The Photo Snob Thread

alexx23

Likes Dirt
saMfish, awesome. Very interesting photo! Pose and lighting are spot on. The depth and detail is insane! One of my favourite images I have seen posted in this thread.

Chalkie

Likes Dirt
You work as a window cleaner on a high rise apartment and its just a candid photo you took on your iphone during last nights shift?

Last edited:

Oliver.

Liquid Productions
Great work Sam. You might be able to correct the lens distortion in camera raw. In my opinion, I usually prefer the distortion, as most lenses distort by bulging in the centre of the frame, bringing the subject closer and making them stand out from the background.

saMfish

Likes Dirt
Thanks man, yeah you can do it in photoshop (filter > lens correction). It uses the lens profile and how close the subject is to work out how much it's distorted, then corrects it. You can also correct vignetting (useful on full frame, though I often like the natural vignette) as well as chromatic abberation. I printed it at a2 today, stoked with the detail in the reflection. Hmm. I wonder just how big I could get this printed.

Unlearn

Likes Dirt
Double post, and going back a couple of pages...

Craig, you've done well man, was looking forward to seeing the results!

Sam91

Likes Bikes
Awesome work Sam! lighting is bang on, just love the concept! I too would leave the correction, it creates a nice juxtaposition with the clean and elegant concept you have going..

Here is one of mine from another single cover shoot recently, what are your thoughts?
IMG_9106s.jpg

trt-reece

Likes Dirt
Hey all, been a long time since I've been here, and I must admit, the quality of everyone's work has risen since I left. To the point where I'm hesitant to come back. Seriously impressive photos over the last pages.

Sam (on other page), it would be interesting to see a copy with distortion corrected, just cos.
Sam (on this page), his pose reminds me of '80's glamour shots, clutching the collar and all. That said, I dig. But I ain't the first word in portraits, someone else could offer a more constructive response..

Anyway, I have found myself settled in Nairobi, Kenya, with, until now, an old SRT101 to serve me. After losing every third roll to the developers, I decided enough was enough and bought some new lenses for my 40D, which was busy gathering dust and weighing down my backpack (My lens died over a year ago, and in a quest to save weight in the pack, only brought the one, and my S90 was stolen in Italy). But now, after 12 months of travelling with no functioning digital camera, I have just acquired a Canon 85 f1.8, and it feels good...

I have only played for one afternoon, just with natural light, but I see potential in this lens. These are both kids from the children's centre my mum manages here.

7117723945_659a9900a3_z.jpg

6971647070_a523865f10_z.jpg

JSPhoto

Likes Bikes and Dirt
so, its been quite some time since I was last in here actually posting, and I'm a bit embarrassed to post anything up because everyone else has just smashed it out and i've been a bit left behind I reckon, but never the less, I am here, and I shall post.

That moment when you realize your actually in the complete middle of no where

That even shitter moment when even 44" snow tires can't save you

JSPhoto

Likes Bikes and Dirt
For some reason I always thought Iceland was a lush green place, with Greenland being the one covered in ice... Either way, incredible situation to have captured!

Haha, its not always snowed under, in summer is quite green, not exactpy lush though. Greenland is however always snowed under hahs, so your outlook is pretty bang on.

alexx23

Likes Dirt
Cool shots Karnige182, I feel like its missing some highlights though, too much recovery perhaps. Just a bit grey, could be the cameras metering system.

The backdrop is wrapping paper, haha. I tried everything I could to stop the reflections. It wasn't going to happen, so i decided to use a single 430exII on camera to try and hide the reflections. Didn't work, back ground aside, i like it!

Ahh mannn, did not see white specks on jacket.

alexx23

Likes Dirt
Fair enough! That place looks amazing.

Off topic: Does anyone find that photography gets girls?

Ill attach a photo.

Again, flat lighting. I wish the whole background looked like it does around the outside of the image.

Last edited: