The Photo Snob Thread

24alpha

mtbpicsonline.com
Just a couple I took in the backyard today. Not great but meh.
**snip**
Craig, be very careful when posting "flowers". There is a certain mod who hangs out in this thread that dislikes people posting "flowers". You have been warned! lol:D

CraigS

Likes Dirt
Craig, be very careful when posting "flowers". There is a certain mod who hangs out in this thread that dislikes people posting "flowers". You have been warned! lol:D
Ok, I'll try to find something else next time.
Has anyone here used an Andromeda filter before? I picked up one off ebay recently for the low sum of $2.85 with a green filter too (both Hoya) and was trying it out yesterday with not too much success. I can post up a crappy shot if you want an idea.

Drew.

Eats Squid
Ok, I'll try to find something else next time.
Has anyone here used an Andromeda filter before? I picked up one off ebay recently for the low sum of $2.85 with a green filter too (both Hoya) and was trying it out yesterday with not too much success. I can post up a crappy shot if you want an idea.
What exactly does a 'Andromeda' filter acheive?

CraigS

Likes Dirt
What exactly does a 'Andromeda' filter acheive?
I got this effect

I'm sure with more knowledge and practice about these filters, I could get a better result. I was just messing around with it. I kept getting a ghost image in alot of the other shots I took. Didn't download them off the camera.

Drew.

Eats Squid
I got this effect

I'm sure with more knowledge and practice about these filters, I could get a better result. I was just messing around with it. I kept getting a ghost image in alot of the other shots I took. Didn't download them off the camera.
I really dont think you could get a better result, and even if you could, i could never see it being a desirable effect. These novelty filters really are just for that, I would not expect to get a photo using this filter which is really just adding some rainbow/flairing and compromizing over all sharpness of the image. If you want good photos, go and find some worthy subject, don't use these filters, and if you haven't already got it, get photoshop, then learn how to tastefully process photos (no crazy filters, etc).

Edit: ahahha, Tristan. I like it so much, i'm going to program it into my lens *picks up 24-70 L and hammer*

Edit edit: Gripped 40D- $825.

Last edited:

24alpha

mtbpicsonline.com
You see now, Drew? It gives the effect that you've smashed the front element of your lens and have taken a photo looking directly into the sun...
Save your $2.85 and just smash your lens before taking the shot directly into the sun!:D:eek:

edit...someone beat me to it.

downhillar

Likes Dirt
hey i was wondering if anyone had any tips on taking night photos without a flash?
iso settings and exposure etc etc?

i climbed up a tower crane one night last week, tried to take some pics while i was up there. a lot of the close up ones are really noisey.

i know you need a longer exposure time but is there anything else i can do to enhance the quality of the image?

Drew.

Eats Squid
hey i was wondering if anyone had any tips on taking night photos without a flash?
iso settings and exposure etc etc?

i climbed up a tower crane one night last week, tried to take some pics while i was up there. a lot of the close up ones are really noisey.

i know you need a longer exposure time but is there anything else i can do to enhance the quality of the image?
low aperture, long exposure, lowish ISO to keep noise down. But unless you've got a modern body, there is always going to be noticable noise in night shots, it hasn't been untill the new range (canon speaking) with the 5d II, 1d Mk IIIs where night time noise has been dramatically eliminated.

wazza2282

Likes Dirt
hey guys,

i loved the Andromeda effect and took your advice to shatter the front sheet of glass on my 70-200L. I dont really like the effect though and seems to have had some efffect on the quality of my image. And now im not sure how the put the glass back in...its like a puzzle and the super glue isnt dryin fast enough!