Rotorburn equivalent for utes? - Haakon vs The World

Mattyp

Cows go boing
BFG KO2 are noisy and shit on wet tarmac, but their off-road performance and puncture resistance is above anything else in an AT. I have them on my Delica purely for that reason alone. Have been all through the Vic high country on shaley and rocky tracks and no cuts or flat tyres. Alot of ATs are slightly aggressive road tyres, weak sidewalls and thin carcass so I guess it really depends on what you plan to do with them.

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
BFG KO2 are noisy and shit on wet tarmac, but their off-road performance and puncture resistance is above anything else in an AT. I have them on my Delica purely for that reason alone. Have been all through the Vic high country on shaley and rocky tracks and no cuts or flat tyres. Alot of ATs are slightly aggressive road tyres, weak sidewalls and thin carcass so I guess it really depends on what you plan to do with them.
I have BFG KO2's on my car now, just over 3yrs old, got about 8-10mm left on them, screech around every corner and feel like they are made of plastic... driving/braking in the wet is dangerous.
Going to award them the prize for the worst tyres I have ever had on a 4WD and have used Mickey Thompson, Dick Cepek, Coopers, Dunlop and Good Year in the past.
Being tossed in the bin well before they should be, will never buy them again.

Minlak

custom titis
I didn't even ask a price, just told them to order them for me... can only guess they will look after me.

Just like bike parts, vehicle tyres are a little scarce too, 1-2 weeks order time and will be saved for #1 sons next shift so he can fit them.
My current tyres (new on car when we bought it) are 30000 k's in and prob half worn and I am already getting ready to change to the Toyo Open Country I just love them and they have never let me down on my previous cars. Current quote I have for 265/65/17's is $220 a tyre fitted.

creaky

XMAS Plumper
My current tyres (new on car when we bought it) are 30000 k's in and prob half worn and I am already getting ready to change to the Toyo Open Country I just love them and they have never let me down on my previous cars. Current quote I have for 265/65/17's is $220 a tyre fitted.
That’s really cheap. Are you getting the LT casing? You tow a trailer from memory but maybe not much off road?

creaky

XMAS Plumper
Yup rated to 1250kg a tyre
That’s good then. Are you buying new rims as well? I’ve never bought new rims with tyres but I’ve heard it can be more economical after a couple of sets of tyres given the premium you seem to pay for less rubber (larger diameter rims).

Minlak

custom titis
That’s good then. Are you buying new rims as well? I’ve never bought new rims with tyres but I’ve heard it can be more economical after a couple of sets of tyres given the premium you seem to pay for less rubber (larger diameter rims).
I am still on the fence about rims at the moment - I think if I do it I want prettier ones as well.
The deal with the rims and tyres was a $400 discount if I give them my old rims and tyres. But I have a quite atm for just tyres which is what I quoted. That was the tyres he had in stock though so might be different when I decide.

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
I am still on the fence about rims at the moment - I think if I do it I want prettier ones as well.
The deal with the rims and tyres was a $400 discount if I give them my old rims and tyres. But I have a quite atm for just tyres which is what I quoted. That was the tyres he had in stock though so might be different when I decide.
Not worth it for $400 AND your old rims.

ozzybmx

Anyone keeping up with the 300 series reveals? Looks like a starship inside.
Not anymore. Was interested originally in what it would look like. Looks OK but wouldn't touch it with a barge pole until the potential engine issues are found and sorted out, that will be 3-4 years away.

Gone from 4.5L V8 TT to 3.3L V6 TT, with more torque and KW. It has got a 10spd gear box though.

ozzybmx

What’s the history of the 3.3? Completely new or proven reliable / dud in other chassis / markets already?
It's a new engine, supposedly going into a GR Hilux and possibly the Tundra when it comes to Oz to compete with the influx of Murican Utes we are currently seeing.

Not doubt it will be a good engine at some stage but I reckon that's a few years off yet.

Also how much power can you squeeze out of a 3.3 without effecting longevity of the engine.

They had a 4.5 TT in the 200 and it had 15% less torque and KW than the new 3.3.