The Photo Snob Thread

Flip_Whip

Likes Dirt
Ripper shots Gluey!

for the first shot, I would like a mix of colour between the two.
I like the warm feel from the right one, but it feels a little too warm.
And the left one doesn't quite do it for me..
my 2c.

dsquared

Likes Bikes
Hey guys, looking to invest in a new camera to take riding / general panorama shots. Something cheap, quality, and effective.

Around 300-500$ ish

Any ideas?

It'll probably end up being a compact digital but from my experience they are brilliant for the price :)

hardinge915

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Canon G9/G10. Pretty sure they're more then your range, but look on eBay. Can get some great deals, also if any stores have the G9 old stock nab one if the price is right..
Can't comment about Nikon, Sony or any other brand as I've never used one. Others might be able to fill you in more for other brands though.

mr_casual

Likes Dirt

my first go with an external flash.
its unedited and yeah some overexposure on brake lever....
CC is heellllll welcome

saMfish

Likes Dirt
my first go with an external flash.
its unedited and yeah some overexposure on brake lever....
CC is heellllll welcome
Interesting spot for a bike check! I'm liking the lack of light in the background, however some more light to kill off some shadows both on the wall and on the bike would really set this shot off. That and a lower ISO, although it could just be the epic interwebs compression coupled with the uncalibrated monitor I'm currently using.

mr_casual

Likes Dirt
im thinking maybe try using the camera flash too then? or is that not what you meant, move the external closer to camera

saMfish

Likes Dirt
im thinking maybe try using the camera flash too then? or is that not what you meant, move the external closer to camera
Buy a second one :) Experiment and try to find what works man, there are no rules in photography (except of course the rule of thirds :))

Last edited:

Tristan23

Farkin guerilla
Where about's my friend?
Landing in Bali, hanging for 3-5 days, then heading up to Jakarta (probably flying, depending on price, but we might find another way...out of interest, can you suggest anything? We're doing it on the cheap...) and from Jakarta we're going to head across to the Mentawai Islands for around 3 weeks, then we'll head back to Bali the way we came and fly home. Can't wait!

AngoXC

Wheel size expert
...probably flying, depending on price, but we might find another way...
The Timor sea isnt exactly renowned for pleasant 'walks on water', nor bamboo rafts. Fly would be your best option. When there though, take advantage of Ferries and the likes to do your island hopping.

Here is a Q' for the snobs. Nikon takes RAW files under 'NEF' format. On the computer Im using now, I do not have Photoshop, though I have Picasa (reads RAW), the NEF windows codec, Lightroom 2, as well as Nikon's own PictureProject. This was all good for basic conversions/edits when using my old camera but yesterday, when I came to actually retriving a whole heap of photos from my brother's deb ball, Lightroom and Picasa inverted all the colours and Picture Project wouldnt even recignise them.

Does the D40X and D90 take 'different' NEF files?

wrongie

Likes Dirt
450D for sale...

Righto kiddies.

Any of you snobbers looking for a pretty much brand spanking new 450D? I reckon less than 2000 shots, and looks mint. Two tiny tiny scratches on the LCD from where my camera bag rubbed - other than that it's perfect.

You tell me what the going rate is...

leitch

Feelin' a bit rrranty
Gluey, does the ST-E2 have any programing, or is it all done on the 580?
ST-E2 has controls for ratios (A:B), high speed sync, and a channel selector. Other than changing the power ratio between groups A and B, other power adjustments have to be done on the flashes. ST-E2 also conveys the information for automatic flash zoom settings, E-TTL and has an awesome focus assist beam.

Tristan23

Farkin guerilla
The Timor sea isnt exactly renowned for pleasant 'walks on water', nor bamboo rafts. Fly would be your best option. When there though, take advantage of Ferries and the likes to do your island hopping.
I thought flying would be the easiest method. I'll just stick to that until we get to Jakarta.

Out of interest, can you tell me the price of a flight to/from Jakarta to/from Bali?

g-fish

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Who's snobbing at le five dock jam tomorrow?

I'm stealing littlemans camera, first time i've been shooting in months.. should be a party.

24alpha

mtbpicsonline.com
ST-E2 has controls for ratios (A:B), high speed sync, and a channel selector. Other than changing the power ratio between groups A and B, other power adjustments have to be done on the flashes. ST-E2 also conveys the information for automatic flash zoom settings, E-TTL and has an awesome focus assist beam.
Thanks Andrew, appreciate the info.

Anyone interested in a:
Nikon F50 with,
Tamron AF 28 - 80mm F3.5 - 5.8 and
Tamron AF 80 - 210mm F4.5 - 5.6.

Film camera for those wanting to get into it. Going pretty cheap.
Offers over $100.

24alpha

mtbpicsonline.com
Last weekend I was out shooting moto for the 1st time in my life. Skipped on an awesome looking Baw Baw and shot these. I had more fun anyway.
C&C appreciated.

Cheers

Hux