The Photo Snob Thread

Alec McJo

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Was just getting a little practise for the race this Sunday, unfortunately I didn't have my tripods with me :( so the lighting is a bit off. Oh well it helped me learn alot for Sunday :)

Unlearn

Likes Dirt
Was just getting a little practise for the race this Sunday, unfortunately I didn't have my tripods with me :( so the lighting is a bit off. Oh well it helped me learn alot for Sunday :)

Looks way too hard on the flash mate, dial down the power, and open up the shutter a little to bring some more ambient light in as the scene is way too dark. Looks as though it will be a real balancing act but if you get it right it could look sweet!

Last edited:

Alec McJo

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Looks way too hard on the flash mate, dial down the power, and open up the shutter a little to bring some more ambient light in. Looks as though it will be a real balancing act but if you get it right it could look sweet!
Haha, was on my lenses max aperture of F4 :( and I didn't wanna get to slow on the shutters and start blurring them. It was probably my bad doing it so late in the arvo when the sun sets over the hills on the old east coast, and shooting the bottom of the track, but I guess it was more just seeing the track since it's had all the work done on it. I'm hoping I can balance it as you say on Sunday though :)

saMfish

Likes Dirt
and I didn't wanna get to slow on the shutters and start blurring them.
If the place was fairly dark at the time, a slower shutter combined with a flash would have still frozen the rider, as flashes usually emit for something like 1/200 or 1/150 (someone call me out if I'm wrong). This means you should expose for the background, then just shoot the shot when the rider is in mid air. The rider would have been frozen by the flash and the background properly exposed :)

Callan.

Farkin Gorilla.
you can drop the shutter speed if you use flashes, the quick burst of light is enough to freeze the rider.

maybe even use a tripod? can't say I've ever used one for riding shots, but it might help in those dark situations...

DJninja

Likes Bikes and Dirt

Nothing special but just thought I'd share.

I'm having a problem with my aperture priority setting. Basically it always exposes -1 and it is really annoying. I have a feeling It is something I did ages ago when I wanted it but now I don't know how to change it back.

Tristan23

Farkin guerilla
I'm having a problem with my aperture priority setting. Basically it always exposes -1 and it is really annoying. I have a feeling It is something I did ages ago when I wanted it but now I don't know how to change it back.
You might've bumped the shutter dial so it's 1-stop under. Does the exposure compensation slider thingy (that looks like this |---2---1---0---1---2---| on the screen) have the point set to the negative side of zero?

Although that's a shithouse explanation of the problem, it often occurs.

DJninja

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Yeah that's what I mean and it's on the -1 exposure. I just remembered what I've done and your right, thanks. How's the water proof housing going?

Alec McJo

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Bump up the ISO...
I think I had it on 500 haha, I get scared I'm gonna wreck the photo when I play with ISO settings :eek: only time I felt comfortable was those gig shots haha. I think I might do a couple with higher ISO next time if you reckon though.

If the place was fairly dark at the time, a slower shutter combined with a flash would have still frozen the rider, as flashes usually emit for something like 1/200 or 1/150 (someone call me out if I'm wrong). This means you should expose for the background, then just shoot the shot when the rider is in mid air. The rider would have been frozen by the flash and the background properly exposed :)
you can drop the shutter speed if you use flashes, the quick burst of light is enough to freeze the rider.

maybe even use a tripod? can't say I've ever used one for riding shots, but it might help in those dark situations...
Hmm, makes sense haha :) might give that a go next time. I was going to bring 2 tripods for the flashes, and there was one section I so badly wanted it for the camera for a sequence photo. But I somehow managed to forget them. Woops.

leitch

Feelin' a bit rrranty
I think I had it on 500 haha, I get scared I'm gonna wreck the photo when I play with ISO settings :eek: only time I felt comfortable was those gig shots haha. I think I might do a couple with higher ISO next time if you reckon though.
500 is not a native ISO. Use native ISO settings - 100, 200, 400, 800, 1600 etc... The non-native sensitivities (250, 320 etc) are faked by the processor and as such actually contribute to lesser IQ. For example, your ISO 500 setting would have been disproportionately more noisy than 400, and pretty similar to the noise you would get at 800. Don't be afraid to push your 40D (?) to 800 and even 1600 at a pinch.

Also, the greatest limiting factor on noise is proper exposure, so don't be afraid to push your ISO a bit if you're keeping the exposure right - it's when you start to get a bit under exposed that the noise becomes obvious in the darker areas of the frame.

Oliver.

Liquid Productions
500 is not a native ISO. Use native ISO settings - 100, 200, 400, 800, 1600 etc... The non-native sensitivities (250, 320 etc) are faked by the processor and as such actually contribute to lesser IQ. For example, your ISO 500 setting would have been disproportionately more noisy than 400, and pretty similar to the noise you would get at 800. Don't be afraid to push your 40D (?) to 800 and even 1600 at a pinch.
Andrew has highlighted a very important point, that any ISO in between these settings is basically just digitized. Although it might seem to make sense to shoot at ISO500, you might as well shoot at 800, the noise levels will be the same.

Even shooting at ISO50 is digitized. It should only be used when you are trying to restrict light. The best ISO on most cameras for maximising IQ is either ISO100 or ISO200, depending on your chips native ISO.

Alec McJo

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Ah, wow haha. I'll have to remember that, real handy to know!

And is a 50D these days btw :)

Definitely keen to see how I go shooting in the middle of the day on Sunday. Woop woop.

maxwolfie

under-the-radar comedian
And now for something completely different... Here's a pic I took tonight with my Pentax K-x and 18-55 kit lens....

A fellow was nice enough to map out what I've actually taken a photo of:

Sam.

Eats Squid
I like it greg!

Aren't those moments of mind power awesome when you awake to a cool thought, this time to do with post processing. Just happened to be right when the morning light was at its prime, ended up with a decent looking photo. Will definitely be using this more in the future.

Last edited:

Sam91

Likes Bikes
Finally have my DSLR!!!!

My parents came back from Hong kong a couple of weeks ago and with that came my new 450D unfortunately was too busy with uni to post my first few pics up until now so here they are! Any C&C would be muchly appreciated!

I had seen a few shots that had been done of cars on here and thought id give it a try.
Unfortunately I dont have an external flash so I just had to walk around with my point and shoot. Planning next time to bounce the light onto the car as well. Any tips on what could be better than the flash off my point and shoot? Any other C&C?

Cheers
Sam

AngoXC

Wheel size expert
^^ First is great! Well done!

Just got back from my own little trip supervising a group of Year 9 Outdoor Ed students. Tell you what, an overgrown pine plantation serves as the BEST location for 'Capture the Flag', especially at night with glowsticks!

(grrr...stood in freezing cold water for about 15 mins supporting the tripod to get this right!)