The QUICK question thread.....

blacksp20

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Caught up with a friend that I skate with occasionally today and found out he’s gotten quite serious on his road bike and heads out at 5am every Saturday and Sunday morning.

Kids sport commitments make a mtb ride on weekends difficult, but I could manage a dawn road ride.

I’m not prepared to go full roadie though.

Group does around 40-50km at an average of 27kmh. Is that doable on a modified mtb? I avg around 23kmh on my commuter bike with 2.2” knobbies and a fairly upright position (although for 30km not 40-50).

If I drop the bars a bit and switch to some skinnier slicks, is that likely going to make enough of a difference?

The alternative is to go a flat bar roadie and stick some pvc pipe on the forks and frame so it doesn’t look so skinny.
I concur with the rest, look for a cheap roadie or flat bar. The gearing will be better suited and the lighter weight, skinnier tyres will make a huge difference. You do alright to average 23 on your commuter but averaging 27 will be tough on a MTB.
I’m not fit, so take this with a grain of salt. I did a charity ride in Adelaide 2 years running. First time I used a carbon hardtail XC bike with 2.5” slicks and rode 86km in 4hr 40. Following year I returned with a $700 roadie and travelled 106km in 4hr30. Felt much healthier after the second year too.
Bite the bullet and get a roadie.

ashes_mtb

Has preferences
If you're going down the roadie path, skip the flat bars and get a bike with drop bars. So many more places to put your hands on a long ride.
I’m picking something up on Thursday.

I can already feel what it’ll be like collecting it:

ausdb

Being who he is
I’m picking something up on Thursday.

I can already feel what it’ll be like collecting it:
Cool, I was going to offer you a loan of my rainy day roadie but from memory you're a giraffe compared to me and a M would be too small anyway.

ashes_mtb

Has preferences
Cool, I was going to offer you a loan of my rainy day roadie but from memory you're a giraffe compared to me and a M would be too small anyway.
Yeah, I’ve gone with a 60cm which is probably about as small as I could get comfy on.

Mr Crudley

Glock in your sock
Yeah, I’ve gone with a 60cm which is probably about as small as I could get comfy on.
I went down the path of slicks on an MTB with a 46T big ring as I dipped my toes into the roadie world but didn't want to commit. It went well bit ultimately was undergeared compared to a real 50T+ skinny tyred roadie. You just can't keep up when the hammer goes down.

Get a big geared roadie with 23 tyres and a big ring if you want to keep up.

Roadies did seem to get annoyed when a MTB was drafting them but as the distance increases then you have to let them go.

Why are we supporting the Winter Olympics in China ?

Understand the extraordinary amount of effort and time athletes put into training but is that enough of a reason to ignore the current political climate we have with China ? Or would it just be petty to tell them to jam it and risk further trade sanctions ? What happens if we beat them in curling, do we lose another export market ?

Mattyp

Cows go boing
Why are we supporting the Winter Olympics in China ?

Understand the extraordinary amount of effort and time athletes put into training but is that enough of a reason to ignore the current political climate we have with China ? Or would it just be petty to tell them to jam it and risk further trade sanctions ? What happens if we beat them in curling, do we lose another export market ?
Because if we upset the country who make all of our stuff for us much much cheaper than we could, we're royally screwed.

Litenbror

Eats Squid
What's the best 140mm fork out at the moment for a trail hardtail. It's hard to go past the Pike for performance and weight but I currently have a DVO Diamond and a Fox Factory 36 which I could lower the travel on and use.

Mr Crudley

Glock in your sock
Come on don't be a party pooper I'm trying to start a fight over here.
What offset? You can't have an irrational fork debate without some ranting and fist shaking about offset.

The answers are:
  1. I can't notice any difference between offsets.
  2. Longer offset is more stable and turns sharper.
  3. Shorter offset is more stable and turns sharper.

Litenbror

Eats Squid
What offset? You can't have an irrational fork debate without some ranting and fist shaking about offset.

The answers are:
  1. I can't notice any difference between offsets.
  2. Longer offset is more stable and turns sharper.
  3. Shorter offset is more stable and turns sharper.
I'm either going ultra short 37.3 or slightly longer than normal 51.6, let the bar fight begin!