The stupid questions thread.

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
Sounds like current model SRAM brakes, piston issue, sticky or not retracting fully to let you get the fluid down there.

Make sure and put safety glasses on when squeezing the shit out of bleed syringes ;)

EDIT: If you dont mind a bleed to eliminate the cause, swap the hoses from left to right and see if the issue moves... or not.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Sounds like current model SRAM brakes, piston issue, sticky or not retracting fully to let you get the fluid down there.

Make sure and put safety glasses on when squeezing the shit out of bleed syringes ;)

EDIT: If you dont mind a bleed to eliminate the cause, swap the hoses from left to right and see if the issue moves... or not.
Lucky I'm working with baby oil...worst case scenario I'll have a wank to ease the frustration rather than skin peeling off me!

I did wonder if it was a piston issue. I gave some consideration to removing pads and running the lever a few times to see if the pistons moved easy enough. By wasn't sure this would be a good idea or lead to a confession.

ozzybmx

So you can send it from the lever down to the caliper but not back up.

Swap the hoses at the lever, if the problem stays on the same lever, its the lever obviously.

If it moves... somethings very strange with the caliper as its an empty block with a few pistons and a bleed screw.

I would guess piston on the current rear lever.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
So you can send it from the lever down to the caliper but not back up.

Swap the hoses at the lever, if the problem stays on the same lever, its the lever obviously.

If it moves... somethings very strange with the caliper as its an empty block with a few pistons and a bleed screw.

I would guess piston on the current rear lever.
By I've just put it together! Can I swap the levers without cutting the hose and installing a new olive barb etc? I have always assumed this can't be done as the olive is already compressed.

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
By I've just put it together! Can I swap the levers without cutting the hose and installing a new olive barb etc? I have always assumed this can't be done as the olive is already compressed.
Yes, just unscrew, swap and screw again. Don't screw up. Or sideways. Then unscrew, swap and rescrew. See previous comment about screw ups.

ozzybmx

I would do it. No need to cut anything, you will have to bleed both but the olive would just compress a bit more or in a different shape. Either way you have an issue with one of them and will need to get that sorted.
New brake warranty?

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
But don't screw up...

Will do. Might not be for a few days though. About to go back to stupid long days and build a bike for a kid's birthday this weekend.

Worst case scenario is a trip to the trusted lbs. Brakes will be under warranty - purchased from pushys.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Thought I posted this last night when I had finished the job. Well here it is now.

So I got distracted but eventually dragged my arse to the garage to face off with this fucking brake. I think this could be the most time I have ever spent bleeding a brake, definitely a Shimano brake! But after almost 3 hours of painfully slowly sending oil from one end to the other I emerged victorious. But at what cost? Sleep it seems.

First off, I hadn't made any silly minor errors. We have all been there - the old funnel on the front syringe on the back is a great party trick. No no not tonight ..what seems to have been the problem is as I kind of suspected early on, there was a massive air bubble in the caliper.

I switched the lines and the problem remained in the rear caliper. Then I went to town...and by that I mean I did basically the same thing on repeat for a long time. I loaded up the funnel, connected the syringe, opened every thing up, and sucked with the syringe. It sucked so hard the syringe (significantly) partially compressed! Then one small fucking cunt bubble at a tie came creeping out of the caliper, then lots, then one or two, then a big one...I wish I had of had something else to do! Id let it rest and manoeuver the air bubbles into one big air bubble that I could push out of the way. Then I would force it all back up to the funnel. The amount of force I was applying to move the baby oil in either direction was unbelievable. A few times I was compressing the syringe with both hands! Just incredibly stubborn. Eventually a few significant bubbles came out. A few times I spilt a little oil. Fuck I was glad to not be using the dot fluid range. Now my hands are soft and it's time to reward myself with a wank and a sleep

Elbo

pesky scooter kids git off ma lawn
A question for those with kids: when your kids were less than 1yo, were you making big trips with them in the car or flying to attend all your friend's big life events? We are the first to have kids in our friend group and have gone as far as Noosa to a wedding with a 3 month old. We were meant to go away again this weekend for another do, but it is just frying us, so we have decided not to go. Just wondering if others grin and bear it, and we just never got to see the aftermath with inconsolable babies after a big weekend away, or we're over committing and not standing our ground enough with people who don't yet understand just how much energy it takes to pull something like this off.

moorey

call me Mia
You guys do you (hate that saying). They will understand later when they have kids.
It is a chore with young kids. Don’t let anyone else’s expectations get in the way of what you think is too much for you and the kids. Don’t be hermits, bur don’t feel you have to overdo it. My2c.

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
A question for those with kids: when your kids were less than 1yo, were you making big trips with them in the car or flying to attend all your friend's big life events? We are the first to have kids in our friend group and have gone as far as Noosa to a wedding with a 3 month old. We were meant to go away again this weekend for another do, but it is just frying us, so we have decided not to go. Just wondering if others grin and bear it, and we just never got to see the aftermath with inconsolable babies after a big weekend away, or we're over committing and not standing our ground enough with people who don't yet understand just how much energy it takes to pull something like this off.
We used to regularly do Rocky to Noosa and Brisbane when ours were under 5. Ended up at mum's place so we would set out around 19:00 or 20:00 so the kids slept the whole trip. Next morning mum would be up and dealing with the kids while we got a bit more sleep. Trip back was late afternoon and again kids nodded off fairly quickly, they were usually exhausted from a big weekend. Maybe that set the scene but they were always good travellers. We would plan breaks along the way if travelling in daylight and make the breaks long enough for a bite, a drink and a play. Used to plan trips based on rest areas and playgrounds. As @moorey says all kids are different you just have to go with it. If you or your missus is stressed about a trip they will pick up on it very quickly.

Cardy George

Piercing rural members since 1981
We had the advantage of not being as 'well off' as the rest of the family, so we used that to pick and choose when we travelled. But when we did I tried to leave stupid early so they were still sleepy for half the trip. And then we stopped when they needed to stop. Mildura-Adelaide express is 4 hours, I remember one trip taking over 8.

Good news is it gets better. Now if we're running behind we just tell them to tie a knot in it.......

Labcanary

One potato, two potato, click
My 5 year old travelled ok when he was younger but the fallout lasted a few days. My 1 year old hates the car and especially so if it's dark outside. The 5 year old has sensory processing issues too, so gatherings can be extra tough for him.
We often choose to stay home.

link1896

Mr Greenfield
Travelling with kids, so fucking hard. Don’t for a moment think there is something wrong with you or your family.

My horror story, 8 month old with the liquid shits on the flight back from Thailand. We ran out of nappies and wipes. Shit up the back of his onesie almost to his hair. The baby change table in the plane toilet is impossible.

Fast forward a bunch of years. Now have two step kids and my son. Travelling is a HUGE effort. We won’t go away for just a weekend to the family holiday house, because it’s so much effort it’s less relaxing then staying home.