliper, then lots, then one or two, then a big one...I wish I had of had something else to do! Id let it rest and manoeuver the air bubbles into one big air bubble that I could push out of the way. Then I would force it all back up to the funnel. The amount of force I was applying to move the baby oil in either direction was unbelievable. A few times I was compressing the syringe with both hands! Just incredibly stubborn. Eventually a few significant bubbles came out. A few times I spilt a little oil. Fuck I was glad to not be using the dot fluid range. Now my hands are soft and it's time to reward myself with a wank and a sleep

Elbo

pesky scooter kids git off ma lawn
A question for those with kids: when your kids were less than 1yo, were you making big trips with them in the car or flying to attend all your friend's big life events? We are the first to have kids in our friend group and have gone as far as Noosa to a wedding with a 3 month old. We were meant to go away again this weekend for another do, but it is just frying us, so we have decided not to go. Just wondering if others grin and bear it, and we just never got to see the aftermath with inconsolable babies after a big weekend away, or we're over committing and not standing our ground enough with people who don't yet understand just how much energy it takes to pull something like this off.

moorey

I choo choo chose 29
You guys do you (hate that saying). They will understand later when they have kids.
It is a chore with young kids. Don’t let anyone else’s expectations get in the way of what you think is too much for you and the kids. Don’t be hermits, bur don’t feel you have to overdo it. My2c.