The election thread - Two middle-late aged white men trying to be blokey and convincing..., same old shit, FFS.

Who will you vote for?

• Liberals

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Labor

Votes: 21 31.8%
  • Nationals

Votes: 1 1.5%
  • Greens

Votes: 21 31.8%
  • Independant

Votes: 15 22.7%
  • The Clive Palmer shit show

Votes: 4 6.1%
  • Shooters and Fishers Party

Votes: 1 1.5%
  • One Nation

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Donkey/Invalid vote

Votes: 3 4.5%

• Total voters

nizai

Likes Dirt
Two of my mates who are on AWA's in the mining/offshore game voted Labor in Swan, but they have tendencies to look at the bigger picture, rather than their personal situation. So probably not the norm.

N

danv

Likes Dirt
Whuh? I just watched the ABC for that... what do you mean Chewbacca on Channel 10? Was Star Wars on or something?
Yep, the empire strikes back.

As the important events of our nation unfold, channel 10 will be there, re-running old movies. A real alternative.

On a more serious note, big G ups to the K man. I listened when you said you will turn a new page on the divide between economy and evironment, and I await eagerly.
Thank fuck that racist halfwit is gone.

danv

Likes Dirt
On a side note, I thought John Howard's leaving speech was excellent, especially off the cuff like that. Fairly gracious in defeat. Can you give him that?
I didn't think it was that good at all. You could tell he really did not have his heart in it when he was wishing Rudd all the best. To me he seemed more bitter that Rudd was taking over than over the fact he lost. He kept harping on about how 'good' his goverment had been and what he leaves for Rudd. I thouhgt Nick Michin (i think it was him) on the ABC had better words to say, along the lines of 'I hope Labor governs well for Australia's sake', and he meant it warmly.

Oliver.

Liquid Productions
11:30PM Tonight, Somewhere in the Backstreets of Suburbia in Northern Sydney:

A totally wasted bloke makes his way slowly outside dressed as an Al Quaeda Terrorist, Party raging inside; we pull over, wind down the window and yell out "Hey mate, WHO WON THE ELECTION?"

Drunk Terrorist: "NO FUCKING IDEA!!!"

He sits quietly clutching his stomach.

True Australian politics.:)

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
yeah true, rudd wants out of iraq, not sure about ghan. im guessing that itll go back to how it was in 2001 being a SF war. Not gonna be alot of happy diggers out there. will end up being train train train and no trips! only trips will be peacekeeping ops like timor, solomons etc
Yep,

Exactly my thoughts Adam!

Kevin Rudd wants out of a few battles; However I don’t think he can do it strait away.

Looks like there will be no Iraq next year for me, Just peace keeping.

I guess it will be better for the families of soldiers though...*Until* the terrorism starts effecting Australia. ;)
I reckon he'll take combat troops out of Iraq (what have we got there now, 1 company?) and the trainers and embassy protection staff will not change. So, not too big of a difference.

With any luck, he'll boost troop numbers in Afghanistan, as should have been done in the first place.

You boys have to remember, whilst we all want that gernsey, we cannot do it at the the cost of Australia's international reputation. If you want a gernsey that bad, there's always Sandline and many a war in some backwater African diamond exporting nation where you can try your luck. Remember, this is Australia, not the US, Iran or any other country that always seems to be at war for one reason or another.

Last edited:

Hungry

Likes Dirt
You boys have to remember, whilst we all want that gernsey, we cannot do it at the the cost of Australia's international reputation. If you want a gernsey that bad, there's always Sandline and many a war in some backwater African diamond exporting nation where you can try your luck. Remember, this is Australia, not the US, Iran or any other country that always seems to be at war for one reason or another.
agreed with you there johnny. we have an excellent rep already. pulling out of iraq could however damage it with the US but thats not to say that we'll pull out from ghan as well.

Looks like there will be no Iraq next year for me, Just peace keeping.
plenty of contract work will still be in iraq

S.

ex offender
Im not sure if we'll ever snap out of the Liberal stupor.
haha, everyone will say that at the next election if Labor wins again too... guess it's the same blinkered cured-patient-forgets-the-pain thing we all get.

FR Drew

Not a custom title.
I'm more interested to see how things are going to play out in the Senate.

Looks like 37 to lib/nat, 32 to Labor, 5 to the Greens and 1 each to Family First and No Pokies.

Will they be dumb enough to block supply and generally try to bring the country to its knees or will they actually respect the very clear mandate that has been delivered?

Customjimmy

Likes Dirt
I'm more interested to see how things are going to play out in the Senate.

Looks like 37 to lib/nat, 32 to Labor, 5 to the Greens and 1 each to Family First and No Pokies.

Will they be dumb enough to block supply and generally try to bring the country to its knees or will they actually respect the very clear mandate that has been delivered?
I think that opposition leader Malcolm Turnbull will leave things alone for a little while. I don't think he wants to piss people off any more than the Libs already have before he has a crack at the title. So Nick Xenophon and the God-botherers with the balance of power? Not ideal. The sky still seems a bit bluer today though!

Ryan

Radministrator
Pulling out of Iraq will damage our reputation with the US but improve it, generally speaking, with the rest of the world who have either kept entirely away from, or already extracted themselves from that particular catastrofuck.

You diggers have to remember that you're an expensive asset for the rest of us to maintain and that as much as we appreciate your service, we don't particularly want to see the hundreds of thousands invested in each one of you blown to shit in some third-world hell hole for no discernible reason. At least in Afghanistan there's a legitimate reason for you to be there. No such reason exists in Iraq.

Following on from toodles' question; has scblack already resigned from Farkin or is he just cowering in his crawl-space with his fingers in his ears pretending that yesterday never happened?

I declare the next three years to be the era of the Farkin Lefty Brigade. We will govern not for the entire forum, but in our own self interest, giving tax-breaks to lesbian crack-babies and installing union cronies to the ModMin panel at every opportunity. The Farkofascists shall be booed and taunted until our throats are hoarse!

brisneyland

Likes Dirt
Pulling out of Iraq will damage our reputation with the US but improve it, generally speaking, with the rest of the world who have either kept entirely away from, or already extracted themselves from that particular catastrofuck.
I think, from memory, that Rudd left himself a bit of an escape clause in his Iraq policy and I wouldn't be surprised if he softens his promise a bit.

Ryan

Radministrator
I wonder if they just change the locks at Kirribilli chuck his shit on the lawn?

That would be a site to see.
Isn't Kirribilli his own house anyway? I thought it would be the lodge that they booted him out of. Just a golden handshake, a new scrap of cloth for his bindle and a plane ticket back to the 1950s.

Graunched

Likes Dirt
With any luck, he'll boost troop numbers in Afghanistan, as should have been done in the first place.
Talk about pushing shit up hill. Afghanistan over the past 100-150 years has been invaded by the British twice (i think) and the Russians once.
All three times they have suffered heavy casualties, didn't come close to achieving domination and left with their tails between their legs.

Mmmmmmm seems pretty similar to our current situation there except our casualties haven't been that heavy yet.

For a detailed background on the history of conflicts in Afghanistan and the surrounding area i would suggest reading at least part of a book by Robert Fisk "The Great War for Civilisation". It kinda spells out how futile it is..........

nizai

Likes Dirt
Kirribilli owned by the government for ceremonial use.

He'll be going back to Wollstonecraft no doubt. Rumour had it the renovators were there weeks ago in preparation.

I hope Rudd lives in the Lodge. Cuts out this crap of tax payers paying for flights between Canberra and Sydney.

N

*edit* Graunched, pushing shit uphill is precisely that. The US could not have taken Afghanistan even with ALL the troops they have in Iraq now. Remember the Russians threw 300,000 at Afghanistan and got their asses kicked.

The problem was the US going in with a western idea of war doctrine, take the cities, win the war. Except in Afghanistan its the other way around. You need to take the countryside, the Cities are the last thing the Taleban took when it originally came to power.

Last edited:

thecat

NSWMTB, Central Tableland MBC
Not gonna be alot of happy diggers out there. will end up being train train train and no trips! only trips will be peacekeeping ops like timor, solomons etc
I can't help but think this is the product of 11 years of lib mind set. Don't worry that the invasion was illegal in the first place. Don't worry that more civillians have died since we went in than died under the despot we "saved" them from.
Don't worry that our presence's as a terrorist target has increased sine going in.
Think only of how it will effect your pay packet...

All that said I don't think we can afford to have a hasty withdrawal. The decision to go in (Nothing to do with the efforts of the troupes on the ground) has created a very big mess. We need strategies to address this mess.

thecat

NSWMTB, Central Tableland MBC
I take it that is a hint at the whole event being circus-like?
No it was a "hint" that my comments were against the decision to go in, not on the efforts of the troupes and an acknowledgment that our troupes are the best in the world and are doing the best they can with the situation they were given.