Specialized rear shock "Brain" rebuild with pictures & now forks too

link1896

Mr Greenfield
Didn't fit to bike, wasn't happy with bleed, so tried again.

Learnt brain fade setting must be in fully soft position to allow air to get out from between inertia assembly and IFP, and to not cycle shock when under a vacuum, one or more orings let air in, can only cycle when at atmospheric or pressurised.

Last edited:

Miguel75

Likes Dirt
Congrats on completing an excellent journey and for sharing the details.

I too have suffered reflector induced harassment, stay strong (and visible). ;)

link1896

Mr Greenfield
Congrats on completing an excellent journey and for sharing the details.

I too have suffered reflector induced harassment, stay strong (and visible). ;)

Thanks. It's a long running game with hifiandmtb. If I ever rebuild his fork for him I think I might hot glue a dozen reflectors to it

stirk

Burner
Thanks. It's a long running game with hifiandmtb. If I ever rebuild his fork for him I think I might hot glue a dozen reflectors to it
Well done on the rebuild, me thinks you may get busy from here on!

I have a few reflectors if you need em for future fork rebuilds..

link1896

Mr Greenfield
250 psi for the IFP feels more like a new shock should. I've had a ride around the neighbourhood, now to do a full lap of Lysterfield. If anyone sees an epic being pushed and not ridden, stop and say hi.

repsol 10wt mineral oil 46@40c, 8@100c feels good.

Last edited:

link1896

Mr Greenfield
250 psi for the IFP feels more like a new shock should. I've had a ride around the neighbourhood, now to do a full lap of Lysterfield. If anyone sees an epic being pushed and not ridden, stop and say hi.

repsol 10wt mineral oil 46@40c, 8@100c feels good.
made it to lysterfield, did a full lap and home, no dramas.

Compression damping has been reduced, bottomed out over the usual drop offs with the same air pressure in the air Spring ( as set by the auto sag, 220 psi). Maybe shock isn't shimmed for Fox green 47/11.7. Will find a higher viscosity oil.

IPF pressure sets the brain fade threshold, 250psi is brutal, like running 45psi in the rear tyre. 200psi is a nice compromise.

rider124

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Awesome stuff man! glad you got it on the bike and working!
Was cool to follow the thread and dream!

I have heard the brain cartridge in the fork isnt as time consuming, as long as you know what you are doing! so good luck!

link1896

Mr Greenfield
Awesome stuff man! glad you got it on the bike and working!
Was cool to follow the thread and dream!

I have heard the brain cartridge in the fork isnt as time consuming, as long as you know what you are doing! so good luck!
Fork cartridge does look easier but I still need to make shaft clamps to clamp it in the vice and undo assemblies. I've drawings showing IFP depth and pressure so no guessing, and I have a nitrogen needle, plus the full rebuild video is available on Vimeo. Hoping to get started early in the am on it, already in bed, I'm stuffed.