Terrorism: Paris, Syria, Turkey, Belgium, Florida......

scblack

Leucocholic
Don't be. It's a fucking great place to visit. It has it's problems but overwhelmingly the people are decent. Like most places.
I visited America in 2014 for two weeks and surprised myself by loving it. Lovely people and would happily go back again.

Calvin27

Eats Squid
I visited America in 2014 for two weeks and surprised myself by loving it. Lovely people and would happily go back again.
I was astounded by the poverty rate for a developed country. San Fran was probably the worse. I couldn't enjoy myself seeing all these people on the streets with nothing. The countryside was much nicer.

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
Stay out of Asia and much of Europe^^^

Agree, love going to the US. Overwhelmingly safe and great folk there.

slowmick

38-39"
I was astounded by the poverty rate for a developed country. San Fran was probably the worse. I couldn't enjoy myself seeing all these people on the streets with nothing. The countryside was much nicer.
We did a tour in San Fran while we were there and the guide told us that San Fran has the highest percentage homeless population in the US. apparently the city decided a while back that if they gave people money to better themselves they would get jobs and become contributing members of society. homeless people came from all over the US to get the free money but didn't do so well at getting out of their situations. was pretty full on to see a very large man jump out of the coffee queue at Starbucks, grab an arm full of pre-made sandwiches and bolt out the door with the owner chasing after him. Seriously desperate looking bloke - very wide eyed. this was 9 am in the morning on day 1 of our 5 week holiday. Was the most full on thing that happened in 5 weeks in the US. Sure, Mexico city was more confronting but this was pretty full on.

Calvin27

Eats Squid
Stay out of Asia and much of Europe^^^
Maybe I am ignorant, but it seemed like the US had more homeless than asia or Europe. Granted I haven't done much of asia to be honest, just some of China, Singapore, Malaysia and Japan. Probably much worse in places like cambodia etc. Europe - I don't think there were as many compared to San Fran also.

Tubeless

Likes Bikes and Dirt
China hides them.
Singapore & Japan are more developed than the states.
And in Malaysia, they're all out fishing.

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
Maybe I am ignorant, but it seemed like the US had more homeless than asia or Europe. Granted I haven't done much of asia to be honest, just some of China, Singapore, Malaysia and Japan. Probably much worse in places like cambodia etc. Europe - I don't think there were as many compared to San Fran also.
Depends where you go. Japan and Sing. don't have as much homelessness but China, Malaysia, Thailand, Indonesia, Philippines, etc. does.

Europe also depends as well, Lithuania in the early 2000s was pretty ugly as were some other parts of the Former Soviet - heaps and heaps of street kids. Paris has some pretty dang ugly places too.

I haven't been to San Fran since the early 1990s and the wharf had it's fair share of beggars but not that many. I've been in Texas during a northern winter as well and the place filled up with them as apparently there is a panhandler circuit where they follow the milder weather.

China hides them.
Ah, not really, it doesn't. During the Olympics, Expo and big international events it does but you can also include anyone who isn't a registered city of those towns. When I lived in China I used to feed my local beggars a couple of times a week, couple of old blokes. When my parents came to visit they were really nice and helpful to them, heart wrenching stuff.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
China hides them.
Singapore & Japan are more developed than the states.
And in Malaysia, they're all out fishing.
Japan's homeless are really well organised...I recall seeing a "village" of them in Tokyo. Row after row of neat tents.

Depends where you go. Japan and Sing. don't have as much homelessness but China, Malaysia, Thailand, Indonesia, Philippines, etc. does.

Europe also depends as well, Lithuania in the early 2000s was pretty ugly as were some other parts of the Former Soviet - heaps and heaps of street kids. Paris has some pretty dang ugly places too.

I haven't been to San Fran since the early 1990s and the wharf had it's fair share of beggars but not that many. I've been in Texas during a northern winter as well and the place filled up with them as apparently there is a panhandler circuit where they follow the milder weather.

Ah, not really, it doesn't. During the Olympics, Expo and big international events it does but you can also include anyone who isn't a registered city of those towns. When I lived in China I used to feed my local beggars a couple of times a week, couple of old blokes. When my parents came to visit they were really nice and helpful to them, heart wrenching stuff.
Lucky we wouldn't displace people here in Australia for something like an Olympics...

Flow-Rider

Burner

.Lucky we wouldn't displace people here in Australia for something like an Olympics...
They done the exact same thing here in Brisbane at the former Expo 88 site, which is now known as Southbank, they moved on about 100 homeless. There are still heaps of homeless here, I used to see them on my commute through the city CBD and even had to stop once to watch them having a turf war.

Calvin27

Eats Squid
China hides them.
Definately agree with this. I have no idea where they go but I do remember at night when I have late night food cravings going out and there were swarms of them all sleeping in anywhere they could find shelter. This was a Guangzhou. Beijing was similar, surprisingly Shanghai I didn't notice many.

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
I noticed the difference in Shanghai as well. There seemed to be far fewer "farmers" hanging around the streets, pushing carts or begging. Every other city had them as part of the landscape. Not sure why Shangers was different, not sure that equates to "China hiding the homeless" though.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
They done the exact same thing here in Brisbane at the former Expo 88 site, which is now known as Southbank, they moved on about 100 homeless. There are still heaps of homeless here, I used to see them on my commute through the city CBD and even had to stop once to watch them having a turf war.
Big movements of people, including those with homes, around Sydney Olympics.

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
'Move them along'?
Yeah, reckon it's likely got something to do with the household registration system and baring access, really don't know what the story is in Shang

Big movements of people, including those with homes, around Sydney Olympics.
Acquiring land for public use is a very different situation though, that happens all the time for many reasons. Beijing cleared its streets of people (everyone from out of town who wasn't registered, job, homes, regardless) and put big walls up around its hutongs, slums and shitholes. They literally hid their poorer folk and homeless. I hear it was the same for Expo in Shang.