question about android, apple, and windows operatings systems on smart phones

brad353

Likes Dirt
i've decided i'm definitely going to buy an android equipped htc phone. still not entirely sure as to which model yet though. the sensation looks amazing! being with telstra though, i don't think the sensation is an option for me? the desire s doesn't look as good as the sensation but still very impressive, and will probably be the phone i end up choosing if i can't get the sensation on telstra. thanks for everyones help, i'll definitely let you all know which model i end up buying this weekend.

wombat

Lives in a hole
I think I might have to look to buy sooner than I'd hoped, my phone tells me the SD card in it is damaged, but the PC reads it fine, and the phone refuses to format it. I have a feeling the SD interface in the handset might be rooted after its last fall.

I did see an ad today though saying that Vodafone are offering the same phone (legend) on their $29 dollar cap, but for the first 12 months of the contract you only get billed $19. It's not up there with the current crop of handsets, but it's bloody good value at that money, I'd just leave it running 2.1.

Let us know if you hear anything about the Sensation of GSII coming out over here.

brad353

Likes Dirt
i bought a htc desire s today. it's pretty impressive so far, think it's gonna take me a while to get the hang of it but loving it so far.

aceblueheeler1992

Likes Dirt
yea i got a HTC desier HD, 8mp camera, HD video, massive screen, android, super easy. it really is a great phone....except it has queer cock sucking battery life. even with minimum brightness and barely using it except for the odd 2 phone calls <10 mins each and maybe 10 or so text and i am nearly flat at the end of the night.

cha_cha_

Likes Dirt
I did see an ad today though saying that Vodafone are offering the same phone (legend) on their $29 dollar cap, but for the first 12 months of the contract you only get billed $19. It's not up there with the current crop of handsets, but it's bloody good value at that money, I'd just leave it running 2.1.
nexus s and galaxy s are both available for free on $29 caps (voda and optus respectively) and are much better phones than the legend. perhaps try one of those...

edit: also, comparing android with ios is different to comparing android and iphones. the former includes the many, many ipod touch and ipad installs which aren't really relevant in this case...

Rider_of_Fast

Likes Bikes
yea i got a HTC desier HD, 8mp camera, HD video, massive screen, android, super easy. it really is a great phone....except it has queer cock sucking battery life. even with minimum brightness and barely using it except for the odd 2 phone calls <10 mins each and maybe 10 or so text and i am nearly flat at the end of the night.
That's what I heard about the HTC Desire HD (i.e. sucky battery life), hence I'm gonna stay away from that one... I don't like the sound of having to charge my phone every night. If you're away from your charger one night, you're stuffed!

I think the HTC Sensation may have a higher capacity battery, not sure...

Ahh the dilemma: HTC Sensation OR Samsung Galaxy SII... that's what it has come down to for me.

nskz

Likes Dirt
There is absolutely no way on earth that Android has a greater market share than iOS. Where did you get that graphic?
Ahh yeah it does, particularly given that Android is used by a massive amount of phones now, iOS is used by one. I have no idea what that data you posted is based on but it sure as hell isn't sales data, must be based on mobile internet usage or something.

Below is the market share (global) via sales data for Q1 2011

Symbian 27.4%
Android 36.0%
RIM 12.9%
iOS 16.8%
Microsoft 3.6%
Other 3.3%

The take up of Android has been massive since HTC and a few other key manufacturers pumped out some sweet phones. From Q2-2009 to Q2-2010 Android market share (sales based) went from ~2% to ~17%....

Last edited:

LJohn

Likes Dirt
Although I hate windows fanboyism as I think it's just blind hate for anything apple, I like android better for phones.

I own a mac because it suits what I want to use it for better than a windows computer, just for reference.

I wouldn't use an iPhone for a few reasons.

Size. It's huge. I like pocket space. I use an Xperia X10 Mini because it's small.

Keyboard. I like being able to walk and text and also being able to look where I'm going, so tangible keypad was a must. The amount of times I've purposely nudged into touch screen texters just to make a douchebag point is constantly increasing.

Fragility. They crack like a mofo. People that baby their stuff will obviously experience something different, but I'm pretty harsh on my phones so that was a deterrent.

Cost. You do get a lot, as with any mac product, but it's also an expensive phone. I'm overjoyed with mine for half as much.

So all in all it's the same case with mac. If you happen to be in the percentage where all those factors are suited by an iPhone, go get one. But as with mac, if you buy one for the look you are a complete muppet.

Ahh yeah it does, particularly given that Android is used by a massive amount of phones now, iOS is used by one. I have no idea what that data you posted is based on but it sure as hell isn't sales data, must be based on mobile internet usage or something.

Below is the market share (global) via sales data for Q1 2011

Symbian 27.4%
Android 36.0%
RIM 12.9%
iOS 16.8%
Microsoft 3.6%
Other 3.3%

The take up of Android has been massive since HTC and a few other key manufacturers pumped out some sweet phones. From Q2-2009 to Q2-2010 Android market share (sales based) went from ~2% to ~17%....
Reference?

hazza6542

Eats Squid
Fragility. They crack like a mofo.
again, my desire has gone through a lot and has one crack. I have friends with iPhone's who have dropped them off tables and the whole thing cracks. I got on hairline crack that can only be seen properly when the screens off, so not exactly a worry.

chris95

Likes Dirt
I don't have that phone but i have a SE xperia x10 and it the start it would hammer through the battery, then i downloaded an app called 'Advance task killer' and it now last 3 days when not being overused. It automatically shuts down apps that arn't in use to save power.

wombat

Lives in a hole
nexus s and galaxy s are both available for free on $29 caps (voda and optus respectively) and are much better phones than the legend. perhaps try one of those...
I've already got a Legend, and although I love it for its build, I won't get another one at this stage, just not grunty enough.

I looked at the Nexus S too, but with the Galaxy S 2 only a month or so away, and ~$65 on both optus and voda, I think it will be a toss up between that and the Sensation. I know the sensation isnt meant to be as fast, but if the price is the same, I reckon I'll go that way because I've come to like the Sense UI.

Indications seem to be that we'll see the Sensation around July too, and on most carriers by the looks of it.

jayjay3032

Likes Bikes
I have qn iPhone mainly because I use macs at home and work. Everything just work so simply. Got my mobile me syncing everything up nicely and can remote control computers from the phone.

It pretty tough too. Never had a phone last this long (22 months!) It's had a pretty tough life and I've never used a case. Screen is fine but I use a protector on it.

Will buy a iPhone 4s/5 when it's released in September

cha_cha_

Likes Dirt
I looked at the Nexus S too, but with the Galaxy S 2 only a month or so away, and ~$65 on both optus and voda, I think it will be a toss up between that and the Sensation. I know the sensation isnt meant to be as fast, but if the price is the same, I reckon I'll go that way because I've come to like the Sense UI.

Indications seem to be that we'll see the Sensation around July too, and on most carriers by the looks of it.
nexus and sgs (1) are both great value, but yeah if you have the money to splash on a premium phone then yeah, you can't really go wrong between the sensation or the sgs2.

personally, if i were shopping right now (i'm not - still a few months to go on my existing contract) i would probably get this: https://www.allphones.com.au/shop/outright_detail.asp?code=4030

...and then use it on a telstra BYO freedom 49 or something...

Rider_of_Fast

Likes Bikes
nexus and sgs (1) are both great value, but yeah if you have the money to splash on a premium phone then yeah, you can't really go wrong between the sensation or the sgs2.

personally, if i were shopping right now (i'm not - still a few months to go on my existing contract) i would probably get this: https://www.allphones.com.au/shop/outright_detail.asp?code=4030

...and then use it on a telstra BYO freedom 49 or something...
$800 for the Samsung Galaxy SII - I think I have been swayed.

Being a newbie to the smart phone arena, is 1.5GB/mth data enough? Im referring to the telstra BYO freedom 49 plan as it otherwise looks like pretty good value.

cha_cha_

Likes Dirt
yeah, 1.5 should be fine - i'm on 1g at the moment and to use all of that i need to be torrenting or something...

also, telstra have just started shaping their mobile plans rather than charging excess data rates. check your fine print, but i think it should have already been implemented.

if you have an existing telstra bundle you should be able to get that freedom plan for another $10 off.

lastly, do your sign up at JB hifi - they are basically a telstra shop except they can give you JB gift vouchers up to $200 if play it right.