The gaming thread

C0na

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Unless you're playing ARMA. :p
Yeh, bit of exception, that game was poorly written and the game is just horrible at utilizing multi-core systems.
Here is an example of how little cpu makes in gameplay:
http://www.hardwarepal.com/planetside-2-cpu-benchmark/ But there are exceptions for some (poorly coded) games.

Keen for GTA 5 in pc, played it on ps3 but my OCD couldn't cope with the shitty fps it was running at. Hoping it will be a good performing game on PC.

Last edited:

Ezkaton

Eats Squid
The release date and specs for GTA V were released today... and they're not as high as I was expecting!
My 2 year old build still exceeds the recommended.

As for ARMA, yeah it's a bit of a shit... the series is still using (albeit heavily modified) the same core engine from 2001's Operation Flashpoint.
Bohemia really need to do a fresh engine for the next game in the series, something that will be able to fully utilize modern hardware.

Funnily enough, RAM speed makes the biggest difference in ARMA III performance, it's just a shame that RAM over 2000MHz starts getting stupidly expensive.

I still love the game (and series) to death, though. There's nothing else like it.

Skydome

What's invisible and smells like hay?
You've done something wrong there, at max an gtx 980 with a 5960x will draw - 395w draw
and with a titan z - Max 623w draw (and its really a workstation card anyway, silly to be used as a gaming gpu)

Besides a cpu like that will literary have 0-1% performance gain over a i5 4790k - go have a look at some benchmarks. Games are not cpu bound, a i5 will not be a bottleneck.
I was just using the psu calculator that cooler master has, which has the options of adding in hdd's as well drives, so it's a combined system power I suppose.

And 4k is becoming more main stream, GTA V will have support for 4k res

I still don't know why we're arguing about this, seems kinda trivial to be arguing about system power draw lol.

But If I had money I'd probably go 5960x or high end i7 haswell or whatever it's called, and drop a 290x or 295x2 once it becomes more affordable or drop in a 980 or something and 2 ssd's and one 4tb hdd for storage, probably go a ddr4 kit if I had that much money too

Last edited:

indica

Serial flasher
Dead Nation in 2 player is quite good fun.
I finished COD AW and really liked it, good bit of different stuff - tank/ boat/ plane - and downloaded PSN games and having a look thorugh them.
Got Diablo III as it is 2 player as well.
Dying Light looks like it could be fun.

will2

Likes Dirt
Dead Nation in 2 player is quite good fun.

I finished COD AW and really liked it, good bit of different stuff - tank/ boat/ plane - and downloaded PSN games and having a look thorugh them.

Got Diablo III as it is 2 player as well.

Dying Light looks like it could be fun.

Did you play world at War? Favorite CoD by the way. It had heaps of different stuff in the single player running around in Lancaster bombers shooting planes, using tanks and others (its been ages). If you have a spare rainy day and sick of other games its mad and decently long too.

Intense1

Banned
Does anyone still play Halo 3 online? Is it hard to find a match?

I'm looking at getting a second hand 360 of gumtree or maybe a new xbox 1. for nostalgic purposes

Used to be right into Halo 3 and had a lot of great times

Bryce88

Likes Dirt
Remote play for PS4?

I'm due for a phone upgrade and can't decide between the Galaxy S5 and the Xperia Z3.

I am slightly leaning towards the Z3 because of the Remote play feature but was curious as to if anyone ever uses it or is it just a gimmick?

C0na

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I'm due for a phone upgrade and can't decide between the Galaxy S5 and the Xperia Z3.

I am slightly leaning towards the Z3 because of the Remote play feature but was curious as to if anyone ever uses it or is it just a gimmick?
Technically you can get remote play working on any Android phone (4.4+), but it requires a little technical knowledge.
As for the Z3, it works, but not very well. If your thinking of doing it over 4g then forget it. For home use, you need a good router that supports 5ghz with a solid connection.

I use a program called limelight which is the same thing, just for PC gaming on your phone. It works well if you have a solid connection, 4g is really laggy and chews through data.

Bryce88

Likes Dirt
Technically you can get remote play working on any Android phone (4.4+), but it requires a little technical knowledge.
As for the Z3, it works, but not very well. If your thinking of doing it over 4g then forget it. For home use, you need a good router that supports 5ghz with a solid connection.

I use a program called limelight which is the same thing, just for PC gaming on your phone. It works well if you have a solid connection, 4g is really laggy and chews through data.
Just so I know we are on the same page - I'm talking about using the PS4 controller with the Z3, not the on screen controls - is that what you were talking about too? Honestly my Galaxy S4 works fine but I thought it was stupid paying for an old phone when I can get a new phone on contract at the same price.

C0na

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Just so I know we are on the same page - I'm talking about using the PS4 controller with the Z3, not the on screen controls - is that what you were talking about too? Honestly my Galaxy S4 works fine but I thought it was stupid paying for an old phone when I can get a new phone on contract at the same price.
Yeah man I know what u mean. I use the gameklip for my ps3/ps4 controller. And you want to stream your games over the network. I was just saying that it is somewhat limited and is dependent on a solid 5ghz internet connection to actually work well.

I was also saying that it's not just limited to the xperia phone, it can be run on any android device, it just requires a little technical knowledge.

So you can stream from your ps4 to your S4 with a PS3/4 controller...

Last edited:

will2

Likes Dirt

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=luyDKZxf28I
This gives some intel on creating a Ghetto Nvidia shield. I reckon its pretty nifty thing to do and would cost you sweet bugger all. Be cool and get the Samsung.

Bryce88

Likes Dirt
Yeah man I know what u mean. I use the gameklip for my ps3/ps4 controller. And you want to stream your games over the network. I was just saying that it is somewhat limited and is dependent on a solid 5ghz internet connection to actually work well.

I was also saying that it's not just limited to the xperia phone, it can be run on any android device, it just requires a little technical knowledge.

So you can stream from your ps4 to your S4 with a PS3/4 controller...
Ok cool, was just checking. I will look into it more before getting a new phone. Our internet is a piece of shit anyway so probably wouldn't work too well. Maybe I will have a go at trying to stream with my S4 first if you think its possible. Cheers.

Bryce88

Likes Dirt
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=luyDKZxf28I
This gives some intel on creating a Ghetto Nvidia shield. I reckon its pretty nifty thing to do and would cost you sweet bugger all. Be cool and get the Samsung.
That is cool, when I get time I will try and make it work with a PS4. I already am cool and have a Samsung :mullet: - I am just weighing up as to whether the Sony was worth the extra few dollars a month to be able to play the PS4 remotely.

C0na

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Ok cool, was just checking. I will look into it more before getting a new phone. Our internet is a piece of shit anyway so probably wouldn't work too well. Maybe I will have a go at trying to stream with my S4 first if you think its possible. Cheers.
Your running off the local network, so your line quality to your ISP does not come into play. It is dependent on the quality of your router/wifi connection - which needs to be capable of providing a 5ghz connection.

As mentioned before, it requires a little technical knowledge:
http://www.xda-developers.com/sony-ps4-remote-play-ported/

Last edited:

jarrod839

Banned
destiny

Hey all
Just wondering if anyone is playing destiny on ps4 as looking for more people to do weekly strikes and raids with.
feel free to add me psn is MEERKAT247 and im a level 31 titan.
thanks

Ezkaton

Eats Squid
I've been anticipating this release for a while; Project Cars on PS4. This trailer released yesterday is exceptional and I am sold on getting this game. Some of the cars, particularly the endurance machines. are where it's at.
http://www.gamespot.com/articles/project-cars-trailer-pushes-graphical-boundaries/1100-6424731/
Here's a video I made of Project Cars over 2 years ago.
[video=youtube;hXUZ3fNQ0Ss]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hXUZ3fNQ0Ss[/video]

The AI has improved now obviously, but it was hilarious at the time, haha.
Back then the car handling was pretty iffy too, like the cars had no real weight to them. I haven't really played it since, so I don't know how much it has improved...

kwikee

Likes Dirt
I've been anticipating this release for a while; Project Cars on PS4. This trailer released yesterday is exceptional and I am sold on getting this game. Some of the cars, particularly the endurance machines. are where it's at.
http://www.gamespot.com/articles/project-cars-trailer-pushes-graphical-boundaries/1100-6424731/
Wow. My son has a PS4 and I have just instructed my wife and him to please visit EB Games tomorrow and place a pre-order. Unbelievable looking game. It's going to be a big year for PS4/XBoxOne etc.