Rude Riders

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
Oh yeah, use a bit of common sense and have a bit of respect for the rules on this site. Use the term iFag again and you'll be copping a ban.
Apologies, wasnt thinking of the greater meaning ^^^

About 4 years ago now i was on a preferred direction trail and came round a corner, met another rider, i went bush and down a small hill. Unhurt and the other rider got off and offered help, we go the bike back up onto the trail. He said "sorry i didnt hear you coming" and pointed to his earphones , i said something along the lines of "no worries, see you later" and rode on. It was as i rode away i thought about it and he was riding in the unpreferred direction basically deaf to what was going on around him, i was off the trail by the time he had even seen me, we would have had good head on for sure.

We are now getting a few nice shared use trails here and all it takes is one rider collision with walker, pushchair or anyone else who we are sharing with and it could seriously damage future shared trails. If riders are using these with music blasting in the ears instead keeping their wits about them they are risking access for the rest of us.... theres no doubt that if a collision occurs the MTBer will certainly get the blame everytime.

Dozer

Heavy machinery.
Staff member
Im not worried if you are stuck up but on bike trails or shared use trails neither the riders, walker or anyone should be listening to music.

In the US there has been deaths on trails because of them, google it.

You are full of it !!! Engage brain before typing. 1 dickhead riding up a trail plugged into his ifag, the other clown belting down also with phones in his ears.... I can tell you what happens next and they both deserve it.

Use a bit of common sense. Listen to what's going on around you and have a bit of respect for other trail users.
I know of a deaf guy who fucking pins it on a mountain bike. I laugh at all you fools who say listening to music whilst exercising is a bad thing, you're just being a tosser.

For what it's worth; your scenario is shit. What noise would a guy coming down a hill hear from a guy coming up if neither had music playing?

pharmaboy

Eats Squid

I know of a deaf guy who fucking pins it on a mountain bike. I laugh at all you fools who say listening to music whilst exercising is a bad thing, you're just being a tosser.

For what it's worth; your scenario is shit. What noise would a guy coming down a hill hear from a guy coming up if neither had music playing?
The question should be, what noise can the guy hear coming up the hill as the guy coming down approaches?

I've had a near miss at high speed, when the guy coming up the trail heard my freewheel/chain clanking, whatever, and bailed off to the side - would it have been different if he had headphones on? I dont know, nor do i want to test the theory out.

FWIW, i also ride with someone with a degree of deafness - but he doesnt have any control over it.

Big JD

Wheel size expert

fools/tosser is a bit harsh mate
The guy coming down would hear nothing but the climber would hear more (that is why I give way as a climber rather than the decender). Why is it so absurd to think I run a greater risk by taking away one of my senses (earphone in). Your deaf mate's other senses would be so intensely tuned and hearing nothing would be the norm. We have had this discussion before and as usual common sense should prevail. Is anyone suggesting banning music while riding your bike - I think not. I personally dont ride (road or off) with music from a purely safety perspective - I would prefer it but I need all the senses I can muster.
Each to their own but if I have another head on, on the tight yarra trails with one more person charging it with headphones on and music blasting - i will wrap them around their necks.

mtb1611

Seymour
You are full of it !!! Engage brain before typing. 1 dickhead riding up a trail plugged into his ifag, the other clown belting down also with phones in his ears.... I can tell you what happens next and they both deserve it.

Use a bit of common sense. Listen to what's going on around you and have a bit of respect for other trail users.
Oh the irony....

gcmkt

Squid
Are (some) roadies elitists

Classic, would have felt good letting him know you caught him on the climb. What a tool. On the topic of rude riders, I've started to ride a roadie to get some klms up in the morning before work through the week. It amazing how friendly road riders are to other roadies. I've passed the same group on the roadie and get a wave/nod/hey, yet when I ride the mtb and ride past the same riders get nothing. Are Roadies elitists?

Big JD

Wheel size expert
Classic, would have felt good letting him know you caught him on the climb. What a tool. On the topic of rude riders, I've started to ride a roadie to get some klms up in the morning before work through the week. It amazing how friendly road riders are to other roadies. I've passed the same group on the roadie and get a wave/nod/hey, yet when I ride the mtb and ride past the same riders get nothing. Are Roadies elitists?
dont think so - MTBers and road bike riders have the fact they both ride bicycles in common. It is easier to talk to someone about a matter of common interest. I say hello to everyone i meet off road but would probably get arrested if i did that on my daily commute. People generally only talk to strangers if they have something to share of common - the weather, sport, incident or to flirt.
On my commute today a big ugly rat ran out of the grass - hit my wheel - bounced off and kept running. The roadie behind me had a good laugh with me about it.

0psi

Eats Squid
It amazing how friendly road riders are to other roadies. I've passed the same group on the roadie and get a wave/nod/hey, yet when I ride the mtb and ride past the same riders get nothing. Are Roadies elitists?
I think the difference is whether you are a cyclist or just a bloke on a bike. Most roadies wave to me when I'm on my mtb but that might just be because I'm lycra'd up and riding at a reasonable pace, obviously a cyclist, "Hi!". If I were in my baggy kit tootling along on an AM style bike at a glance I could just be a bloke on his way back from the pub.

Having said that there are plenty of elitist's out there, both on the road and mountain. I've even had a guy on an AM bike ignore me, possibly because I was on a 29er hardtail dressed in lycra.

Big JD

Wheel size expert
I think the difference is whether you are a cyclist or just a bloke on a bike. Most roadies wave to me when I'm on my mtb but that might just be because I'm lycra'd up and riding at a reasonable pace, obviously a cyclist, "Hi!". If I were in my baggy kit tootling along on an AM style bike at a glance I could just be a bloke on his way back from the pub.

Having said that there are plenty of elitist's out there, both on the road and mountain. I've even had a guy on an AM bike ignore me, possibly because I was on a 29er hardtail dressed in lycra.
yeah it would be the lycra buddy

tell me was it themed - like a full kit with matching top, socks, gloves and helmet and knicks?

I find strava has made dicks out of people in the bush now... the difference between having a friendly chat and good ride with people you meet has now people that are ignorant assholes who almost bowl you over and look filthy when you have been in the way with nowhere to possibly go on a track except to leap into a snake infested shrub just so the fag can get .25 of a second faster and beat themselves off after ...

Nothing beats a chatting to someone about the trail or noble steed they enjoy just like yourself...

Knopey

Likes Dirt
It's nothing to do with Strava. There have always been, continue to be, and will always be, cocks.

Big JD

Wheel size expert
I find strava has made dicks out of people in the bush now... the difference between having a friendly chat and good ride with people you meet has now people that are ignorant assholes who almost bowl you over and look filthy when you have been in the way with nowhere to possibly go on a track except to leap into a snake infested shrub just so the fag can get .25 of a second faster and beat themselves off after ...

Nothing beats a chatting to someone about the trail or noble steed they enjoy just like yourself...
bit harsh to label all strava users as fags

many might be bi-sexual

nthn32

Cannon Fodder
I have just started getting into the downhill trails and freeriding and everyone I have met has been really awesome. Coming from a roadbike in an area that roadies rule the road I am stoked that I can say hello to someone without getting ignored or told off. Sorry to the people that have had shitty encounters with other riders, those people just aren't riding for the right reasons anyways.

Dozer

Heavy machinery.
Staff member
I have just started getting into the downhill trails and freeriding and everyone I have met has been really awesome. Coming from a roadbike in an area that roadies rule the road I am stoked that I can say hello to someone without getting ignored or told off. Sorry to the people that have had shitty encounters with other riders, those people just aren't riding for the right reasons anyways.
Thats great to hear. The arseholes are the minority in mountain biking and for me one of the reasons I ride i because the bulk of the people are cool dudes and dudettes. Like every walk of life though, you do come across some oxygen thieves but that isn't anything some dogshit under the door handle won't resolve. ;)