Project Car / Motorbike thread. Let's see 'em.

norco01

Likes Dirt
Right, well!

Get my p's in a few weeks and picking up my first car on saturday. MY02 subaru liberty 2.5L.

Anyone suggest first mods? I've heard sway bars aren't a bad idea, same with a CAI/pod.

suggestions?

Mattydv

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Right, well!

Get my p's in a few weeks and picking up my first car on saturday. MY02 subaru liberty 2.5L.

Anyone suggest first mods? I've heard sway bars aren't a bad idea, same with a CAI/pod.

suggestions?
Well what do you want out of your car? There's not much point in upgrading before you even know what it's like.

norco01

Likes Dirt
Well what do you want out of your car? There's not much point in upgrading before you even know what it's like.
a couple easy KW's if possible. I've heard that with a CAI and exhaust they can be known to get to 140kw, but im not really sure on the plausability of that as they sit at 115kw stock.

Im not the most educated kid when it comes to kw/hp gains from small mods such as cold air or exhaust, but 25kw seems a bit steep for something that can be done relatively cheaply.

Also, can someone recomend the best place to buy a double DIN head unit? as the liberty comes stock with it, and id really like an aux input.

Steve-0

Likes Bikes and Dirt
IMO, Don't bother trying to pull power out of a car while your on your P's.
Do a New air filter, wheels and maybe an exhuast then just pile as much money as you please into the suspension+stereo.

Will be a hell of alot of more fun to drive!!

Anyone got any ideas for a project car around $6k? I like Skyline R32 GTS, and 180's but its so damn hard to find a clean one... $6k needs to buy a rego'd roadworthy car.

Futile

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Do a New air filter, wheels and maybe an exhuast then just pile as much money as you please into the suspension+stereo.

Anyone got any ideas for a project car around $6k? I like Skyline R32 GTS, and 180's but its so damn hard to find a clean one... $6k needs to buy a rego'd roadworthy car.
Starlet GT?

Mattydv

Likes Bikes and Dirt
a couple easy KW's if possible. I've heard that with a CAI and exhaust they can be known to get to 140kw, but im not really sure on the plausability of that as they sit at 115kw stock.

Im not the most educated kid when it comes to kw/hp gains from small mods such as cold air or exhaust, but 25kw seems a bit steep for something that can be done relatively cheaply.
Yeah, as much as you won't want to hear this (I know I never did!), Steve-O's advice is pretty spot on. If you've got the extra cash, throw it at the engine, but I think that putting it towards some aesthetics and sound is the way to go while you're still on your p's. When I was driving I found that I had a hell of a lot more fun driving a car that sounded amazing than one that did 0-100 in a decent time. Besides, great sound you can ALWAYS use. Great speed is limited to certain area's and times.

However if you are absolutely set on the engine, you'll have to ask the other guys for some cheap performance boosters sorry.

+1

norco01

Likes Dirt
Rational thinking has lead me to agree with what you guys have said, however im still going to give a DIY cold air intake a go as their cheap and some basic engine work does sound fun.

My other question though, where to buy a double DIN head unit? JB hifi only has one, same with supercheap. Anywhere else i can try?

Ziggy

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Rational thinking has lead me to agree with what you guys have said, however im still going to give a DIY cold air intake a go as their cheap and some basic engine work does sound fun.

My other question though, where to buy a double DIN head unit? JB hifi only has one, same with supercheap. Anywhere else i can try?
You'd be hard pressed getting 25bhp @ the wheels from a CAI and exhaust. Definately spend a few on suspension and general handling. Quick and simple idea if/when you replace your intake with the cai, give your throttle body a good clean with some carby cleaner. If by those places only having one as in, one model to chose from which doesn't fit your car, just get them to order you one in. I asked autobahn and they were able to grab a double din for cost price from an OEM distributor.

Thermostats leaking again, i love life.... :(

Also consider where exactly you want your pod to sit and wether it could cause any hydro locking. Im still on the fence about a cai because of this.

Last edited:

norco01

Likes Dirt
Also consider where exactly you want your pod to sit and wether it could cause any hydro locking. Im still on the fence about a cai because of this.
Hydro locking was a concern. though i figured if there is say close to a 90ish degree angle, it would be hard for water to find its way up to the engine. Ill do a fair bit more research first, thats for sure

Ziggy

Likes Bikes and Dirt

Hydro locking was a concern. though i figured if there is say close to a 90ish degree angle, it would be hard for water to find its way up to the engine. Ill do a fair bit more research first, thats for sure
Not so much water being thrown up from the ground at speeds, but still water and large puddles that worried me. Where i park at work is prone to flooding when it rains heavily and if that ever happened and my car was partly submerged, i'd be up shit creek. But maybe im an indecisive baby and just need to grab one instead of sitting around deliberating it.

On that note, any stories with CAI's guys? Good/bad?

Drew.

Eats Squid
On that note, any stories with CAI's guys? Good/bad?
CAIs are a waste of time. No point, really. You can get them to make a cool sucking noise, but power gains, even when your ECU is mapped and accounted for, they just don't do anything. Ive heard of people paying $600 for CAIs and just said "yeah, didn't notice any difference, but it makes a cool noise!". Good for Dyno warriors who count every kilowatt i guess...

AngoXC

Wheel size expert
Right, well!

What 'spec'? RX? GX?

I know when I got my Forester, I spent a bit of time on Yahoo auctions/Import Monster replacing various bits of warn/scratched trim that were of particular annoyance to me :mad:

I'd be seeing how the car goes also before you splash out on mods. A close friend of mine just bought a Liberty RX in QLD and drove it back here to Melbourne, only to be slogged with some hefty rear strut repairs following a RWC miscommunication between states.

Although generally second hand cars are alright, there are always costs one generally doesn't anticipate.

As for CAIs, performance improvement is pretty minimal in an NA engine. If anything, you may find some improvement at mid-higher revs.

Last edited:

norco01

Likes Dirt
What 'spec'? RX? GX?

snip..
RX spec. It's only had one owner, never crashed and has had an racq check done on it, so it should be sweet for a while. serviced regularly etc. uncle used to be a car dealer so we're pretty certain its in good nick. And for $10 flat, its priced bloody good as well

AngoXC

Wheel size expert
RX spec. It's only had one owner, never crashed and has had an racq check done on it, so it should be sweet for a while. serviced regularly etc. uncle used to be a car dealer so we're pretty certain its in good nick. And for $10 flat, its priced bloody good as well
Awesome. My biggest complaint with the stereo is that any after market head unit would really look out of place, especially given all the electronic climate controls etc directly above and the likes. I've retained the unit in my forester for the same reason but rarely listen to music anyways so the ol' cassette connector works fine for me. You could always track down a storage slot thing and combine that with a single DIN head unit if there were no doubles that stood out to you.

Another friend of mine recently wired in a permanent AUX into stock Radio/Cassette deck in his Pulsar - curious to see whether we we could do it to the Lib also -just trying to track down a decent circuit diagram of the CD player etc but most are in Japanese! Would certainly save the $$$ for a new unit, plus retain the aesthetics of what is already not a bad looking CD player (assuming you have the same as his).

If it doesn't have any already, get yourself a good set of floor mats as Subaru carpet seems to wear very quickly.