The Photo Snob Thread

CraigS

Likes Dirt
You mean like this Alex?

6987838686_e7e25687b3_b.jpg

As for your question about girls, I've got girls contacting me constantly to do shoots.
Unfortunately that's all I can do due to being married but that's ok with me too, it's a business after all.

alexx23

Likes Dirt
Hahhahaha, yeah like that. I wasn't going to even bother attempting to fix it, well done. How did you do that?!

I don't just mean if they want their photo taken, just in general, seems to do me alot of favours. Im sure others can relate!

CraigS

Likes Dirt
Simple, just used the dodge tool on "Shadows" until I removed all the glare from the flash.

Ask Jayden about the girl situation, he seems to be getting a fair bit of attention from the opposite sex

Jaydawgz

Likes Dirt
Simple, just used the dodge tool on "Shadows" until I removed all the glare from the flash.

Ask Jayden about the girl situation, he seems to be getting a fair bit of attention from the opposite sex
HAHAHAHA Craig, you must be kidding! :p

If you do a lot of parties and stuff, it's good fun. Like, with the camera, I have heaps more confidence, but when I'm out, without it, I feel almost lost.

Jaydawgz

Likes Dirt
I hate year 12. Never have a chance to go and shoot something other than parties and such, work.
Had family over on sunday, everyone was taking photos of my new cousin, so I thought I might as well pull out my camera for 2 minutes.

Edit: cbf, just realized how soft the first is and how off my watermark is.

IMG_2852.jpgIMG_2845.jpg

wombat

Lives in a hole
Well, thanks to Leitch/Tris/some other imposter with a B&W avatar, I've added a 135 L to my collection. So far it seems like $750 well spent. Length is great, F2 is great, and the AF speed is pretty good too, although I think the AF on the 5D is always the weakest link anyway.
It's a bummer that it's 72mm filter thread though, I want to grab an ND400, but need a 77mm for the 24-70. Would a step down ring be fine on the 135? Or am I gonna risk some vignetting?

Question: anyone used PS Touch on Android? I'm gonna grab a tablet to take away. and I'm considering splurging on a Asus Prime, 'cause the grunt is bound to help for something like some quick PS tweaking. That said, if the app blows I could just get something cheaper, and bludge my brother's MBP when I really need it.

Also, whilst I was adding lenses to my collection, my old man was adding a member to our extended family:

Harry-1.jpg
Posted largely for cuteness.

AngoXC

Wheel size expert
I want to grab an ND400, but need a 77mm for the 24-70. Would a step down ring be fine on the 135? Or am I gonna risk some vignetting?
You'll be fine. You might get some fall off if you stack filters over the top though.

If you're looking at screw in 'big stoppers', get the B+W 'ND 110' - it's a 10-stop (as opposed to the ND400 which is 9), features a brass ring (apparently less inclined to 'fuse' to your lens/existing filters) and if you buy locally, B+W/Schneider will replace it free of charge.

JSPhoto

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Re: tablets and photoshop

I have a tablet I purchased off ebay, dual boot win7/andriod, I have PS instaled in both andriod and in win7, I have to say that using it.natively with touch is rather easy with andriod but its not super in depth, but its excellent for on the go quick touch ups, using PS in win7 is of course just like using it with a PC occasionally theres some confusion but all in all its freakin awesome, here my isses, imageRaw needs a.native screen res of 1024x768, my tablet is not that, so it technically doesnt fit per-say, but besides that I prefer using photoshop through the win7 part. The tab is some home brand frm china, but, its awesome, 1.66ghz dual core, hyperthreadable (i overclocked it, I am way to pc nerd, so.its @ 2ghz) and 2gb of ram, running windows 7 pro, smooth as butter, will run PS and imagenimic for HDR absolutely no issue at all, 1080p movir playback is jittery but I dont care all that much, I have photos as proof that it runs PS if theres no belief here :p. I know thats all rather useless as you asked about PS touch for andriod, so here.more on thag, I do like it, its simple to use, however to my knowledge there are no plug-ins available, it doesnt have any aort of cameraRaw input, and its not in depth, hoowever, its very easy to use on touch oriented devices, what it has it does extremely well amd its cheap as chips, so thats always good.I am lead to believe that its not available on all andriod touch devices though, perhaps check to see the tab is compatible?

Xplor

Likes Dirt
Thoughts on Manfrotto 055XPROB tripod and Manfrotto 501HDV head? Primary use for filming on DSLR and also still photography.

AngoXC

Wheel size expert
Thoughts on Manfrotto 055XPROB tripod and Manfrotto 501HDV head? Primary use for filming on DSLR and also still photography.
Are you primarily using it for filming?

The 501HDV is will only provide moment on two-axes (panoramic rotation and front-rear tilt). For video, you couldn't want a better head but for stills, you won't have the side tilt for switching to portrait orientation. Obviously you could opt for a 3-way pan head but you'll loose the fluid-motion of the video-specific heads.

EDIT: 055 Magnesium Photo-Movie Head might be worth considering as it is literally designed as a 'best of both worlds' head. I'd imagine there would be more heads like this out there too.

Good luck!

faz

Likes Dirt
I had the 501 video head at the last job I worked, got it mainly because the budget wouldn't stretch far enough to get a Miller setup. I found it difficult to like the head coming from using my own Miller DS10 head. Saying that, it works well enough. I get creeped out though when I see video heads on camera tripods with the middle pole extended, but that's just me.

Andrew Benson

Likes Dirt
Hey guys just a few recent photos I have taken. I would really like some comments and criticism from some of the more experienced photographers in the thread. I am looking to possibly do something with photography as a career. Also I am tossing up between a Canon 17-40mm f/4 or a 24-70mm f2.8. I am leaning more towards the 17-40 because of the price but maybe you guys could persuade me ;).

_MG_5396 by Andrew Kevin Benson, on Flickr

_MG_1142 by Andrew Kevin Benson, on Flickr

_MG_4879 by Andrew Kevin Benson, on Flickr

_MG_1271 by Andrew Kevin Benson, on Flickr

_MG_2519 by Andrew Kevin Benson, on Flickr
Not to sure about this last one they look a little awkward.

faz

Likes Dirt
Also I am tossing up between a Canon 17-40mm f/4 or a 24-70mm f2.8. I am leaning more towards the 17-40 because of the price but maybe you guys could persuade me ;).
24-70 F2.8 you won't regret it. Sure it costs a little more but with the second version hitting the market in the next month or two you should be able to grab the first version at a somewhat better price.

What body and what other lenses do you already have though?

wombat

Lives in a hole
Hey guys just a few recent photos I have taken. I would really like some comments and criticism from some of the more experienced photographers in the thread. I am looking to possibly do something with photography as a career. Also I am tossing up between a Canon 17-40mm f/4 or a 24-70mm f2.8. I am leaning more towards the 17-40 because of the price but maybe you guys could persuade me ;).
What body? I do really like my 24-70, but generally when I'm using my spare body, which is a 1.6 crop I'll use the old Tammy 17-50 instead. It has issues, and isn't as sharp, plus it kinda sounds like a swarm or locusts, but its worth it for the focal range; 24mm is just too tight.

On a ff body though, yeah I really like the 24-70.

Andrew Benson

Likes Dirt
24-70 F2.8 you won't regret it. Sure it costs a little more but with the second version hitting the market in the next month or two you should be able to grab the first version at a somewhat better price.

What body and what other lenses do you already have though?
Im running a 7d with a 50 1.8 and a 55-250. My main reason to get the 17-50 is I am lacking the short focal range, and I do like to do lanscapes but the f/4 on the 17-40 is questionable when the 2.8 is a very good asset. I'm so close to having enough for a 17-40! but now I am second guessing again!

vtwiz

Likes Dirt
Im running a 7d with a 50 1.8 and a 55-250. My main reason to get the 17-50 is I am lacking the short focal range, and I do like to do lanscapes but the f/4 on the 17-40 is questionable when the 2.8 is a very good asset. I'm so close to having enough for a 17-40! but now I am second guessing again!
Are you talking about the Canon 17-55 2.8?

I have that lens on my 7D and it is brilliant. Definitely a better lens than the 24-70 on a crop sensor camera like the 7D.

If your talking about the 17-40 f4 that I think you previously mentioned then it's a nice lens but is slower at f4, doesn't have as useful a range and lacks IS of the 17-55 2.8. Weather you need those features over the slightly better weather proofing of the 17-40 is up to you.

wombat

Lives in a hole
Is a f/4 limit really going to be an issue for landscapes though? For other stuff I can see what you mean though, so I'd probably go with mr wiz and look at the 17-55. No red ring, but by all accounts it's still a fantastic lens.

Andrew Benson

Likes Dirt
Is a f/4 limit really going to be an issue for landscapes though? For other stuff I can see what you mean though, so I'd probably go with mr wiz and look at the 17-55. No red ring, but by all accounts it's still a fantastic lens.
I have pretty much decided now to go for the 24-70 because of the focal range when it comes to sports, in addition to the 2.8 for the compression in the photos and the extra light. Thanks anyway though guys

sam705

Likes Dirt
Can anyone recommend me a decent underwater digital camera?
Considering getting one as a gift for my girlfriend. I don't have much idea when it comes to cameras so i don't have any minimal requirements, basically just a camera she can use when she goes to the beach ect!
Looking to spend around $250.