The QUICK question thread.....

cokeonspecialtwodollars

Fartes of Portingale
so Ive noticed creaking coming from my BB area when i put power down. Ive diagnosed this as the most likley area as it only makes the noise when im pedaling and increases in intensity the harder i push. Not the seat as it occurs when pedal standing up, its actually worse then.

I've taken everything apart down there, cleaned, re greased etc. Ive inspected the frame, chainring, bearings, cranks, the pedals have been removed, threads checked, reinstalled etc and all seems to be in order. Any thing else it could be down there at i may have not known to check? Whats the next incremental change i can do if i cant diagnose? eg replace press fit BB bearings?
I've chased a similar annoying creak to the derailleur hanger once, removed it, cleaned out the dust, put a thin smear of grease down and creak be gone. Check all of the things.

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
I've got the oneup now, just looking at 40mm rise 35mm clamp dia bar options. 780 is how my bars are cut now, so no drama. Wanting to sus out if the premium gets me anything that others don't do (like the oneup claims re its oval shape etc).
They are great bars and a world away from the Alu 35mm clamp bars and carbon Santa Cruz bars I have ridden. Though have never tried any other carbon 35mm bars.

I have both OneUp 20mm rise and 35mm rise versions on my Spur and Highlander.

dirtdad

Wants to be special but is too shy
Any thing else it could be down there at i may have not known to check? Whats the next incremental change i can do if i cant diagnose? eg replace press fit BB bearings?
I've had some success with water bottle diagnosis of a pivot squeak in the past.
When you hear it out riding, stop and squirt some water at the pivots/pedals/bb/etc you think are causing it. Try them one at a time. If it stops squeaking you may have found your dry spot. But the water will dry out and it will squeak again, so need to pull apart and clean/regrease as appropriate.

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
I've had some success with water bottle diagnosis of a pivot squeak in the past.
When you hear it out riding, stop and squirt some water at the pivots/pedals/bb/etc you think are causing it. Try them one at a time. If it stops squeaking you may have found your dry spot. But the water will dry out and it will squeak again, so need to pull apart and clean/regrease as appropriate.
Squidfayce has an Infiniti Link down there on the Yeti.

Chainring interface with crank, pedal spindles and bb cups.

Also check for cracked carbon.

Next eliminate stem/steerer, spacers, bar/stem and top cap.

Last edited:

Squidfayce

Eats Squid
They are great bars and a world away from the Alu 35mm clamp bars and carbon Santa Cruz bars I have ridden. Though have never tried any other carbon 35mm bars.

I have both OneUp 20mm rise and 35mm rise versions on my Spur and Highlander.
yeha i got the 20. seems good. nothing really to compae it to though. considdered the 35 as it woul dbe 120 bucks cheaper, but figured if i go 40, and its to high, i can drop it on the stack, but i cant make the 35 higher as im right at the top of the steerer as it is.

Squidfayce

Eats Squid
Squidfayce has and Infiniti Link down there on the Yeti.

Chainring interface with crank, pedal spindles and bb cups.

Also check for cracked carbon.

Next eliminate stem/steerer, spacers, bar/stem and top cap.
I've pulled the infinity out a couple weeks ago and gave it a service and a lube with yeti's moly grease. The carbon looks ok down there (at the BB). Gave it a good look over. May need to look over the frame as a whole next just in case. That has been my biggest concern in general.

The chain ring, crank, pedal spindles and bb cups have all been taken apart, inspected, cleaned to a brand new finish - not it. Only other possible thing i feel it could be down there is bearings, but thats a last resort fix as i dont have the tools for extracting them.

while i know creaks can carry in funny ways, im certain its not coming from the steerer.

Squidfayce

Eats Squid
My rear Axle was a bit loose, not heaps but enough to let the hub move in the drop outs, and it sounded like the BB was well and truly stuffed
ill take a look, easy to do. I d say i would be able to hear it when not peddaling but given the hub noise totally impossible to tell. Cheers

rockmoose

his flabber is totally gastered
I've pulled the infinity out a couple weeks ago and gave it a service and a lube with yeti's moly grease. The carbon looks ok down there (at the BB). Gave it a good look over. May need to look over the frame as a whole next just in case. That has been my biggest concern in general.

The chain ring, crank, pedal spindles and bb cups have all been taken apart, inspected, cleaned to a brand new finish - not it. Only other possible thing i feel it could be down there is bearings, but thats a last resort fix as i dont have the tools for extracting them.

while i know creaks can carry in funny ways, im certain its not coming from the steerer.
To clarify, when you serviced the SI, did you service ALL the linkage and pivot bearings? I imagine you would, since the whole frame is apart, but not certain you have. If you haven't, I would almost guarantee this is where your noise is coming from.

Squidfayce

Eats Squid
To clarify, when you serviced the SI, did you service ALL the linkage and pivot bearings? I imagine you would, since the whole frame is apart, but not certain you have. If you haven't, I would almost guarantee this is where your noise is coming from.
nah the whole frame doesnt have to come apart to get the SI out on the sb150. SO i did not service anything else.

rockmoose

nah the whole frame doesnt have to come apart to get the SI out on the sb150. SO i did not service anything else.
Do a quick bounce test out in your driveway. Mine started squawking and the crew I was riding were adamant it was my bb. I ignored my bb (which will still need to be done soon), and regreased all my suspension doodads. Blissfull silence and buttery smoothness.

Oddjob

Merry fucking Xmas to you assholes
Chain-less run time... or possibly new bike time?.
It's a Yeti, definitely new bike time. If it's not the SI system, then it's the pressfit bb, if it's not that, it's a crack.

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

rockmoose

It will be best all round if you just turn it into a medium, or even better a small, and post it down to me.

You don't need this sort of stress in your life.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Pedal axles...

Fork axle and rear axle of frame, both can hold moisture and shit or come loose and creak under pressure of pedal strokes. While I reckon Lucaw is closer to the mark, these are much faster and easier to check than his suggestions.