Rude Riders

Mr_hANky

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Yeh nice assumption twit. Or maybe i just have thicker skin than most of the faires these days. I wont lie when i do an XC round i get stuck behind riders on the down, but then they blitz me on the up. I give them a good heckle when im tailgating them down the hill, then they smoke me up the hill. They dont take it personally and life continues.

harmonix1234

Eats Squid
Best thing you can do is beat him. And you did that. Just doing that shatters all of his fucktardery and ego.
Either that or just 'accidentally' run your front wheel into his RD. Oops.

pharmaboy

Eats Squid
Best thing you can do is beat him. And you did that. Just doing that shatters all of his fucktardery and ego.
Either that or just 'accidentally' run your front wheel into his RD. Oops.
lol, big oopsi for your toes if you are wrong by 30mm!

One of the constants of human communications, is that what is intended and what is received is often entirely different

harmonix1234

Eats Squid
lol, big oopsi for your toes if you are wrong by 30mm!

One of the constants of human communications, is that what is intended and what is received is often entirely different
Yes, and punctuation.

Can you help your uncle jackoff the horse?
Can you help your uncle Jack, off the horse?

neo_vitamin

Likes Dirt
Im not worried if you are stuck up but on bike trails or shared use trails neither the riders, walker or anyone should be listening to music.

In the US there has been deaths on trails because of them, google it.
What a load - you can tell what's happening with music on. I'll happily ride trails with headphones on, doesn't stop me from saying hi to to people passing by.

There have been tossers that couldn't give a sh*t about anyone long before Strava, MP3 players and headphones.

0psi

Eats Squid
What a load - you can tell what's happening with music on. I'll happily ride trails with headphones on, doesn't stop me from saying hi to to people passing by.
So why is it everytime I come across a rider/runner out on the trails with headphones on they can never hear my, "Excuse me, excuse me, EXCUSE ME MATE, Hello?" Then they get all shirty when I sprint past because they get startled.

If you are going to ride with headphones on then at least ride fast enough that people behind you don't get bored, ride to one side of the trail so other people can pass and have the volume down low enough to hear the abuse others are yelling at you.

Admittedly I do get a little kick out of this when I'm running and pass a rider.

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
What a load - you can tell what's happening with music on. I'll happily ride trails with headphones on.
You are full of it !!! Engage brain before typing. 1 dickhead riding up a trail plugged into his ifag, the other clown belting down also with phones in his ears.... I can tell you what happens next and they both deserve it.

Use a bit of common sense. Listen to what's going on around you and have a bit of respect for other trail users.

matt24

Likes Dirt
because everyone that listens to music while riding does so at such a high volume you can't hear anything at all. Sound logic there, cant see how you could be possibly wrong with your highly 'engaged' brain.

Mitch243

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I do the headphone thing when I night ride. I have no qualms about this as you'll see lights as a first warning - better than sound IMO.

That said I still don't have music up very loud, nor do I use sealing headphones. As a matter of perspective, if some rodent ducks into the bushes I will hear the rustle.

mik_git

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Sure not everyone does, but there's a fair few out there who have the ipod set to 11 blasting out theirtunes to everyone else. Personally I'm having too much fun to be needing music/distractions, but its horses for courses isn't it.
Was out riding a trail I have never ridden before todayand saw quite a few FS XC bikes and a coupel of guys on DH (well DH 5 years ago) bikes, and all I'm thinking is wow this would be even more fun on a full rigid rather than a HT... we all like different stuff

wilddemon

Likes Dirt
I love a few tunes when I ride, and when I do, I only use one earphone. On the road its always my left so drivers don't think I'm oblivious, or an asshole. The latter they can learn upon meeting me one day :p

October26

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Sounds like a dick move harassing someone after a fall. I always stop to see if they are ok.

Only two things that frustrate me in races:

People who gun past you in the last few metres of fireroad only to slow WAAAAAY down on the singletrack. Seriously, if you are going to gun it, gun the singletrack too.
The other is people who aren't cool enough to be cool and say hello.

If Jason English has enough time to chat to me whilst riding his way to victory, you do too.

PINT of Stella. mate!

Many, many Scotches
You are full of it !!! Engage brain before typing. 1 dickhead riding up a trail plugged into his ifag, the other clown belting down also with phones in his ears.... I can tell you what happens next and they both deserve it.

Use a bit of common sense. Listen to what's going on around you and have a bit of respect for other trail users.
I've ridden with headphones in my ears since the days of my paper-round 20 years ago and I've never had a single issue. Common sense dictates that you don't have them stuck up to 11 (if only to protect your hearing) but I've found that without a set of buds in your ears you can't hear half of whats going on around you due to wind rush.

Oh yeah, use a bit of common sense and have a bit of respect for the rules on this site. Use the term iFag again and you'll be copping a ban.

neo_vitamin

Likes Dirt

To be fair, two way trails are definitely more problematic - and people should take that into account. I started using headphones on the North Shore, as everything runs in on direction, no two way traffic, so this goes a long way to help. That type of terrain tends to make bikes damn noisy so I never had a problem with bikes approaching from behind and not knowing they were around.

Now in Perth the trail centres are really well designed and also run one direction (95%, the odd rider goes the wrong way - no big deal), I keep conscious and mindful of people behind, luckily the longer climbs where someone might be putting the hurt on are more open, passing is easier. Fast downs - again enough bike noise I can hear the odd occasion of a rider behind. I shudder to think how I'll cope with someone on stealth hub and clutch derailleur... so quiet :)

Racing I think is another story, way too many riders, passing is a total priority and far to many people sorting out positions, and back-forth passing. Not sure if its a rule, but I've never seen the headphones at races in Perth.

Last edited:

PINT of Stella. mate!

Many, many Scotches
To be fair, two way trails are definitely more problematic - and people should take that into account.
Hearing is less of a factor when you're discussing oncoming traffic.

If one rider's going along at full pelt and the other's also going along at full pelt, the noise of their respective bikes, the wind factor, their closing speeds and fact that both riders' primary focus is on the trail ahead mean that they will be on top of each other at about exactly the same time they hear each other.

Big JD

Wheel size expert
Hearing is less of a factor when you're discussing oncoming traffic.

If one rider's going along at full pelt and the other's also going along at full pelt, the noise of their respective bikes, the wind factor, their closing speeds and fact that both riders' primary focus is on the trail ahead mean that they will be on top of each other at about exactly the same time they hear each other.
not if you have a bell Stella - a must on the Yarra tight and twisties.