The Designers' Corner

EzyLee

Likes Dirt
Me + some other mountain biker designers, you may have heard of us. I work on a lot of stuff for CSIRO, and MTBA... I did all the stuff for the Scott 24 Hour in Canberra this year (event t shirts, some signage + promo material), and have been working on the Jayco MTB Series over the last few weeks. It is always fun to design for the mountain bike community.

www.swelldesign.com.au

wombat

Lives in a hole
Any of you guys played much with vinyl film as a surface finish? Ordered myself a little bit of some Avery gear to have a play with; it's sweet! Heaps more malleable than I imagined, and a very nice finish. Now to find more stuff to try wrapping!

Chalkie

Likes Dirt
Any of you guys played much with vinyl film as a surface finish? Ordered myself a little bit of some Avery gear to have a play with; it's sweet! Heaps more malleable than I imagined, and a very nice finish. Now to find more stuff to try wrapping!
Intrigued to see how you go with this wombat.

Gluey_trails

Likes Dirt
I haven't, but what I'm keen to do is try using timber veneer on metal. I have a feeling it won't work though because of the lack of surface area/ grip when the adhesives melt.

wombat

Lives in a hole
Intrigued to see how you go with this wombat.
Had a play with it on the weekend, the old man wanted a black sidecover for his bike:

Wasn't the easiest shape, but we managed to make it work. Probably worked the film too much which caused the gloss to get an orange-peely kinda look, but for a temporary solution like this it'll be fine.

Did a lot of it wet too as it was suggested to me, but seemed to have some problems trapping pockets of moisture which led to some little bubbles. Dunno whether I used too much, or too little. It did make the film heaps easier to work with though as it stopped it sticking to itself really savagely.

Attachments

wombat

Lives in a hole
That yellow looks super hot! How did you apply it? Paint stripping torch?
Ahhh, the yellow is the original paint... Looked nice, but with a new black/red tank and black body work it kinda looked weird.

Application was just with a hair dryer, don't really need much heat at all to soften the vinyl enough to stretch it.

Burrito_Boy

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Anyone given creo elements pro a whirl?

Any Real world advantages/disadvantages over solidworks or inventor.

Also, just thought i'd add, QUT architecture represent! (should graduate just after the flood waters go away!:p)

snowy92

Likes Dirt
Anyone given creo elements pro a whirl?

Any Real world advantages/disadvantages over solidworks or inventor.

Also, just thought i'd add, QUT architecture represent! (should graduate just after the flood waters go away!:p)
Another QUT student, congratulations being so close to graduating man! :)
I'm about to go into my second year of Industrial Design.

Last edited:

Tomas

my mum says im cool
IMO you've gone a bit far on a few too many elements. In general, if you want to be provocative, don't go and break all the rules. Keep a few typologies, keep some bits recognizable and clean. The bits you want to talk will then speak the loudest.

Spend some more time cleaning things up a little bit and it'll make it look less 'craft', and more like a real product.

Tomas

my mum says im cool
Image E.jpg

A4flickr.jpg

pg6.jpg

Here are some big mofo'ing pictures to keep your eyes oogled. Top one was a finalist in the Reece Bathroom innovations awards. Last two were my major project.

T.