Tertiary Education & Careers.

-|Sean|-

Likes Dirt
For those who are either currently studying at Uni/Tafe, or those who have since left & are now working full time - was there a certain point where you said to yourself "Yep, this is what I want to do"?

I'm studying a Building Design Diploma at Tafe at the moment, I'm only half a semester in & I'm beginning to doubt my choices. I have quite a lot of work to do the next 5-6 weeks, and a few reports due in the next couple of days - but next to no motivation to do them.

I'm beginning to convince myself I'm doing the wrong course because I'm not interested in the work I've been given, and this is supposed to be 'my career' kinda thing, you know?

Pete_10

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I'm at uni now and I couldn't see myself doing it if I wasn't interested in what I was studying.

It's your life. If you don't want to do it, don't.

eyes

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Don't worry, the first few semesters of most courses are 'swine flu' boring...

Go and hammer the TAFE careers counciller, if you haven't already, ask them to assess you, your existing skills, your goals & aspirations and see if these align with what you are currently studying.

slip

Beefcake...BEEFCAKE!!!
Nothing is all beer and skittles. The things I love most sometimes require the most boring/expensive/stressful/time draining work behind the scenes.

Often, actually.

But that said, what you think a job will be like, and what it really entails can be very different. You may just be learning that. Or maybe not - If you want the qualification, do the shit.

RangaRMX

Likes Dirt
Hmm, that all depends, did you go straight from school to TAFE?

I found that going from grade 12 straight into university to study medical science wasn't the best idea, I really needed a break. I found myself skipping lectures, dropping subjects and eventually just not going. So for my first year I did the first semester, did kinda well actually, even got a 6 for chemistry which surprised me as I didn't really like doing it. But then the second semester turned to shit after the mid year break and too much alcohol infused benders with friends who weren't smart enough to go to uni, or were too smart to go to uni straight away.
Worked for a bit, always intended to go back, and eventually went back the next year for my second semester of my first year, if that makes sense. I got a few weeks in and said 'you know what, fuck this, I'm working to get some money NOW!' and dropped out. As I said, I needed a break, and during the period I had off I never really did anything bar get wasted, which isn't that unusual for a guy who's just studied for 5 years at an elitist school that I didn't really fit into.

That was 2005, now I'm thinking about it again, and pondering whether or not I should be doing some sort of biological science, as that's what I naturally excel in, or if I should change my focus towards physics and maths and look into some form of engineering as I have since built an interest into that. I'm not bad at physics and maths, but it seemed to bore me a little more than biology did, in fact I love numbers and I'm thinking this is perhaps why I'm inclined to head in this direction now.

The hardest part for me though is giving up my job and money, which although it's not that much, I wont get anywhere near $1200 in my hand each fortnight with centrelink, some study and a casual job at a burger or chicken joint.
It must be said however that I've limited myself to uni or a select few jobs because I chose to be a dead beat in those years off and drive whilst slightly intoxicated, which was a bit over what was recommended, hence my problem.
I get it back next year, and I'm leaning towards the idea that I'll work my ass off, buy a car and see what other career options I can have. I really don't want to study or be stuck in a lab/office/etc for a job. Leaning towards earth moving and construction, get my training for heavy machinery out of the way and make some big dollars there..we'll see..

End of the day, and the moral of my small novel, is that if you're not happy then get out of there, it will only get worse, and when you do finally change, or leave, it will be hard to get motivated again after being unmotivated for so long.
I found that living a decent life for a while and having heaps of fun and learning stuff about other things has given me a vision of what I would like to do, and has put everything else in perspective. Working sucks, and doing a job just because it's a job that pays OK is shit, I've learned that, and when my options open again I'm gonna go see where they may lead.

You should probably decide if it's the whole study thing that's getting you down, or just the fact that you're doing something you don't really like or have as much of an interest as you initially thought. This is the first thing you need to consider, if it's the latter then just look at other options, however I can't say enough that having a break is really beneficial for some people. But then again, some people, like myself, may never return. Your call.

-|Sean|-

Likes Dirt
I've come straight from high school - parents weren't keen on the idea of a gap year, and I myself weren't sure if I'd want to come back after having a year or so off, so I just passed on the idea.

High school graphics/technical drawing was for the most part hand-drawn work, obviously the industry is now driven by technology & CAD work - which isn't a problem, because so far that side of it has been quite interesting - it's just that half a semester isn't really enough to gauge whether I can see myself doing it full time.

As expected the theory based classes are incredibly dull - I couldn't think of many things more boring than writing a 3500-5000 word report on Clay Bricks - which is what lies ahead of me in the next couple of weeks.

My major worry at the moment is Design class - which pretty much proves the basis for the whole course, ie. building design. That class is giving me a bit of grief at the moment, and I think my doubt has stemmed from that....

RangaRMX

Likes Dirt
I too would have had a year off if it wasn't for my parents, I must admit I did feel guilty that they'd just forked out a heap to send me to SCGS, I figured that I'd give it a go..in the end I ended up getting angry at them for trying to pressure me which distanced us for a while. All is good now.

Do what you want, not what you think will make them happy. Most valuable lesson I learned through uni.

leitch

Feelin' a bit rrranty
There's just one thing you need to remember before you jump the ship... You're only a few months in. Not even a whole semester. You're nowhere near the interesting stuff yet. I reckon what you're doing sounds like it has the potential to be really great and really interesting - you've just got to get through the boring basic crap first. Just don't think that because you don't enjoy boring basics you won't enjoy the course as a whole.

3viltoast3r

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Thanks for the novel Ranga (no offense intended), You have motivated me to get cracking on my maths homework tonight.....I was seriously not in the mood to work, and even bother with school

slip

Beefcake...BEEFCAKE!!!
3500 words on clay bricks sounds shitty, but I once learnt a good way of explaining this sort of thing with an amazing learning system years ago.

Effective knowledge and understanding of a subject can be like a brick wall. If you've got all the bricks at the bottom, and they are real solid - you can continue building in the same manner.

If you don't understand things at a base level it can severely limit the potential height, width, and strength of the wall. Don't know the basics? How will you understand the complex stuff made up of all the basics?

Teaching high school algebra to primary school kids failing maths in 10 min was so fucking cool. Them getting 7/8 when tested at the end of it with new questions makes you totally reevaluate learning and teaching.

Tomas

my mum says im cool
I think youve got to have a bit of fun with your uni work. I remember some old mate telling me years ago about how he loved getting up the lecturers, challenging ideas and just really giving it a go. I have to say it's how i have fun during mundane assignments. Re: Shit being boring/long. Yeah, uni/tafe is like that. I often have 0 motivation to do shit. But it needs to get done! Unless you 100% sure it's not for you, i'd stick with it for a while. Im surprised at all the uni dropouts after 3 weeks... you've only done the introductionary lectures and youve already left out the back door? Nice ...

-|Sean|-

Likes Dirt
To be honest I've never seriously considered dropping it after half a semester, last week I even found half the theory classes incredibly fascinating.

Maybe I've just had a particularly shitty week.....

NamNguyen

Squid
My story is almost identical to yours RangaRMX. I too f**ked up big time in med sci and was on the verge of suspension. Once my parents found out I was on a bad grading they were very disappointed and that kicked me into action.

I then pulled my head in and gave it a decent shot and actually found it alright. I didn't want to quit knowing that really I didn't give a decent crack at it and made excuses. It would have been something i regretted. Skip a few years later and now I'm do a PhD project (so more study!) and importantly I have a better outlook for a future in science. And no regrets!

I guess what I want to say to Sean is to give it a chance. You might rather be thinking about bikes and partying but try to emrbace the shit and you might be surprised. But don't quit knowing that you didn't give it a fair go.

Haha, didn't read the above comment ^^^^. Good to see you liking it!

Last edited:

Wellsey

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Hey Sean - Re "yep, this is it!", it will be the 1st thing you are really good at, and because you are good at it, you will love it also.

Helps if it pays the bills too.

Caffeine

Likes Bikes
None of the jobs I've had existed in the time I went to high school / uni, and I'm in my early 30's now, and still not quite sure what I want to do with myself.

What you study at Uni is less important than learning how to learn. I have a degree in nuclear physics, which was really interesting, but next to worthless in Australia (and certainly irrelevant to my current and previous careers). However, going to uni gave me the skills and experience to objectively analyse and investigate any problems that come up at work, and identify a solution. All of the knowledge I use at work, on a day to day basis, is self taught, but it was my time at uni that facilitated the self teaching...

madmanmark82

Likes Dirt
For those who are either currently studying at Uni/Tafe, or those who have since left & are now working full time - was there a certain point where you said to yourself "Yep, this is what I want to do"?

I'm studying a Building Design Diploma at Tafe at the moment, I'm only half a semester in & I'm beginning to doubt my choices. I have quite a lot of work to do the next 5-6 weeks, and a few reports due in the next couple of days - but next to no motivation to do them.

I'm beginning to convince myself I'm doing the wrong course because I'm not interested in the work I've been given, and this is supposed to be 'my career' kinda thing, you know?
Its something that focefully grows on you, But that being said dont leave it to late to change your mind because then you will think, if i stop now i have waisted 2 years study.

sxereturn

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I can't believe how many people take what their parents want them to do into consideration. You guys are adults now! Grow up and make the decisions yourself! I had absolutely no idea what I wanted to do at the end of year 12 but as long as you have the balls to take a risk, and the determination to not fail...you'll be sweet.

-|Sean|-

Likes Dirt
I can't believe how many people take what their parents want them to do into consideration. You guys are adults now! Grow up and make the decisions yourself! I had absolutely no idea what I wanted to do at the end of year 12 but as long as you have the balls to take a risk, and the determination to not fail...you'll be sweet.
By the end of Yr12 I was loving graphics/technical drawing - so I figured I may as well continue on. I struggle to get back in the rhythm of study after 3 weeks off, let alone 6months/1year.

I'll be taking time off after I finish whatever study I do, regardless of my folks position. Hell they're still pushing me to continue with 2nd year of the course I'm in now...