Sydney siege

Grundos

Likes Dirt
This is nothing more than a play for popularity done by hipsters and wanna be's. It's the band wagon effect in full flight. Other fads in this line in dimwittery include the ice bucket challenge, planking, cyclocross bikes etc etc. It means nothing to me to see someone spam my news feed with that shit, it's not a country banding together to say we stand up against crimes committed, it's morons like the turds taking selfies at the Police barricades just to get noticed.
I’m gonna have to beg to differ on that one. I usually avoid hashtag "activism" like the plague, but #illridewithyou is one that I can, and did, get behind.

The difference between something like, say, #bringourgirlsback or whatever it was and I’ll Ride With You, is that the former is what I guess could be labeled as a political or military issue, whereas the latter is a response to a social issue. Responding to a crisis like kidnapped school girls in a far away land is fraught with countless difficulties and any solution is best left to the experts. Getting behind a hashtag on such an issue is futile and, while well meaning, nothing short of pretentious. Plus I don’t think Boko Haram gives two shits about what you post on your social media outlet of choice.

I’ll Ride With You, on the other hand, is a response to potential acts of aggression and/or intimidation being acted out on fellow citizens. I have little doubt that many of those who jumped on this bandwagon wouldn’t be prepared to put their money where their mouth is, but I am sure there are also plenty that would. I rarely use public transport and don’t live in an area with a significant Muslim population, making it unlikely that I would find myself in a situation that demanded action.

Regardless, bigoted/racist/prejudice attitudes are social issues that are quite prevalent in Australian society. I’ll Ride With You has been a reminder to the Muslim community that there are many Australians (possibly even a majority) that do not hold these views and don’t wish them any harm. It also works to marginalise groups like Australian Defense League, showing that their views are not shared by the majority of the people that they claim to represent and that those views are not acceptable in Australian society. People with somewhat more passive (but nonetheless prejudice) views could very well be swayed by this meme and the attitudes surrounding it, and as a result start becoming more open minded; I have seen Facey posts over the last few days that have suggested a shift in attitude among some of my friends.

I also see it as something that refutes many stereotypes regarding the Australian identity. Sometimes I feel that we’re seen as a bunch of racist hicks in the international community. I think that the extent of the spread of this phenomenon proves otherwise, and that it is just a minority that gives us a bad name.

Obviously there are a lot more things that have been going on that have been influencing the things I mentioned above, but I don’t think that the notion of people getting behind the views expressed by a hashtag can necessarily be dismissed as useless or acts of vanity. And yes, it did give me a warm & fuzzy feeling and help restore some of my faith in humanity.
As for the ice bucket challenge, I also thought that was a bit of a wank. In the end though it did help raise a shit-ton of money for charity.

TL;DR:
#everysecondhashtag = well meaning but futile attempts where slacktivists to try to promote change in an issue way beyond their knowledge and abilities, often in order to cultivate an identity for themselves
#illridewithyou = members of a society promoting social rules that denounce prejudice

Last edited:

PINT of Stella. mate!

Many, many Scotches
Yeah, he's top three.
The question is, will Affleck be the new low? Don't get me wrong, he can be a great actor and would make a good Bruce Wayne but the problem is that the only flesh of Batman's you can see is his jaw and the Mr Affleck has an arse for a chin!

Oh in other news 130 kids were murdered by the Taleban in Pakistan, not that you'd know it between the media flooding us all with images of a flower-filled Martin Place, Abbott press statements, analysis from every corner and Russell Brand spouting his usual bollocks.

I think I can see why our immigrant populations feel marginalised.

pharmaboy

Eats Squid
The question is, will Affleck be the new low? Don't get me wrong, he can be a great actor and would make a good Bruce Wayne but the problem is that the only flesh of Batman's you can see is his jaw and the Mr Affleck has an arse for a chin!

Oh in other news 130 kids were murdered by the Taleban in Pakistan, not that you'd know it between the media flooding us all with images of a flower-filled Martin Place, Abbott press statements, analysis from every corner and Russell Brand spouting his usual bollocks.

We think more of the 3 children of the lady murdered in sydney than the 130 who will not see another day.

Perhaps the context is how we feel we belong to a group. We identify with people that are most like us, be that jobs, education, religion, hobbies whatever ( race?). It seems no trouble at all to studiously ignore the death of hundreds of whom we couldn't possibly know because they are so removed, but we are touched because the murdered lawyer is a there for the grace of god go I, kind of person - grabbing a coffee in there morning.

The relevance of the above is what drives the feeling of seperation of groups within Australia and fear/ distrust of groups with different values, cultures etc to mainstream Australia. But IMO , this situation is far from aberrant, it is the natural order of things - we do group together and exclude others, it's endemic.

Ps all helicopters should have shark repellent bat spray on board

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member

I don't know what news you've been watching but it's been headlining on my news above the flowers all day.

Plus, cold reality is that Martin Place affects Australian viewers more than an attack in Peshawar, regardless of the level of brutality.

crash3

Likes Dirt
I’m gonna have to beg to differ on that one. I usually avoid hashtag "activism" like the plague, but #illridewithyou is one that I can, and did, get behind.
TL;DR:
#everysecondhashtag = well meaning but futile attempts where slacktivists to try to promote change in an issue way beyond their knowledge and abilities, often in order to cultivate an identity for themselves
#illridewithyou = members of a society promoting social rules that denounce prejudice
That was so well put. Exactly what I was trying to say but my brain is full of derp.

Shortened quote to save scrolling fingers

Flow-Rider

Burner
Shit... I stopped partying heaps when I got married and had kids too. I thought it was all part of "settling down" as i got older..... Does this actually mean that I'm really a Muslim?!
Its not the point mate most of us are married with kids its not like a party you have in twenties when you get blind. When your close to your forties with kids its quite a different party and we have known each other for over 25 years.

Last edited:

Flow-Rider

Burner
The 7.30 report might be of interest to some people here. Our own laws actually protected Monis from being extradited back to Iran where he fled from fraud charges. One of his own country men tried to stop him from having residency in Australia and like I previously said the Muslim community ignored his extremist views.

[video]http://www.abc.net.au/7.30/[/video]

Minlak

custom titis
I just wish it was possible to get the "Truth" not the version that comes from the media. There are new reports now about the actual shootings and I just don't know how accurate they really are. The version I am hearing now makes more sense to me but that's just my opinion not a fact.

PINT of Stella. mate!

Many, many Scotches
I don't know what news you've been watching but it's been headlining on my news above the flowers all day.

Plus, cold reality is that Martin Place affects Australian viewers more than an attack in Peshawar, regardless of the level of brutality.
I'm basing this purely on the coverage on the coverage of the commercial networks and fairfax' media sites although I'd be surprised if news.com.au had a less biased response.

I'm well aware of the numbers game between a 'horrifying tragedy' that costs the lives of 3 people in the Sydney CBD as compared to an even more violent and costly tragedy that costs 150 lives elsewhere 'elsewhere' and can understand the networks need to focus on one and ignore the other -the ABC's coverage of the Boston bombings where 3 people died and the ABC were openly outpouring their sympathies and prayers for those affected when the following segment was a report that 45 people were killed in bombings in Iraq.

What shits me is this cultural selection of grief, or rather our pandering to local sensibilities at the risk of alienating people who might care about shit beyond what rates high on local news.

I've already spoken out not so much in defence but at least in half-arsed explanation at least as to why every network embraced the 'Lindt Incident' but it doesn't mean I have to like it when they stop at that and let an even more horrific event get sandwiched between local 'cat-stuck-in-a-tree' news and Sport.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
...but...but...that could have been me. (Well not me because the last time I went to that particular Lindt cafe there was an incident between the premier and myself. Turned Morris wasn't a chatty guy when getting coffee.)

Hardly something that will be said about the brutal slaughter of children in Pakistan. But in Sydney? Self interest prevails.

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
Is there a reason why self interest shouldn't prevail in this particular circumstance?

And, I haven't watched commercial news channels for over 10 years. There's just no point, the ABC is frustrating enough as it is.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Is there a reason why self interest shouldn't prevail in this particular circumstance?

And, I haven't watched commercial news channels for over 10 years. There's just no point, the ABC is frustrating enough as it is.
I tend to find selfish people annoying, so in my opinion yes. Symptoms like a lack of empathy or compassion for the people genuinely effected by what has happened, unsubstantiated fears, overly emotive responses based more on their fear for themselves than any facts...that sort of self interest annoys me. I had a friend hit me up about meeting them at a train station near my house this Arv because they were scared to wait there 20 min for a train. I was unable to help because i was out of town at the time. I also dislike the way this thinking supports the erosion of civil liberties in order to allay the fears and calm the hysterical populace. I may be scarred from spending too many years working in an office full of lunatics. I have many stories of just how bizarre office life can get, but some of those people would be in tears over any tragedy against people they could imagine themselves being, but not a care in the world for those unlike themselves. Not in a racist or bigoted way, just a narrow focus.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
^ that was a bit long...

Basically self interest tends to narrow the focus of people on a small aspect of an incident. That being the act/part that could have been them, and distracts from the bigger picture and broader issues involved. I think a wider focus would help people in grieving or moving forward from events like this and also strengthen our community rather than hinder it.

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
On a philosophical level I get where you're coming from but on a practical and 'real world' level I think that's all a bit bizarre.

Survival is the #1 self interest we have (unless there is a choice between us and our kids/close ones or some other extreme situation) and then it's the survival of those close to us and those like us. We are pack animals and survival is improved by not being shot by a dickhead and not having those of our own pack not shot by a dickhead. Of course we pay closer attention to what can cause us harm as compared to what is sad but does not directly affect us.

To say that we should pay less attention to what may affect us because of something that won't affect us and that happened to people that may not give a shit about us is really a bit deluded (not trying to be a prick here but I can't find a more polite word). Take away the media frenzy and the few people that dial up the dramatics on stuff like this and just take the average Josephine and I think that you'll find some one who thinks that the attack in Pesh is horrible, that feels terrible for what has happened but is actually more concerned with the Martin Place issue because that could quite easily have been some one she knows, it may trigger a copy cat attack somewhere she frequents and the ripple effects in terms of laws, policies, social climate etc. will likely have some kind of effect on her.

It simply doesn't make sense for some one to pay more attention to something that affects them less.

I think there are many reasons why people legitimately pay closer attention to smaller issues that affect them than bigger issues that have no effect, Martin Place and Pesh being a great case in point. What it means for survival and daily life is just one reason, I reckon there would also be many more.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
I am an idealist...

On a philosophical level I get where you're coming from but on a practical and 'real world' level I think that's all a bit bizarre.

Survival is the #1 self interest we have (unless there is a choice between us and our kids/close ones or some other extreme situation) and then it's the survival of those close to us and those like us. We are pack animals and survival is improved by not being shot by a dickhead and not having those of our own pack not shot by a dickhead. Of course we pay closer attention to what can cause us harm as compared to what is sad but does not directly affect us.

To say that we should pay less attention to what may affect us because of something that won't affect us and that happened to people that may not give a shit about us is really a bit deluded (not trying to be a prick here but I can't find a more polite word). Take away the media frenzy and the few people that dial up the dramatics on stuff like this and just take the average Josephine and I think that you'll find some one who thinks that the attack in Pesh is horrible, that feels terrible for what has happened but is actually more concerned with the Martin Place issue because that could quite easily have been some one she knows, it may trigger a copy cat attack somewhere she frequents and the ripple effects in terms of laws, policies, social climate etc. will likely have some kind of effect on her.

It simply doesn't make sense for some one to pay more attention to something that affects them less.

I think there are many reasons why people legitimately pay closer attention to smaller issues that affect them than bigger issues that have no effect, Martin Place and Pesh being a great case in point. What it means for survival and daily life is just one reason, I reckon there would also be many more.

Pastavore

Eats Squid
Of course we pay closer attention to what can cause us harm as compared to what is sad but does not directly affect us.
Except that it is a warped perception to think that what happened in Sydney affects us more than the Pakistani tragedy. Statistically, the chance of you or someone you know being affected by a terrorist action in Australia is vanishingly small.

It only affects us more because we identify the Australian victims as "us", Pakistani victims.... not so much.

Personally I find that sad. Understandable, but sad.

Dozer

Heavy machinery.
Staff member
Look, this is a very important issue in my life and I'm really thankful I can discuss it with you guys. I'm happy to eat my words on this and I don't tend to jump the gun until the pie is out of the oven but I am very worried that Affleck will be the most horrendous Batman ever. Actually, this character will be laughed at by the younger folk for generations after this "thing" goes to air. He's not Batman material, no way. Many will use the "Heath Ledger wasn't rated as a good Joker until the movie came out" but I ain't getting on that ship. Ben Affleck sucks the gooch of a sweaty fat guy.

I spent Monday with my wife's family as that was the day of a family funeral. One of the girls came up from Sydney from the funeral and hung out with me before the funeral. She was swapping texts with a fellow Vet nurse and later on in the day she showed me the text that she had sent to her friend a bit before 8am saying sorry, she is in Coffs Harbour for a funeral and can't make it to their typical Monday cup of coffee at 9am. I'll give you one guess what the cafe was......................

Elbo

pesky scooter kids git off ma lawn
But statistically, as people who live in Australia, we're more likely to be affected by something that happens in Sydney than something that happens in Pakistan.

It is sad, but I doubt that 2 people being shot in Sydney would matter much to Pakistanis right now beyond feeling the same feelings of sadness we express and interpreting those through their own experiences in their own communities. A cosmopolitan understanding of the world is just as warped as a nationalist or other view of the world. It doesn't make it wrong to feel affected by things that happen closer to us socially and physically. Any view of the world is a warped view. But warped is probably the wrong word as there's no objective social world to experience in the first place.