Roadie recall on Dura Ace and Ultegra

ForkinGreat

Knows his Brassica oleracea
Bad thing is this problem was well known years and years ago. Specifically I bought 105 cranks for my ultegra build about 6 years ago for this reason. What I'm surprised at is that they did nothing to fix it!

Wonder if it affects mtb cranks too, or are they less weight weenie?
ask shimano, or the internetz. some burly cranks like Zee, are obviously not bonded, but anything hollowtech II may be.

Calvin27

Eats Squid
ask shimano, or the internetz. some burly cranks like Zee, are obviously not bonded, but anything hollowtech II may be.
Interwebs seem to suggest it's only ultegra/durace. I would have thought at least xt and above (given the weight differences) would use the same tech? Unless they deemed it unsuitable for applications where you are absolutely going to smash the cranks on racks and all that.

ForkinGreat

Knows his Brassica oleracea
Interwebs seem to suggest it's only ultegra/durace. I would have thought at least xt and above (given the weight differences) would use the same tech? Unless they deemed it unsuitable for applications where you are absolutely going to smash the cranks on racks and all that.
reach out to Shimano Oz then (on FB, not email. Some companies do not bother to return emails)

Mattyp

Cows go boing
The MTB hollowtech cranks are bonded (edit: apparently not) but it's not the same design as the roadie cranks. Road cranks integrate into the spider / chainring and this is where they are failing. I recently performed a stress test of a set of XT cranks (see fuckwits thread) and could not get them to break with a 4foot extension bar and me hanging off it.... you'll be right.

Broken-Shimano-Ultegra-6800-crankset-6-f7ff405-scaled~2.jpg

Last edited:

Asininedrivel

caviar connoisseur
The MTB hollowtech cranks are bonded, but it's not the same design as the roadie cranks. Road cranks integrate into the spider / chainring and this is where they are failing. I recently performed a stress test of a set of XT cranks (see fuckwits thread) and could not get them to break with a 4foot extension bar and me hanging off it.... you'll be right.

View attachment 403574
Cheers for the info but I wonder if that only exempts the current 12 speed direct mount cranksets? 11 speed and older still use spiders.

Anyway, unlikely to be throwing down enough watt bombs to trouble my old M9000s.

Flow-Rider

Burner
Looks like they're going to start a class action against Shimano in the States. (Trek and specialized involved too)

Class-action lawsuit filed against Shimano, Specialized and Trek over Hollowtech crank failures

A proposed class-action lawsuit has been filed against Shimano, Specialized and Trek in the USA in the wake of the massive Hollowtech crankset recall.

The lawsuit alleges the crankset recall is “inadequate”, claiming that, by not recalling all Hollowtech cranksets, Shimano is “working hard to limit the cost of fixing the issue at the expense of consumers”.

The suit also accuses Trek and Specialized of “knowingly and intentionally misrepresenting, omitting, concealing, and/or failing to disclose material facts regarding the quality, reliability, and safety of the cranksets.”

The Duckmeister

Has a juicy midrange
Bad thing is this problem was well known years and years ago. Specifically I bought 105 cranks for my ultegra build about 6 years ago for this reason. What I'm surprised at is that they did nothing to fix it!

Wonder if it affects mtb cranks too, or are they less weight weenie?
MTB cranks are not affected. Different manufacturing process (basically, not glued).

SummitFever

Eats Squid
Are the current hollow mtb cranks the same process as they used to be? They were forged around a mandrel that was then removed (out the pedal end) and then the pedal insert added and the end formed over.