Rude Riders

Big JD

Wheel size expert
i had a similar experience in a 6 hour race in the early 90s. It turned violent and I have never desired to race again.

what a dick

BT180

Max Pfaff
Sounds to me like it may have just been his version of a joke, as you've stacked and he's said you need to learn to ride ST. Hard to judge though as I wasn't there and didn't hear the tone of his voice.

If you were both riding along and he was behind you (take the fall out of the equation), trying to overtake and he said that then that's a different story. I'm not excusing him as they're not nice words to hear when you've just come off your bike.

Last edited:

Hugor

Likes Dirt
I treat events as organized social rides albeit at a good pace.
I let the pointy end take off and hang out in the back half for a laugh and a ride.
Unfortunately a more than an average percentage of cocksuckers who suffer from small penis syndrome attend these events, and they place an exaggerated level of importance on their race performance.
It's as if their whole ego and self worth hinges on this race.
I avoid shorter events completely for this reason.
Sounds to me that you encountered one of these.

The Reverend

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Sounds like you came across someone who wasn't hugged enough as a kid. The world's full of clowns and cretins like that unfortunately.
Don't agree with the Strava comment. Granted there are loads of people who obsess over their times and progress (myself included I suppose) BUT, I was recently out on a run with some mates, going along at a fair lick and we went past a guy going the same way and walking his rig. We stopped, checked he was ok (mechanical and no kit with him to fix it) and we sorted him out so he could ride instead of walk. Strava time lost, but a fellow rider helped out and another face to say hi to at the coffee shop.

Not looking for the Nobel Peace prize here, although the $1m would get a lot of bikes, but that, to me is one of the best things about mountain biking, everyone generally is out for a good time and happy to help a fellow rider.

There are always going to be simpletons and ego driven buffoons, Strava or not.
I try not to let them ruin my day.

What I thought the thread was going to be about is folks you cede the trail to when going in opposite directions and they don't even have the courtesy to say "Thanks". They just ride on by like you're on their trail and haven't paid to use it.
Grrrr!

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
THIS... seems to be creating a lot of "hell serious" riders these days.. some pricks don't even say g'day anymore..
Roadies are the worst but mountain bikers with bloody earphones in are getting just as stuck up + it friggin dangerous.

Anyway, i give them a hitler salute and shout YOOOO so they can do nothing but acknowledge me in some way.

pic73132.jpg

NUMBER5

Likes Dirt
I wouldn't worry about it, the beautiful thing about this planet is that there's another dickhead, just around the corner. How many years have you been riding? And how many times has this happened? I could have an altercation every 15 mins on the roads... Hehehe

From my experience, mountain bikers have a disproportionate amount of nice people compared to anything else I've done. I've never ever had an angry exchange with anyone(touch wood). Everyone i've come across regardless of skill set or experience have been very friendly and helpful and in turn I try and pass it forward. I think this is quite amazing. I don't race, maybe this helps :):)

Roadies are the worst but mountain bikers with bloody earphones in are getting just as stuck up + it friggin dangerous.

Anyway, i give them a hitler salute and shout YOOOO so they can do nothing but acknowledge me in some way.

View attachment 255282
I ALWAYS ride with headphones when I ride by myself and I don't feel that I'm stuck up or dangereous, I have never had a close call or held anyone up. The only time I've come off is when Mother Earth gets in the way :):)

Oh, I nearly got run over by a car once, but I didn't have headphones on :)

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
I ALWAYS ride with headphones when I ride by myself and I don't feel that I'm stuck up or dangereous
Im not worried if you are stuck up but on bike trails or shared use trails neither the riders, walker or anyone should be listening to music.

In the US there has been deaths on trails because of them, google it.

outtacontrol

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Sounds like you came across someone who wasn't hugged enough as a kid. The world's full of clowns and cretins like that unfortunately.
Don't agree with the Strava comment. Granted there are loads of people who obsess over their times and progress (myself included I suppose) BUT, I was recently out on a run with some mates, going along at a fair lick and we went past a guy going the same way and walking his rig. We stopped, checked he was ok (mechanical and no kit with him to fix it) and we sorted him out so he could ride instead of walk. Strava time lost, but a fellow rider helped out and another face to say hi to at the coffee shop.

Not looking for the Nobel Peace prize here, although the $1m would get a lot of bikes, but that, to me is one of the best things about mountain biking, everyone generally is out for a good time and happy to help a fellow rider.

There are always going to be simpletons and ego driven buffoons, Strava or not.
I try not to let them ruin my day.

What I thought the thread was going to be about is folks you cede the trail to when going in opposite directions and they don't even have the courtesy to say "Thanks". They just ride on by like you're on their trail and haven't paid to use it.
Grrrr!
Love your work. Couldn't agree more....

BM Epic

Eats Squid
Seen plenty of clowns at races who seem to think that cubby station is up for grabs( pretty sure they would be dissapointed when finding its a schwalbe tyre for first prize), had a certain bloke scream at me to "get out of the fucking way" couple of seasons ago,he was about 40 metres behind me, he was riding for a certain polish/chzech beer manufacturer, couldnt beleive what i heard, went and complained about him and his team mates, turned out i wasnt the only one, put me off going to races as it seemed to be getting more common, yet the really fast riders were the most courteous of all.
I too have noticed an attitude shift because of strava, seems its pretty important?????

pharmaboy

Eats Squid
guy is a tool.

OTOH, surely racing is racing, not a fliipin social ride. Its not about cubby stations - racing is about doing your best, that means hurting and going as fast as you can, and passing whenever you can. that said, you should always call from a bit away with something a bit more personal - " g'day mate, just tell us if you can see a spot and which side", alternatively i'll often just stay behind for a few seconds, and when I see the spot coming up, just say "just going past on your right hand side" - and that will be off the track - passed rider shouldnt have to stop or do anything different.

0psi

Eats Squid
had a certain bloke scream at me to "get out of the fucking way" couple of seasons ago,he was about 40 metres behind me, he was riding for a certain polish/chzech beer manufacturer
Now see, that's rude. I think in the OPs case it was just a failed attempt at humour, anyone that's spent any amount of time with me knows how shit my jokes are.

On a side note I've found it's usually the riders that think they are fast that are the tossers, the genuinely fast guys (think Blairy, English, etc.) are all pretty nice.

Mr_hANky

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I got the encouraging words from a fellow mountain bike rider on the weekend "You need to learn how to ride single track mate"

Mate are you serious. This offended you? Seriously stop your whining, their are alot worse things that cpuld have said to you. Harden the fuck up.

outtacontrol

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Had a mate who was a genuine fast guy tell me a story on the way to a race, about a tosser (who is also a genuine fast guy) who was leading a 6hr and had to call at the top of his voice everytime he caught a slower rider, "Track, Race Leader coming through". We all pissed ourselves about what a cock he was...

One of group riding in the race was a mate with his young son. The course had a couple of different length options and they chose the shorter one. The middle one I was on shared sections and eventually I came across them in front of me. As I caught them, for a piss take, I yelled out as loud as i could "Track, Race Leader coming through". Oddly, they didn't really react as I thought they would have (by laughing at the joke) and generally seemed a bit put out by their body language from behind.

As I caught their wheel, i realised that it wasn't actually them!! Once I quickly explained the joke they were cool. "Pretty much worked out you weren't the race leader anyway", the dad said with a smile.

Ouch, :)

MTB Pilot

Likes Dirt
Did you tell him he needs to learn how to climb hills and pace himself better so he's got something left in the tank to finish with? Might of been some race sledging or just a genuine idiot, but an old saying comes to mind. "Better to have people think you're an idiot, than open your mouth and prove it". Guess he proved it by opening his mouth and then seeing you pass him, only to see finish a long way in front of him. Hope you gave him a wink after the race. All part of racing!

matt24

Likes Dirt
I bet you're really fast, and very highly appreciated...
He probably isn't, but at the same time he doesn't need two pages of people on the Internet patting the op on the back because his easily offended. If he hadn't overtook him on the next climb I wonder if this thread would even exist haha