The gaming thread

Dozer

Heavy machinery.
Staff member
Metro: Last Light was great.
Love the atmosphere in that game... I played on PC though, back in early 2013.
There's a 'Redux' version out now, dunno how different it is though.

Either way, grab Metro 2033 Redux and Metro Last Light Redux. :)
Is it a similar feel to Fallout 3? I've been on the fence with the Metro stuff for a while now (...........whoa, that sounds bad!).
I'm in a gaming lull at the moment and have grabbed Assasin's Creed Black Flag for PS4 to fill the time until The Order arrives. I loved Shadow of Mordor and some said it feels, even rips off Assasins Creed but after playing both now, I can safely say that Shadow of Mordor plays way better than Assasins Creed. Still, I'm intrigued and am enjoying it.

kbekus

Likes Dirt
Is it a similar feel to Fallout 3? I've been on the fence with the Metro stuff for a while now (...........whoa, that sounds bad!).
I'm in a gaming lull at the moment and have grabbed Assasin's Creed Black Flag for PS4 to fill the time until The Order arrives. I loved Shadow of Mordor and some said it feels, even rips off Assasins Creed but after playing both now, I can safely say that Shadow of Mordor plays way better than Assasins Creed. Still, I'm intrigued and am enjoying it.
Just started playing Shadow of Mordor and I'm loving it! I'll have to try the Batman games which allegedly have a similar combat feel.

Bryce88

Likes Dirt
Just got to level 30 on Destiny yay go me
Does Destiny improve? Currently level 16 but find it kind of repetitive, also I haven't yet bothered with a PS4+ account yet so can't do some of the missions - I will get one - eventually.

Ezkaton

Eats Squid
Just started playing Shadow of Mordor and I'm loving it! I'll have to try the Batman games which allegedly have a similar combat feel.
Allegedly?
I'd go as far to say Shadow of Mordor completely ripped off all aspects of combat from the Batman Arkham games. :p

Dozer

Heavy machinery.
Staff member
Allegedly?
I'd go as far to say Shadow of Mordor completely ripped off all aspects of combat from the Batman Arkham games. :p
I reckon they are probably the best free flowing combat systems in use. I'd gladly have tons of games copy that model and use it. ;)
Speaking of the Batmangames, the next title could be the best action game invented. I'm so excited for it!

Ezkaton

Eats Squid
I think it was far more feasible in Batman. Jumping long distances between enemy to attack them, etc.

Whereas Mordor just looked silly.

I dunno, I couldn't dig it. Barely made it through the tutorial before uninstalling it. Just felt like a joke... Total rip of Batman and Assassin's Creed, just hiding under the Lord of the Rings theme.

Bermshot

Banned
Anyone here still playing Gears 3? Hadn't played in over a year until 4 days ago. Love it.

Old Xbox only, mostly war games. PM for user name (not for world truth info OK)

Com'n POSM, we'll take on the sniping kids in Blk Op's 2, i'm sick of those little rats, and rarely get to work with people that can manoeuvre. Unfortunately Battlefield 4, due to bowing to my sons demands, has left me defunct and giftwrapped.

Dozer

Heavy machinery.
Staff member
I think it was far more feasible in Batman. Jumping long distances between enemy to attack them, etc.

Whereas Mordor just looked silly.

I dunno, I couldn't dig it. Barely made it through the tutorial before uninstalling it. Just felt like a joke... Total rip of Batman and Assassin's Creed, just hiding under the Lord of the Rings theme.
I love that style of gameplay and it is easily my game of the year for 2014.
You should've stayed with it, it is bloody brilliant when you gain extra abilities.

kbekus

Likes Dirt
I love that style of gameplay and it is easily my game of the year for 2014.
You should've stayed with it, it is bloody brilliant when you gain extra abilities.
I'll get onto the Batman games then... and +1 to trying for a while beyond the tutorial.... I came out of the tutorial almost none the wiser but persevered and just love it now. I've unlocked almost all the specials and it's a bit silly now how OP my character is, but it's just so much fun to romp through a horde of orcs liberating them of their heads - the dialogue when this happens cracks me up, they tease each other about it while in the middle of combat. I'm not 100% sold on the random powerups the captains get though, I came across 3 in a group all that were immune to combat finishers and only weak against explosions.... trying to find a fire or barrel to explode while fighting these ranged dudes with poison spears that could 1 hit me wasn't all that pretty.

I just ignore the Lord of the Rings theming tbh. It's all fiction after all, Batman or LoTR...

Bermshot

Banned
I'll get onto the Batman games then... and +1 to trying for a while beyond the tutorial.... I came out of the tutorial almost none the wiser but persevered and just love it now. I've unlocked almost all the specials and it's a bit silly now how OP my character is, but it's just so much fun to romp through a horde of orcs liberating them of their heads - the dialogue when this happens cracks me up, they tease each other about it while in the middle of combat. I'm not 100% sold on the random powerups the captains get though, I came across 3 in a group all that were immune to combat finishers and only weak against explosions.... trying to find a fire or barrel to explode while fighting these ranged dudes with poison spears that could 1 hit me wasn't all that pretty.

I just ignore the Lord of the Rings theming tbh. It's all fiction after all, Batman or LoTR...
I will have to presume this PC magic.

kbekus

Likes Dirt
You were talking PC, cool. The o'l Amiga 500 did it for me.

What does it cost for a proper humming gaming PC?
yeah, Amigas were awesome, but they've been gone a while.

As for PCs, how much do you want to spend? :) There's some cool shit out there, 34" curved massive widescreen monitors, or triple monitor setups... do you have much space? Or maybe a gaming laptop so you can be semi-mobile? You could set up a reasonable machine for a grand I guess

Bermshot

Banned
yeah, Amigas were awesome, but they've been gone a while.

As for PCs, how much do you want to spend? :) There's some cool shit out there, 34" curved massive widescreen monitors, or triple monitor setups... do you have much space? Or maybe a gaming laptop so you can be semi-mobile? You could set up a reasonable machine for a grand I guess
No just info sussing dude, bikes cost heaps and i'm looking at more! Was wondering, like you said above but the trick shit, water cooled etc.

wespelarno

Likes Dirt
The challenge is that the upper limit is basically indefinite. Quad graphic cards and an overclocked top end processor all on a custom liquid cooling system can push over 10k very quickly. Add in some 1tb SSD's and that will hit $15k equally as quickly. It is also total overkill and I can't really think of a situation where it would be useful.

More realistically, $1500-$2000 will buy a really solid rig with a self contained liquid cooling system built by a custom computer store. Monitors extra on top depending on requirements.

mik_git

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Does Destiny improve? Currently level 16 but find it kind of repetitive, also I haven't yet bothered with a PS4+ account yet so can't do some of the missions - I will get one - eventually.
There's the problem, I got to level 20 just by playing the campainy bit, which is like the max actual level, but to get all the good crap (amour) that gets you to higher "levels" or whatever the hell it is, you have to do the vangaurd and cruicible stuff. I got to 25 pretty quick, but then stayed there for ages as i didn't know about the vangard/crucible "money" and ranks inside those, then 2 bits of armour and i'm on 28... lots of grinding though, doing bounties.

Skydome

What's invisible and smells like hay?
The challenge is that the upper limit is basically indefinite. Quad graphic cards and an overclocked top end processor all on a custom liquid cooling system can push over 10k very quickly. Add in some 1tb SSD's and that will hit $15k equally as quickly. It is also total overkill and I can't really think of a situation where it would be useful.

More realistically, $1500-$2000 will buy a really solid rig with a self contained liquid cooling system built by a custom computer store. Monitors extra on top depending on requirements.
Depends what you want to do I guess.

I could build a system while keeping it under 10k excluding monitors and keyboard/mouse which would still equally kick some ass.

GTX 990 4GB Gigabyte gaming 3 mobo i7 4990k I think the cpu was I chose, 16gb ddr3 ram 1,500 watt psu two 800gb ssd's and one 2tb drive.

But once you start adding more than one gpu in the price pushes up a shit ton, and it doesn't give you a huge benefit imo so it's better to just stick with one, you'll have less issues too.

But if you want to add a wizz bang cpu that'll easily set you back a grand or so, ditto gpu.

3viltoast3r

Likes Bikes and Dirt
You should be able to do a fairly solid build for <$1500 including a monitor. An i5/970 is fine for gaming.

Last edited:

bell.cameron

Likes Dirt
GTX 990 4GB Gigabyte gaming 3 mobo i7 4990k I think the cpu was I chose, 16gb ddr3 ram 1,500 watt psu two 800gb ssd's and one 2tb drive.

But once you start adding more than one gpu in the price pushes up a shit ton, and it doesn't give you a huge benefit imo so it's better to just stick with one, you'll have less issues too.
Why the fuck would you need a 1500W PSU for that??? Extreme overkill.

As for price I'm running Strix GTX970 slightly overclocked, Asus Dual core i5 3570 also overclocked, 16gb DDR3 and a 120gb SSD (because why would you need any more??) with a 1TB HDD + multiple externals for movies, photos etc, (off a 650W PSU) which would have cost me no more than 1500. My big killer was my monitor, an ASUS pb278 which cost me around $600 from memory. All this is more than enough to run 99% of games at full graphics, the limiting factor by far being my graphics, can max out GPU while CPU runs at only about 35-40%. Only game I struggle with is AC Unity which chews your graphics power, although it is so amazing it does give me a little bit of a semi every time i load it up.

Also unless you want to wait for the release of GTX1080(??? i think) graphics stick with a 970. the extra cost for a 990 for a (maybe) 20% increase in performance is not worth it.

Last edited: