The stupid questions thread.

Mr Crudley

Glock in your sock
OK, it's now tomorrow...

Middle daughter taught me this trick to make perfect poached eggs. Get your small saucepan with lid, and boiling water with a dash and half of vinegar. Break the first egg into a very small curved bowl, no bigger diameter than 4"/100mm, but it must have curved sides to aid with the smooth pouring of the egg. Take the lid off the saucepan, and very gently but still reasonably quickly, pour the egg towards the edge of the saucepan, say an 1"/25mm in from the edge. If you are smooth and fluid with your pour, the egg is sort of corralled by the side of the saucepan and stays in one piece. Put the lid back on while you crack the next egg into the small bowl. And then repeat the pouring technique. Lid back on till it is full boiling again, then lid off. Hit up the toaster, and when it's done the eggs are done. btw, the water is not rotating or spinning. Other than a disaster a few weeks ago, this method has worked for me a treat.
Geee, will have to give that one a go. Sounds like you need some technique here but I get the idea.
So far, we just use water in a pan but you have little control on a shape of the egg. Results aren't bad but I bet it can be done better.

I did read a tip somewhere to use those silicon cupcake holders. Put the egg in a boil the water around it. The silicon lets the egg sip out easily.

I think this is the egg masterclass though. I watch this in awe.

Mr Crudley

Glock in your sock
Get a soup bowl. Break egg into it. Pierce yolk.
Pop into microwave , cook on medium for 50 seconds if the eggs are room temperature or 55 if from the fridge. If the white is snotty just leave it as it will go on cooking.
Poached egg on toast at work is now a reality.
We have those little microwave egg cookers but I have only used it for scrambled eggs so far.
You have to get something like one of these. These work pretty well but will have to expand to egg poachery next.

https://goo.gl/images/Q2dV7N

Calvin27

Eats Squid
Random one. In the market for some new wheels (4 wheel death machine variety) and because it will be a replacement for a shared car, wife says it must be auto - not that bad seeing no one sells manuals anymore. Anyway I am now at the point where ditching CVT, in conjunction with my other long list of needs, really narrows the market.

So the question is, can someone explain t me how the flap a CVT actually does not slip?

Google seems to just bang on about the same thing and scholar articles are a bit too heavy for me at this stage. As an engineer I find it hard to compare a geared system to a belt driven system and even begin to comprehend that they can transfer the same power/torque.

Oddjob

Merry fucking Xmas to you assholes
CVT slips and are therefore shit, don't do it. A standard auto with lockout is the safe bet.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

marks

Likes Bikes
CVT are notoriously expensive when they go wrong and the feeling of them constantly slipping is off putting.
Hard to find a small car without a CVT these days, its one of the reasons I did not upgrade my wife's car recently as I cannot bring myself to buy a CVT vehicle.

DMan

shawly the least hangeriest guy on rotorburn
CVT are notoriously expensive when they go wrong and the feeling of them constantly slipping is off putting.
Hard to find a small car without a CVT these days, its one of the reasons I did not upgrade my wife's car recently as I cannot bring myself to buy a CVT vehicle.
Lol. That's a great excuse tightass.... ;)

Calvin27

Eats Squid
Same here. Might have to sacrifice in other areas.

Divorce her, buy the car you want.
I have a track car lol. But yeah I'd force her to learn manual if they only sold decent manual large vehicles anymore. XT foz in manual would be my pick, but at this stange any mid sized SUV in manual would work (that isn't a downgraded engine that is).

On a side note : CVT nuvinci > gearbox... there I said it :p

born-again-biker

Is looking for a 16" bar
I love driving a manual & I hate that no one wants manual cars anymore. Auto's are lame.

When CVT's first arrived they were terrible.
But in fairness... they have improved a lot. I have driven many rental cars over the last few years and experienced Subaru's, Mitsubishi etc CVT trannys.
Yes CVT's have 'slip'... or more accurately they have a power loss percentage... but a lot of the negative feedback is perception. The car is actually accelerating faster than you think - but we are all used to the traditional rise in engine revs, noise, vibration etc as the car accelerates so it feels very different.
But bottom line is CVT's are designed for better fuel economy, not the drivers pleasure

We have a 2 year old Honda HRV in the family fleet and I have to admit that the typical CVT characteristics are pretty well masked. The car accelerates well, and throttle response is good. Most people wouldn't know what it is. And the 'sport' mode actually makes a big difference to how the transmission behaves, rather than just a token button.
I believe Hondas don't run a torque converter... which would explain the better feel / response.

If you absolutely can't stand aCVT, then Mazda and Hyundai are still using conventional torque converter / planetary boxes. And Mazda's are usually enjoyable to drive anyway.

VW uses robotised manual gearboxes - great for performance applications and long journeys.
Stop / start traffic? Not so much.

I have also read that CVT fluid is very expensive to replace?

Calvin27

Eats Squid
I have also read that CVT fluid is very expensive to replace?
Not sure. I think they have dropped in price a fair bit, but who knows what dealers are charging. There are different types of cvt too that use different oil.

My original questions stands though. How the flap can you compare a cvt to a geared system. How the heck does it not just slip under load. Some of hese cars even have tow ratings of up to 2500kg. What the hell.

You're dead to me.
Luv ya bruv. Beers on me if I run into you on the trails :p

Reactions: Zaf