The QUICK question thread.....

leitch

Feelin' a bit rrranty
If I drop the bars a bit and switch to some skinnier slicks, is that likely going to make enough of a difference?
You can try. 700x38c tyres will fit on 29" MTB rims. You're still going to be lugging around the extra kgs and sitting up in the wind, though. 40-50km @ 27km/h average is cruisy speed on a roadie. Unless you're a lot fitter than your mates, or the route is pancake flat, you'll be pushing pretty hard to keep up. Gearing is also an issue.
See what happens when the forum’s primary ol’ curmudgeon takes forum leave for a few days?
Meh, he's the one who is 50+ and still so scarred from being bullied for his interest in flowery tea pots that he has to rag on people who ride all types of bikes. Not our problem :p

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
That was before I lost the will to live.
I hope you ALL get roadie, gravel bikes, CX bikes, BMXC bikes and down county bikes.
What about slopeduro or downcountry?

Don't do it @ashes_mtb. If once you start down the dark path...

All of a sudden those early rides are all you'll have left. Those mountain bike trails are just too far and too hard, plus it's so dangerous...unlike the really good cycleway network around Perth.

Better to sell everything and move closer to the mountain bike trails.

ashes_mtb

Has preferences
What about slopeduro or downcountry?

Don't do it @ashes_mtb. If once you start down the dark path...

All of a sudden those early rides are all you'll have left. Those mountain bike trails are just too far and too hard, plus it's so dangerous...unlike the really good cycleway network around Perth.

Better to sell everything and move closer to the mountain bike trails.
This is my concern. Exactly the same scenario as the time I grew a moustache and, well, things just spiralled from there.

There was some discussion within the Ashes household about moving to the hills and then my eldest earned a scholarship to a school at the exact opposite side of Perth and that dream is now officially dead.

Chriso_29er

Likes Bikes and Dirt
You might not be pulling turns on the front but would sit in the draft OK if you have the gearing. That's on fast mtb tyres.

My hardtail when it was still a triple was only marginally slower than a road bike when it had 28c tyres on it. Only noticeably slower in the hills due to its extra weight.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
This is my concern. Exactly the same scenario as the time I grew a moustache and, well, things just spiralled from there.

There was some discussion within the Ashes household about moving to the hills and then my eldest earned a scholarship to a school at the exact opposite side of Perth and that dream is now officially dead.
Damn...I mean well done on the achievement, schools don't just give that shit away and all. But damn! Clearly it's time for you to get into skate pork and dirt lump riding! Or build some trails in the sandy scrub close to your home.

ashes_mtb

Has preferences
Damn...I mean well done on the achievement, schools don't just give that shit away and all. But damn! Clearly it's time for you to get into skate pork and dirt lump riding! Or build some trails in the sandy scrub close to your home.
You’re right, and yet I’m suddenly looking at this shit:

Help!!!

ashes_mtb

Has preferences
Is my understanding correct that road and mtb shifters/derailleurs/cassettes were compatible back in the 8 and 9 speed days?

Found a road bike but will be wanting to convert it to riser bars.

Oddjob

Merry fucking Xmas to you assholes
Is my understanding correct that road and mtb shifters/derailleurs/cassettes were compatible back in the 8 and 9 speed days?

Found a road bike but will be wanting to convert it to riser bars.
Correct. 9 speed mtb will even work with 10 speed road.

Sent from my M2012K11AG using Tapatalk

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
Correct. 9 speed mtb will even work with 10 speed road.
Even 10spd SRAM.

My CX bike has SRAM 10spd road shifters/brakes and a Type 2 X0 10spd clutched derailleur to fit a 10-42 cassette.

From 11spd it wasn't straight forward compatible, I believe the pull ratios all changed.