Project Car / Motorbike thread. Let's see 'em.

Fixie God

Likes Dirt
OK, cool I just hate seeing people replacing shit for no reason.
I came acroos a nice guide on Just Commos on how to replace the stater motor, I did also find you can buy a Hi Torque stater for only a few more dollars than your quote, may be a wise option if you want to keep/modify your beast.
Hmm. I'll have a look, cause I made myself an account on there for these kind of occasions although everyone on there seems a bit arse-ish.

I just wanna get this starter motor thing over and done with. bump starting this beast is not easy. I live at the bottom of a hill :( plus the starter motor is a bitch to get to anyways.

Breaka

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Haha! It's always so entertaining when those idiots (yes i am speaking about the general commodore population) rock up next to you and think they're all that with their big (and aweful) sounding V8s in the junkheap of a car with big sick wheels and subs blairing and think they have all that on you. Very entertaining to blow them off. :eek:
Given quite a few ricers a scare at the traffic light sprints, the latest being my mates corolla sportivo :) Damn, the bloke wouldn't shut up for months about how quick the sportivo's are and how it would kill the old 5 litres.
They have decent torque, too, in what is a light little car, which is great for scaring ricers and Holden drivers at the lights.
Blah blah, expeno euro and v8 boxes. I can do it too in my shitbox stanza.

And besides it's the hills that count.

blackjack

Likes Bikes and Dirt
been droping in and having a look at this thread every now and then for a while now. so i thought i might throw my ute into the mix. nothing special, but i like it all the same.

hj75 landcruiser ute. i bought it stock as a rock from an old farmer as in this picture.

did a two inch lift and wacked a set of 33 inch bf all terrains on it.

then recently i went out about bought myself arb air lockers and compresser. new wheels and a set of 35 inch cooper st. now i need to put another two inch lift in it because my tires are scrubbing really bad. its probally coming off the road in a month or so. new paint job coming, and hopefully a holden 5 litre dropping into it.

VW NUT

Likes Bikes and Dirt
ANYTHING can be made quick with a decent of money thrown at it... Even VW's...
No offence to the VW guys ;) hehehee
I have respect for anything with decent engineering, whether its a 4stroke, 2stroke, rotor, V8 or lawnmower. But 95% of the modified car owning population ARE NOT motor enthusiasts. I don't waste my time with them. I get alot more enjoyment talking to a guy with a bucket of crap who shortened his own diff or made his own brake setup than some kid with a 500hp VL he bought from a shop that cant tell me what cam timing he runs.

Thats me though. I'm pretty blunt these days!! I have all the time in the world for enthusiasts and none for people who "buy" cars.

Mark :)
Hhahahhaahah I forget you mentioned VW's.

But I am with you, I was at the car wash the other day and noticed a bloke had a Vortex blower sticker on the back window of his VS. I asked him did it go hard with the super charger? Got a reply of "Oh yeah alrite, wheels spins in second" (Cool so does my Golf) but anyways find out he hasnt done a thing on it and then he proceed's to tell me that I need to get a real car and stop bothering him.

Shit mate I think I got a tad more credit than you. Raced karts since I was 8, done motokharna's at 12. Turning 16 it was sprints and hill climbs and now getting more serious. If I had more cash flow id be running every sencond weekend.

But as many have said as long as you love it and gte involved that what its all about.

And I too wouldnt mind owning a VL turbo. Just need to wait another 3 years till I can drive it. (No turbo's petrol/gas cars and P-plates in VIC)

wespelarno

Likes Dirt
Hhahahhaahah I forget you mentioned VW's.

But I am with you, I was at the car wash the other day and noticed a bloke had a Vortex blower sticker on the back window of his VS. I asked him did it go hard with the super charger? Got a reply of "Oh yeah alrite, wheels spins in second" (Cool so does my Golf) but anyways find out he hasnt done a thing on it and then he proceed's to tell me that I need to get a real car and stop bothering him.
I've seen beetles with a porsche engine dropped in. Apparently it is a relatively easy swap, and makes the beetle haul ass.

brisneyland

Likes Dirt
I've seen beetles with a porsche engine dropped in. Apparently it is a relatively easy swap, and makes the beetle haul ass.
There's better ways of spending engineering time/money making a beetle go fast. The length of the Porsche engine necessitates bodywork and you'd really want an aircooled donk for weight/plumbing reasons - the power increase just isn't that impressive for an old aircooled Porsche donk.

WRX engines are done occasionally, but the weight/plumbing/radiator issues still aren't fun. Good power though.

I reckon the way to go is a big, well built turbo Type IV motor - the ones out of the Kombi. They can be punched out to over 3 litres and one guy is running ~10 seconds in a full steel bodied street registered dub with one.

It's what I'd like to do to my beetle one day.

fairy1

Banned
There's better ways of spending engineering time/money making a beetle go fast. The length of the Porsche engine necessitates bodywork and you'd really want an aircooled donk for weight/plumbing reasons - the power increase just isn't that impressive for an old aircooled Porsche donk.

WRX engines are done occasionally, but the weight/plumbing/radiator issues still aren't fun. Good power though.

I reckon the way to go is a big, well built turbo Type IV motor - the ones out of the Kombi. They can be punched out to over 3 litres and one guy is running ~10 seconds in a full steel bodied street registered dub with one.

It's what I'd like to do to my beetle one day.
At the Mattara hillclimb that is held in newcastle air cooled Beetles were getting higher first straight speeds than modded Evos running anti lag, they just squat and go. This is the best vid of the track-http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_SqJe2EX_5M&feature=related

Ziggy

Likes Bikes and Dirt
At some point this year (hopefully soon) ill be looking at replacing my current car. I've been on every car site i could find looking at classified adds and im still very keen on 2 cars. Either a BA XR6 ute or a Golf. These to me are on two different sides of the pond and im having trouble making any sort of decision. Granted it isn't decision making time right now but i like to dream. Going price for golfs (4th gen) seem to be an average of about $12k with around 100 on the clock and xr6's ranging from anywhere between $12k-$18k with upwards of 200 on the clock.

Has anybody had any experience with either?

Ivan

Eats Squid
At some point this year (hopefully soon) ill be looking at replacing my current car. I've been on every car site i could find looking at classified adds and im still very keen on 2 cars. Either a BA XR6 ute or a Golf. These to me are on two different sides of the pond and im having trouble making any sort of decision. Granted it isn't decision making time right now but i like to dream. Going price for golfs (4th gen) seem to be an average of about $12k with around 100 on the clock and xr6's ranging from anywhere between $12k-$18k with upwards of 200 on the clock.

Has anybody had any experience with either?
I had a BA XR6T ute, and really liked it. One thing I will say though, if your no good at reverse parking, forget about it and go for the Golf. Like most utes, the BA is wide, long and has a poor turning circle. I always found it easier to back it into a carpark than go in forwards.

FYI I sold my fully optioned turbo for $19K a year ago with 120,000 km's and it was in very schmik condition. It was a buyers market then and I believe it still is now.

Venciferus

Likes Dirt
Breaka said:
In other news, sold the 3S keto. Sad to see it go but it's gone to someone more deserving. Really hope to see the weapon around.
Finally! Nice one man, seemed like it was up on DC for a while though. What are your car related plans now?

brisneyland

Likes Dirt
Anyone using Rev for iPhone?

Really want to try this in the excel for racing telemetry... Would be fuggin awesome so see and compare braking points, gear changes, entry and exit speeds etc overlayed on a GPS map.

Daver

Kung Fu Panda
Quite possibly could be me, Master of Reality....
That is quite a fine specimen of a car. What number is it? Running a golf tee in the exhaust?

ANYTHING can be made quick with a decent of money thrown at it... Even VW's...
No offence to the VW guys ;) hehehee
I have respect for anything with decent engineering, whether its a 4stroke, 2stroke, rotor, V8 or lawnmower. But 95% of the modified car owning population ARE NOT motor enthusiasts. I don't waste my time with them. I get alot more enjoyment talking to a guy with a bucket of crap who shortened his own diff or made his own brake setup than some kid with a 500hp VL he bought from a shop that cant tell me what cam timing he runs.

Thats me though. I'm pretty blunt these days!! I have all the time in the world for enthusiasts and none for people who "buy" cars.

Mark :)
I can see your point, but I know very few enthusiasts who would know what cam timing they run, including Dakar mechanics and circuit racers.

Ziggy

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I had a BA XR6T ute, and really liked it. One thing I will say though, if your no good at reverse parking, forget about it and go for the Golf. Like most utes, the BA is wide, long and has a poor turning circle. I always found it easier to back it into a carpark than go in forwards.

FYI I sold my fully optioned turbo for $19K a year ago with 120,000 km's and it was in very schmik condition. It was a buyers market then and I believe it still is now.
Yeh i wasn't expecting it to be very nimble. I was just after an N/A XR6. Power output is a bit of a deciding factor. From memory MK4 golfs put out a max of about 90kw where as the XR6 puts out about 180kw. I just don't know how much lighter the golfs are. Im assuming the xr6's would weigh upwards of 2tonne. Uhhhh let me check.....

Right so 1.7-ish tonnes for an XR6 annnnd Golfs seem to be about 1.3tonne. Was their any other noticeable suck-ass features of the XR6T? 5 speed manuals seem to be far and few between...