The QUICK question thread.....

ausdb

Being who he is
Quick dropper post question, I've just put a KS e10 on the boys bike and we're going to go down to Collie to check out some of the trails tomorrow. I only have one of those old bike carriers that carry the bike by the top tube, so normally use one of those adapters like my red scribble.
It's about a 200km trip each way and I'm thinking it's probably not wise to subject the dropper to hanging the bike off it? The dropper is external so it won't take long to put the old post back in for the car trip if it's recommended.

Last edited:

ausdb

Being who he is
Is it normal for the manufacturer to machine out some of the bb threads? Spun me out when I noticed it.

View attachment 381265
Not exactly machined out more like not machined in the frst place. Iin mass production the BB shells are not tapped by hand but done on a machine using a tapered tap and just run in a bit further than the full depth threads are needed to be able to screw a bottom bracket into. Maybe if you are lucky they will be chased by hand after the frame is finished.

shiny

Go-go-gadget-wrist-thingy
Enve m7 carbon bars worth the premium?
Owned 2 sets of Enve bar, the old RSR models and still riding the 2nd set. Really nice bars. Not made in the US if that matters. The M7 is 35mm with a bit of give and not to be cut less than 780 or you lose the dampening, other option is the One Up bar which gets good reviews. If I was in the market for a new bar it would Enve or One Up.

Squidfayce

Eats Squid
Owned 2 sets of Enve bar, the old RSR models and still riding the 2nd set. Really nice bars. Not made in the US if that matters. The M7 is 35mm with a bit of give and not to be cut less than 780 or you lose the dampening, other option is the One Up bar which gets good reviews. If I was in the market for a new bar it would Enve or One Up.
I've got the oneup now, just looking at 40mm rise 35mm clamp dia bar options. 780 is how my bars are cut now, so no drama. Wanting to sus out if the premium gets me anything that others don't do (like the oneup claims re its oval shape etc).

Squidfayce

Eats Squid
Unfortunately no, five people and camping crap it's loaded to the gills. Will go with the old seatpost and swap it out.
I just rack up the bike using the top tube anyway. Bike sits at a funny angle but the only way the front wheel is going to hit ground is if the bottom of your car hits the ground via really bad rough dirt roads with deep potholes or if the car gets air. I've experienced the latter. I now drive slower when the bike is on the back. Can also circumvent by removing the wheel.

The Duckmeister

Has a juicy midrange
Probably not so much the reduction in damping (NOT "dampening" unless there's something about it that makes you wet), more likely there's a reduction in wall thickness further inboard that's not designed to take the clamping force from shifters, brake levers etc.

Squidfayce

Eats Squid
so Ive noticed creaking coming from my BB area when i put power down. Ive diagnosed this as the most likley area as it only makes the noise when im pedaling and increases in intensity the harder i push. Not the seat as it occurs when pedal standing up, its actually worse then.

I've taken everything apart down there, cleaned, re greased etc. Ive inspected the frame, chainring, bearings, cranks, the pedals have been removed, threads checked, reinstalled etc and all seems to be in order. Any thing else it could be down there at i may have not known to check? Whats the next incremental change i can do if i cant diagnose? eg replace press fit BB bearings?

Lucaw

Next in line
so Ive noticed creaking coming from my BB area when i put power down. Ive diagnosed this as the most likley area as it only makes the noise when im pedaling and increases in intensity the harder i push. Not the seat as it occurs when pedal standing up, its actually worse then.

I've taken everything apart down there, cleaned, re greased etc. Ive inspected the frame, chainring, bearings, cranks, the pedals have been removed, threads checked, reinstalled etc and all seems to be in order. Any thing else it could be down there at i may have not known to check? Whats the next incremental change i can do if i cant diagnose? eg replace press fit BB bearings?
Pivot bearings and shock bushes? I had an annoying creak and it was coming from one of my shock bushes