Project Car / Motorbike thread. Let's see 'em.

Likes Dirt
Ended up finding an 02 B4 that had only done 77k kms! Stoked!
Plan to do exhaust, intercooler and tune when I have some cash. May lower it as well.

Sam.

Eats Squid
Ended up finding an 02 B4 that had only done 77k kms! Stoked!
Plan to do exhaust, intercooler and tune when I have some cash. May lower it as well.
Hell yes thats a rig and a half you have yourself there! TBE, new top mount and tune should do you a world of good.

If you aren't already a member head on over and check out ozlib and club liberty. As far as I know there are a few Rotorburners over those ways. Although I don't post very frequently both forums are the first places I head to if/when I have issues with mine or if I need to source a part that I can't seem to locate.

Maybe check this thread out for starters:

http://www.ozliberty.com/home/forum/topic/twin-turbo-liberty-path-to-performance-7713/.

Enjoy!

Likes Dirt
Hell yes thats a rig and a half you have yourself there! TBE, new top mount and tune should do you a world of good.

If you aren't already a member head on over and check out ozlib and club liberty.
Cheers for that! I'm on club liberty but not ozlib yet. I will definitely be doing some mods when i get a bit more cash but for now I'm just enjoying forced induction :very_drunk::very_drunk:

Likes Dirt
Doesn't the R have 4-Motion 4wd?
Yeah the R is AWD, but it's pretty front wheel biased without a haldex controller.

What leitch said. The golf is FWD until it detects slip and transfers some power to the rear. It's much better in the R than the old R32s apparently, but it's still a reactive system. I believe the B4 has a standard 50-50 torque split, but the viscous coupling can transfer up to 80% of drive to either the front or rear wheels, and then the rear LSD between left and right rear wheels. (think that's right, happy to be corrected.)
Both diffs in the R are open, and you definately notice the understeer. My b4 has much more neutral handling.

binner

Hath shat hymself
micro racer

^^^^ top stuff!! have fun wid it,,, good to see some classics come up.

Just think in 20/30 yrs time all these soobies n imports will be getting bought & restored by blokes who had them when they were young thinking that they were classics in the day.....:concern:

Elbo

pesky scooter kids git off ma lawn
1991 VW Golf GTI Mk2

Here's my relatively new daily, a 1991 Golf GTI Mk2 (got it at the start of the year). Thankfully its been looked after, only done 160,000km in its 21 years and the interior is in good condition. It's probably half daily/half project. Plans at this stage are eventually get coilovers, upgrade headlights, fix the electrics (some things are very temperamental, wipers only work flat out, no intermittent or slow, fan doesn't work on highest speed, radio doesn't work sometimes). Power steering cut out in the big wet we had up here in Sydney at the start of the week, so need to make a guard to stop water flicking up onto the belts. Was thinking about going for some different wheels, probably BBS, but the stock steelies are growing on me (which would save some $$ as well).

Mechanically it's running well, would like some more power out of it, but I can think about that in the future.

Golfs are attracted to each other. My Mk2 and a Mk4 at Meadowbank.

I'll try and get a full body shot soon, maybe after I clean the car too (and find and get rid of the ant's nest that seems to be hiding somewhere).

The latest problem has been water leaking into the car and pooling on the floor, leaving a lovely surprise when I get back to the car and the carpets are underwater by about 1cm! I think I've found where the problem is, the rubber window scrapes on the rear doors are quite hard and have pulled away from the window, so any water that gets on the window runs straight down into the door. I replaced the old torn vapour barriers inside the door thinking that would fix it (as the door was draining perfectly fine), but the water must come in so fast it splashes onto the vapour barrier and runs down it, seeps through the duct tape and onto the door card and onto the carpet. So I redid the vapour barriers again, this time with a second sheet angled back towards the drain holes of the door. Hopefully this stops the water until I can source some new window scrapes, which should completely seal the car!

The water damage to the door card.

Hopefully this helps stop the water getting in the car.

wespelarno

Likes Dirt
Finally finished putting the steering column back together, new indicator switch included. Now, not only can I indicate, it actually handles better and has a lot more positive feel in the wheel. So overall, the excessive effort to replace a stupid switch seems to have paid off.

moto_guy

Banned
1985 Toyota Corolla KE70: worth it as a sleeper project?
low power, but low weight and rear wheel drive too..
Hell yes it is I just got one and I plan on dropping a 4age in it eventually. You can get about 100kw out of it then. There is alot of information about it on rolla club and ae86 driving club forums.

stringbean

Likes Bikes and Dirt
1985 Toyota Corolla KE70: worth it as a sleeper project?
low power, but low weight and rear wheel drive too..
drop a few pages back and have a look at the purple one i posted up, there are an awesome little car, im guessing you want a cheap car to slide round in?

~Alan~

Likes Dirt
Hell yes it is I just got one and I plan on dropping a 4age in it eventually. You can get about 100kw out of it then. There is alot of information about it on rolla club and ae86 driving club forums.
I use to have an AE86 w/4AGE 16V. Miss it so much, great fun.

richie_gt

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Any VW nuts here?

I’ve been thinking about getting a new car (2[SUP]nd[/SUP] hand) – I like the VW Golf GTI, been scoping Mk V with DSG transmission, are these things reliable?

I can see a bucketload of dribble about DSG on the interweb, people bagging out the transmissions saying they are unreliable, but just as many other people say they are ok?

The look like great value, 08-09 for under $30k!