Project Car / Motorbike thread. Let's see 'em.

seventyseven

percent of Australians blame the bike for their cr
Thats your opinion..

That being said, there is no such thing as a mint s13 for ~$5K..
no, it's fact. it's like trying to find a mint VL.

they weren't bought by any of their previous owners to be babied & therefore be valuable collectibles one day. for starters too many were sold and secondly too many were sold to scummers.

they were bought to have the nuts thrashed off them - which they did.

wespelarno

Likes Dirt
Stretch gets cred. Fwd4lyf. Etc.

All easy fixes...if it were in my possession
I figured as much. Just desperately hoping that wasn't part of the appeal.

I get the camaro back early next week, freshly dyno tuned. Should be interesting to see how much power its putting out and how it runs after the tune.

Last edited:

Hew

Likes Dirt
Roses are red,
Violets are blue,
When I drop the clutch,
My VL goes sutututu.

Saw this on Facebook, had to post it.

jjperko

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Wondering if any of you guys can help me out?

I'm kinda in the market for a new car at some stage soon, as my Magna is getting on a bit. I would call myself a car enthusiast, though most of my knowledge relates to historic vehicles.

As well as a daily driver, the car would have to be able to carry bikes (got a grip rack though) and music gear. The music gear is the bigger issue as quadboxes and stuff basically rule out a sedan.

Should I be looking at something totally boring like a later magna wagon (mines a 95 sedan and has been very good to me, so I'm biased, also not a fan of falcons/commodores) or go for something a bit more exciting.

I'm a student on a low budget, so it has to be below 7.5k. Am I shooting myself in the foot by looking at older RS Libertys and Stageas? Most libertys are high k's and I'm not sure about Stageas reliability. Is this a silly idea?

What are your thoughts? Is there such a thing as a reliable, roomy car that offers some sort of driving pleasure?

Cheers

Hew

Likes Dirt
I really like the libertys, they're good looking, well built, and if they've been maintained/serviced well then they will go for a goodly while. Good boot space, probably a bit more power than the magna? Plus they look beastly lowered a bit with some tastefull wheels.

I'm in favor of a sooby.

floody

Wheel size expert
Anything with a turbo sub $10k will probably be a pile of crap. There's exceptions, but they're few.

I think the catch-up maintenance on a $7.5k stagea could be killer.

Mattydv

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I reckon if you look around you could find a decent Subie at a low enough price. I got my '96 GTB for $2k with 150k on the clock and only minor issues.

jjperko

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Yeah the stagea was an afterthought, with the likely costs and poor fuel economy I'm not too keen. Don't care about a turbo either.

These are the basic requirements:
- Fold down seats, hatch or wagon I dont mind, as long as it has room.
- Preferably manual
-Performance isnt a massive issue, just something that handles a bit nicer and has a bit more go than a 2.6 Magna
-Not horrible on fuel

So yeah I'm not a guy who just wants a turbo, but I'd like something that struggles less with hills and windy roads.

fairy1

Banned
Get a 3.5L Magna, they go alright are cheap as chips and every mechanic can fix one, Magnas always need new shocks so do that and put some thicker swaybars in at the same time. There is also the AWD Magna but I don't think it has any more power than the stock model.

seventyseven

percent of Australians blame the bike for their cr
Get a 3.5L Magna, they go alright are cheap as chips and every mechanic can fix one, Magnas always need new shocks so do that and put some thicker swaybars in at the same time. There is also the AWD Magna but I don't think it has any more power than the stock model.
and they never did a manual version.

Plow King

Little bit.
Selling my money pit. Lol

If you want a bargain feel free to ship me the cash. I've spent close 5k on the car and i paid 14 for it just over a year ago. Basically I've lost patience with it and I'm too busy to get it fixed. So if you wanna pay 10k for a car worth 13-14 feel free. I've been quoted around 550 for the diff reco.

Item Summary: 2003 SUBARU IMPREZA RS MY04,
Postcode: 2233
Odometre: 130,000 kilometres
Asking Price: $10,000
Condition: Used
Reason for Selling: Full license - Sti
Delivery Methods: PickUp
Contact Info: hive_tyrant2001@hotmail.com or pm me here
Extra Information:
Hi guys,

Just throwing my car up here. Basically it's cheap as hell because the diff needs a service/reconditioning. Other than that the engine only has 115k on it nd was replaced 15k ago and was sourced from Brookvale spares. All reciepts etc.

Overall condition is good. Afew small scratches/dings but other than that is in good condition.

If you're interested and want to come for a look/test drive let me know.

I'm not flexible on the price. Don't even try. I spent 13.5k on the car lest January and another 3-4 fixing it.

I work 50 hour weeks and don't really have the time to get it fixed. However if it's not gone in a week I will just get it fixed and sell it for what it's really worth.

If you don't have the money don't waste my time.

Chris

Log books - Servicing info - New engin/clutch info.

Attachments

floody

Wheel size expert
Yeah the stagea was an afterthought, with the likely costs and poor fuel economy I'm not too keen. Don't care about a turbo either.

Stagea fuel economy is not as bad as people make out. Ours dropped from 14l+ per 100km into the 10-11l per 100km sort of range with just an O2 sensor and coolant sensor swap, AAC clean and AFM clean. In regard to costs I'm mostly suggesting a $10k one would be a much cheaper proposition to own and maintain than a neglected $7.5k one.

Unfortunately only series 2s or swapped series 1s are manual (all series 1 cars are factory automatic). Series 2s will be out of your price range.

A 1JZ turbo Soarer was unable to pace our basically stock S1 auto Stagea this morning. For a big car it can lift its skirts and move pretty swiftly. It has a 2.5" Nismo option exhaust, M's pod filter (K&N) and I think a mild boost increase (I think it has a 10psi actuator as opposed to the stock 6-7psi one). In other words its effectively standard.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member FN2187

I bought this XJR1300 about 2 months ago when I first moved to melbourne as a project bike. I picked it up for $2800 from an auction. It was a repairable write off as it had run into a wall or something as the only things that were damaged were a slightly bent fork leg, a ding in the tank and bent handlebars. So I was able to repair the tank myself with filler and a good quality filling primer and some matching metallic black I picked up from Bursons. 10 afternoons of work and you never know it was damaged. Spent most of the time wet sanding and buffing. The right fork leg was straightened professionally and the bars were replaced(which are going to be changed for a set of street fighter bars when I get them from italy, the stock ones are just too high) I figured while I was at it I'd change the boat anchor exhausts for a set of lightweight Delkevics. They look way better and sound tops to boot even with the baffles in. I also changed the mirrors as the stock ones look like shit. Anyway, I didn't get a pic of the ding in the tank before I repaired it but here are a few pics of the stock bike and where its at today.

IMAG0005.jpg

IMAG0106.jpg

Ivan

Eats Squid
Wow, sweet buy man.

I looove xjr's. The forks must not have been too bent if they were repairable.

I want one in the vintage yellow livery, with gold ohlins front and back. It would probably look very tryhard:eek:

Oliver.

Liquid Productions
Just spent the afternoon giving snowflake a good wash and wax.
For the first time I used a clay bar and liquid detailing spray....this stuff really works.

My car (running about 20psi of boost) tends to run quite rich, so there is quite a lot of soot build up on the tailgate. I don't think the previous owner ever used a clay bar, so a lot of the tiny particles, mixed with road grit and brake dust, have found their way into the top clearcoat.

The clay bar got rid of absolutely everything! The finish is now so incredibly smooth, it feels better than a new car that has just been waxed....it's flawless.

anyway, a picture!

Almost time for new pads, so I suspect I will be replacing the current rotors with some slotted aftermarket rotors whilst the pads are being replaced. If I can stretch for it, it will also get a nice carbon CAI for its 75k service. Woop!

D

Deleted member FN2187

Wow, sweet buy man.

I looove xjr's. The forks must not have been too bent if they were repairable.

I want one in the vintage yellow livery, with gold ohlins front and back. It would probably look very tryhard:eek:
Yeah it was very minor, just pulled the wheel from straight a tiny bit. Yeah the yellow xjr1300 SP's are hot. But i think the black is more Muscle bike than fat retired racer hanging onto his youth in the XP. haha.

mad_mike51

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I had a H22A BB4 Prelude for my L's, and even with the H22A motor the ratios felt really long and dreary. Not sure if they fit, but might be worth a shot would be a H2B gearbox kit. That way you get the close ration B16A/B18C box.

What does it ride like with the bags in it? Are they all "understeer city" like the haters make them out to be?
Sorry for the late reply. It's not too bad handling wise, it does under-steer more than coils which is expected but It's not too bad really, it still sticks to the road alright. It's shit over bumpy roads obviously, that's just something you expect with bags but. In newer news the head gasket is on it's way out and with 260 000ks on the clock looks like its time to save for a H22A halfcut and just do that all at once instead of doing the box first then having to change the motor soon after. And if anyone knows someone who wants a 1995 dual cab 4x4 hilux petrol, I'm selling one and need to get rid of it too fund mods for the honda, I got 4500ono on it but it's pretty negotiable as It just needs to be gone.