The QUICK question thread.....

moorey

call me Mia
I have a 5mm spacer then topcap. Can i run without a spacer between the stem and the topcap?

The bars are looking more the option (of cardy's suggestion isnt the solution). at least that way if i dont like it or it doesnt work, its a component thats not hard to get rid of.
I prefer a bit of steerer above the stem WHERE POSSIBLE….but as stated, depends on the stem a bit too.

Squidfayce

Eats Squid
think id rather chance bars with higher rise than f around with the stem/spacers/topcap experiments.

Looks like my approach priority will be-

Saddle forward, post up
bars
if still not fixed, chance the 3mm difference on a Raceface turbine 32mm stem (or other suitable stem)
sell the bike :p

HamboCairns

Thanks for all the bananas
think id rather chance bars with higher rise than f around with the stem/spacers/topcap experiments.

Saddle forward, post up
bars
if still not fixed, chance the 3mm difference on a Raceface turbine 32mm stem (or other suitable stem)
sell the bike :p
Higher rise bars won't decrease reach though. Maybe try different grips - Deity Supracush have a 34mm outer diameter and would reduce reach by a few mm.

Squidfayce

Eats Squid
Higher rise bars won't decrease reach though. Maybe try different grips - Deity Supracush have a 34mm outer diameter and would reduce reach by a few mm.
they might not, but if it puts me in a more upright position i may not be putting as much weight on the palms. Ill have a look at the grips, but i get the feeling its not the solution. Maybe in combination with the 3mm stem difference? In any case just spotted some cheap alloy bars i could test this out with before committing to something half decent in carbon. hoping on Cardy's idea solving the problem, then i dont have to explain to my wiofe why my bike needs yet another piece of gear

Squidfayce

Eats Squid
they might not, but if it puts me in a more upright position i may not be putting as much weight on the palms. Ill have a look at the grips, but i get the feeling its not the solution. Maybe in combination with the 3mm stem difference? In any case just spotted some cheap alloy bars i could test this out with before committing to something half decent in carbon. hoping on Cardy's idea solving the problem, then i dont have to explain to my wiofe why my bike needs yet another piece of gear
Im also assuming that with higher rise i could angle the rise towards myself?

Minlak

custom titis
Maybe! -- The bars will have Rise : That's the height - Sweep - Will be the angle back and or up

View attachment 380954
FFS I keep pressing the wrong button - So depending on the actual shape of the bars you may lose rise to angle them back more - And you may also then sit further back on the seat to feel like they are in the rigth spot

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)

Saddle forward, post up
FYI - this will often put more weight on your hands. The more forward you go relative to the BB the further forward your weight bias shifts.

Higher rise bars won't decrease reach though.
Well, except that they do. Because the riser part of the bars is aligned with the head angle of the bike, the higher you go the shorter the arm's reach* to the bars becomes (because the head tube/steerer/bar rise is angled back toward the rider). It's not typical to square the rise of the bars to true vertical, because that's equivalent to running a longer stem, which is going to do some wacky stuff to the handling of the bike, and also create a bunch of unwanted rise in the sweep of the bars.

Maybe try different grips - Deity Supracush have a 34mm outer diameter and would reduce reach by a few mm.
Average grip size is around 31-32mm diameter, so you're only talking 1-2mm difference maximum - and that's before accounting for the extra squish of the Supracush.

*Good point @fjohn860

Last edited:

leitch

Feelin' a bit rrranty
FYI - this will put more weight on your hands. The more forward you go relative to the BB the further forward your weight bias shifts.
Yeah this one's a bit vague. Weight bias shifts further forward relative to bike/BB, but bringing your butt and hands closer together typically shifts weight onto your saddle by bringing you more upright.

@Squidfayce I'd be putting the 5mm spacer under your stem to start, returning the saddle to a neutral position (i.e. not rammed either front or back), and then experiment with rolling your bars back/higher rise.

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)
Yeah this one's a bit vague. Weight bias shifts further forward relative to bike/BB, but bringing your butt and hands closer together typically shifts weight onto your saddle by bringing you more upright.
Yeah true, in my haste to "gaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah, WTF Hambo?" reply I made the statement a bit too absolute. Like you say there's a bunch of weird flexibility/physiology/body weight distribution variables that come into play with cockpit/saddle positioning.

HamboCairns

Thanks for all the bananas
Well, except that they do. Because the riser part of the bars is aligned with the head angle of the bike, the higher you go the shorter the arm's reach* to the bars becomes (because the head tube/steerer/bar rise is angled back toward the rider). It's not typical to square the rise of the bars to true vertical, because that's equivalent to running a longer stem, which is going to do some wacky stuff to the handling of the bike, and also create a bunch of unwanted rise in the sweep of the bars.
Good point, you're right.

I do square the rise of the bar, is that why you keep telling me to roll them back a bit?