Project Car / Motorbike thread. Let's see 'em.

Ziggy

Likes Bikes and Dirt
How do I tell whether my rotors are warped? I went driving tonight with the local Subie club, and after a few kilometres I could smell my brakes pretty easily + they felt very spongy. I was just associating this old pads + rotors, but after speaking to another one of the members he said that my rotors are probably warped. I can tell whether I need new pads easily enough by looking at them (I think, similiar to mtb/moto yeah?), but I'm not sure about judging the rest of my brake setup.

And if that is the case, would I get a noticeable difference out of (new or good condition 2nd hand) upgrading to slotted rotors (for the front only), over getting my stock ones machined? I've heard a few differing opinions, is there a general consensus that slotted actually show a benefit with the use of modern pads?
The car is used as a daily with harder driving once a fortnight, with intentions to drive 3 or 4 trackdays over the next 6-9 months. My budget wouldn't be much as I'm currently looking at ~$80 for a set of front pads, but I'm not going to be cheap if it means missing out on something vital.
Smell and spongy feel shouldn't have much to do with your rotors being warped. You'll feel a shudder through the steering wheel and pedal on hard braking if your rotors are warped, if their proper warped you'll feel it even when braking normally. Check your manufacturer for your rotor specifications and see if they are within spec.

I whent from my factory ST170 pads/rotors to EBC greenstuff pads and dba slotted rotors and love the difference. It won't be a day/night difference (it really depends on how bad your stock set up is though), but i would recommend it as one of your first upgrades. At trade price it cost me $700 give or take for rotors and pads F+R, i put them on myself though.

Your brakes aren't discipating heat very well if your smelling them, though it depends on just how hard your pushing it of course. Check your service books and see if your brake fluids been replaced within the last 2 years and even if its just close give your system a flush, should get any air/old fluid out and stop that pedal from feeling spongy. Though as you said, if your smelling your brakes their obviously going to be beyond optimum operating temperature and that will cause them to feel like complete ass and give you brake fade, this can cause your pedal to feel spongy too. Anyway im not that great with this somebody else should chyme in with much better info.

Just whent for a spirited night drive and fell in love with the focus all over again. Ahh the cold air does wonders too. Loving it!

Last edited:

fairy1

Banned
How do I tell whether my rotors are warped? I went driving tonight with the local Subie club, and after a few kilometres I could smell my brakes pretty easily + they felt very spongy. I was just associating this old pads + rotors, but after speaking to another one of the members he said that my rotors are probably warped. I can tell whether I need new pads easily enough by looking at them (I think, similiar to mtb/moto yeah?), but I'm not sure about judging the rest of my brake setup.

And if that is the case, would I get a noticeable difference out of (new or good condition 2nd hand) upgrading to slotted rotors (for the front only), over getting my stock ones machined? I've heard a few differing opinions, is there a general consensus that slotted actually show a benefit with the use of modern pads?
The car is used as a daily with harder driving once a fortnight, with intentions to drive 3 or 4 trackdays over the next 6-9 months. My budget wouldn't be much as I'm currently looking at ~$80 for a set of front pads, but I'm not going to be cheap if it means missing out on something vital.
Your brakes will have a min dia... stamped on the outside of the disc, if they are below that thickness it's time for new ones. Yeah if they feel spongey it's time for a bleed however if you aren't driving too hard and your brakes smell and feel spongey the pads maybe contaminated.
Someone on here will have a better idea on slotted rotors, but from what I have read they will use make you go through brake pads more quickly as the rotors shave a tiny bit off the pad as they pass through. I t is supposed to give better initial bite and allow gas to escape reducing fade.

I think the coils in my car are staring to die, I'm starting to get a miss under boost, ahh well can't complain about 220000km's from a set of coils.

banana.logic

Likes Bikes
I bought a cbr250rr a bit over a year ago and did a few little things to it, it's currently sitting in my shed waiting for and nsr250 front end that I'm modding to be fitted.

Started life in my hands looking like this

then I crashed a low speed on a round about and destroyed a rearset, so I decided to buy some nice aftermarket ones that give a bit more clearance. I also repainted the engine cover and got rid of the old rear brake res (it crumbled into dust when I was bleeding my brakes).

it didn't actually look as good as this in the flesh, just a lucky shot

I then decided to get a giant rear sprocket and yellow chain, rebuild the brakes, and paint the entire thing flat black to try to hide the shitty scratched up paintwork (and make it look totally baddass of course). at this stage I had also put on some nice sticky tyres.

Well that's about it for now, I'll update when I get the new front end sorted.

IronPony

Likes Bikes
I bought a cbr250rr a bit over a year ago

That looks pretty sick with the yellow inside the fairings and yellow chain. I've been looking at these on bikesales for a while now as I just got my license

Did you ever try and see how the top speed was with the old sprocket compared to the new one?

banana.logic

Likes Bikes
That looks pretty sick with the yellow inside the fairings and yellow chain. I've been looking at these on bikesales for a while now as I just got my license

Did you ever try and see how the top speed was with the old sprocket compared to the new one?
Yeah I may have... perfectly legally of course :rolleyes:

Old sprockets would go around 190 ~ but would struggle to get there, new ones hit the speed limiter (which I have now removed, the speedo isn't accurate anymore it reads higher) and I was going about 180 ~ and it gets there so much more easily. you rev out in each gear so much more quickly though and sometimes mid corner you run out of revs if you are hammering it.

83AST

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Yeah I may have... perfectly legally of course :rolleyes:

Old sprockets would go around 190 ~ but would struggle to get there, new ones hit the speed limiter (which I have now removed, the speedo isn't accurate anymore it reads higher) and I was going about 180 ~ and it gets there so much more easily. you rev out in each gear so much more quickly though and sometimes mid corner you run out of revs if you are hammering it.
Sweet bike dude, I think I've seen you riding around in Wollongong. I get my Ls in a month, soo keen!

banana.logic

Likes Bikes
Sweet bike dude, I think I've seen you riding around in Wollongong. I get my Ls in a month, soo keen!
Sweet, any ideas what bike you will get? or do you already have one? Couldn't helb but notice the cagiva logo you've got there, I always wanted a mito but I'm a bit of a giant.

tld_06

Likes Bikes and Dirt
So wrote off my daily AE82 Corolla last night due to a dog running out + cold drum brake rears + power pole, and it looks as though I'll be losing my license for 3 months - culpable driving; what an utter load of shit.

Any one know what implications this has on Probationary periods? I'm on my green P's on the 17th of May, if these fines contain demerit points I lose my license. Does this mean I have to do another year of red p-plate driving?

If so, I'm pissing off the cars and going for the motorbikes again, as I'm fairly sure that I won't be stuck on motorbike L's for another year.

banana.logic

Likes Bikes
Pretty sure you pick back up where you left off with your license. Sucks about the car though dude, ae86's are great. hope you weren't hurt.

Any reason to get into motorbikes is a good reason I recon though.

Mattydv

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Yeah you pick up where you left off.

Sorry to hear about the accident though man, I had a mate roll + write off a bluebird yesterday as well. It's a pretty stressful experience for everyone so I'm glad you're alright.

83AST

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Sweet, any ideas what bike you will get? or do you already have one? Couldn't helb but notice the cagiva logo you've got there, I always wanted a mito but I'm a bit of a giant.
Yep, I got a mito sp 525, just de-restricted it and got an arrow exhaust system aswell, so its got double the HP now, should run pretty sweet!

Toff

Likes Dirt
Quick update on the Rotor, though I'd post a couple of before/ after shots to show what's been happening:

Also the obligatory loud sound system..

So far I've:

Done a full respray, back to original Sunrise Red
Done a custom front mount IC install
Installed stereo gear from scratch
Installed fixed back bucket seat
Relocated battery to boot
Put in new plugs, leads, oil and coolant

Not quite finished, still need to put a few more parts back on, clean up the interior a little and get it tuned. Sound system works a treat, had some trouble with the switched power (nothing from the ignition barrel), so for the moment it's direct to the battery, meaning I have to turn it off manually. Sound is great, Haven't got much to compare it to car stereo wise (couple of mates have entry level Kenwood and Sony/ Fusion gear) but it's up there with some of the HiFi gear I've heard.

Definitely needs a tune, old plugs were covered in black grime so it looks like it's over fueling, blue smoke under throttle would seem to concur with that. Still, plenty of power once it hits boost. Makes me grin like a little child :cool:

Any criticism welcome ;)

banana.logic

Likes Bikes
Yep, I got a mito sp 525, just de-restricted it and got an arrow exhaust system aswell, so its got double the HP now, should run pretty sweet!
You're a lucky man, that's a beautiful bike to own. I'm sure you want to let me have a go on it... :rolleyes:

And Toff, isn't blue smoke usually indicative of burning oil? I thought black smoke was it running rich. Love the colour though, got a soft spot for those old rotors.

tld_06

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Quick update on the Rotor, though I'd post a couple of before/ after shots to show what's been happening:

Any criticism welcome ;)
Criticism? I'd like to have your babies.

Love red SA22C's, still regretting not buying one when they were cheap. Love the Simmons, what's the specs of them?

Cheers for the info on the P-plate laws, that's one late night Macca's run I regret going for...

Toff

Likes Dirt
Love the Simmons, what's the specs of them?
Can't remember off hand, but I measured them to be something like 15x8 at the front and 15x9-9.5 at the back, both have 205 tyres but the backs have some stretch whereas the fronts sit normally. Might have a go at pulling them apart and giving them a good clean + polish at some point, just need to find a place that can put them back together..

As for the smoke, it's not going through any oil and it has a flooding issue at idle/ low revs so perhaps I'm just colourblind.. Guess I'll find out when it goes in for the tune.

wespelarno

Likes Dirt
Camaro is in being dynoed and getting the engine tuned, hopefully with promising results as I've improved fuel and airflow into the engine and improved exhuast flow out of the engine quite a bit.

Last edited:

mad_mike51

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Thought I better finally post a contribution to this thread after trolling it for quite a while now haha. Heres my 1994 Honda Accord wagon, Sitting on air ride struts with them powered by two viair 480c compressors, through a 5 gal tank and asco 3/8" valves, haven't done too much else to it yet, apart from twin 15" Zeus audio HiFonic subs, and alpine 6.5" splits in both the front and back doors. Next mod planned is a prelude manual box to make it a bit more fun to drive.

164078_1463368758888_1673568796_856141_3272763_n.jpg

P.S. I know it's not everyones cup but of tea but hating gets you no-where.

floody

Wheel size expert
Car looks good toff, are you going to do a clearcoat?

I don't reckon the rims are 8s and 9s if those are 205s...More likely 7s and 8s - which would measure approx 8" and 9" wide across the outside. Rim width is from bead seat to bead seat, not lip to lip.