The Designers' Corner

U.D.O

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Yay. This thread is now Subbed.

I've just finish Yr12, got shortlisted for Top Design, (and Top Arts, but that's not really design), and am going through interviews at the moment for Industrial Design next year at Uni.

Will definitely post up some of my stuff at a later date.

Gluey_trails

Likes Dirt
Yay. This thread is now Subbed.

I've just finish Yr12, got shortlisted for Top Design, (and Top Arts, but that's not really design), and am going through interviews at the moment for Industrial Design next year at Uni.

Will definitely post up some of my stuff at a later date.
Good luck man!

Some design sketches:

dog boy

Likes Dirt
CAD, inventor revit and other programs

I love all the cad autodesk software any one else use it or similar id imagine you would. not really design because I copied my manitou stance blunt fork but ill upload it anyway. I did this at the start of this year yr 12 for my graphics. we were told to take an item dissemble it take measurements and model it on inventor. I animated it later this year. video I made on inventor after changing the material properties to glass so u can see the internals. unfortunately I assembled it in 3 sub assembly's and it only allows one stantions internals to compress as they should hence the spring doesn't compress.

I also play on revit, currently in the process of making a "dream mansion house as I have only ever just made boring things like a school canteen and granny flat on it at school. worked out how to make my own furniture the other night that was cool.

[video=youtube;OIj3b3sXqv8]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OIj3b3sXqv8[/video]

Attachments

Last edited:

Suburban rider

Likes Dirt
i'm currently in the process off designing a bike frame for my CADD and Metalwork Yr12 final for next year, i hoping to have the sketchs finished by feb next year and drawing cadd drawing by may, april ish, as for building it that will be the rest of the year, long days spent perfecting welding and building a jig to keep everything straight!
i'll post more photos and information as it progresses.
cheers guys
great thread!

harmonix1234

Eats Squid
Got a design idea for a drive chain which nobody has done yet.
Aimed at the commuter market but could apply to MTB (probably a bit too heavy).

If you could 'some how' combine say a rohlhoff speedhub ingternal geared 18spd style rear hub, with a planetary two speed system up front like a hammerschmidt, with teeth compaitible with a gates carbon dive you would have a silent, low maintenance, clean, and tough all weather commuter drive train that would last for years.

No lube, no banging chains on chainstays, no greasy chain marks on your pants.

Just add some adjustable dropouts or an eccentric BB and a breakable seat stay and you have the feel of a single speed with the flexibility of a full set of gears.

I don't know why nobody has done it yet. Or have they?

Suburban rider

Likes Dirt
^^^ i had a smiliar idea.
have a rohlhoff speedhub internal geared 18spd style rear hub, with a 10 speed cassette and a 9 speed gearbox crank setup, for more gears then you need, totally useless but would be good for shits a giggles though. :)

Brett

Likes Dirt
i'm currently in the process off designing a bike frame for my CADD and Metalwork Yr12 final for next year, i hoping to have the sketchs finished by feb next year and drawing cadd drawing by may, april ish, as for building it that will be the rest of the year, long days spent perfecting welding and building a jig to keep everything straight!
i'll post more photos and information as it progresses.
cheers guys
great thread!
Enjoy having months to sketch and CAD. The real world is somewhat different where you have weeks if not days to CAD up a number of concepts to present.

Binaural

Eats Squid
Gluey - just a tip, if you want those to sound good then you need to size the loudspeaker enclosures correctly at a minimum. I recommend checking out "the loudspeaker designers cookbook" or just google Thiele-Small parameters and loudspeaker design on the internet. There's a pretty huge amount to know about this area, but that would be a good start if you want them to sound good as well as look good....

downhillar

Likes Dirt
i'm wondering if anyone if here can help me - i've made a tripod mount for my GoPro out of a chunk of alloy i had sitting around.
i'm really happy with it but it's a bit rough and very likely to scratch the shit out of anything it touches, so i wanted to do something like plastic dipping.

i've seen a product called plasti-dip but i can't find anywhere in aus that sells it, so i was wondering if any of you guys had heard of a similar product, or maybe a DIY version using melted down coat hangers or something?
i also thought of using a silicone or something from bunnings but that stuff is always kinda gooey isn't it? like it doesn't really 'set' so to speak?

wombat

Lives in a hole
i'm wondering if anyone if here can help me - i've made a tripod mount for my GoPro out of a chunk of alloy i had sitting around.
i'm really happy with it but it's a bit rough and very likely to scratch the shit out of anything it touches, so i wanted to do something like plastic dipping.

i've seen a product called plasti-dip but i can't find anywhere in aus that sells it, so i was wondering if any of you guys had heard of a similar product, or maybe a DIY version using melted down coat hangers or something?
i also thought of using a silicone or something from bunnings but that stuff is always kinda gooey isn't it? like it doesn't really 'set' so to speak?
http://www.plastidip.net.au/where-to-buy
I'm sure you can get it locally, because I remember a few guys on here using it on the crank holders on Grip's racks.

floody

Wheel size expert
Got a design idea for a drive chain which nobody has done yet.
Aimed at the commuter market but could apply to MTB (probably a bit too heavy).

If you could 'some how' combine say a rohlhoff speedhub ingternal geared 18spd style rear hub, with a planetary two speed system up front like a hammerschmidt, with teeth compaitible with a gates carbon dive you would have a silent, low maintenance, clean, and tough all weather commuter drive train that would last for years.

No lube, no banging chains on chainstays, no greasy chain marks on your pants.

Just add some adjustable dropouts or an eccentric BB and a breakable seat stay and you have the feel of a single speed with the flexibility of a full set of gears.

I don't know why nobody has done it yet. Or have they?
Well probably because the Rohloff/Nexus/Alfine would be well enough on its own for commuting in terms of ratio spread, and at this point I'd suggest its shaky on long term aftermarket support.

Heaps of belt drive commuters available now, even Avanti have one.

I'm no "creative" though so I'll duck out of this thread and leave the real visionaries to it though...