Project Car / Motorbike thread. Let's see 'em.

skivi

Likes Dirt
devastated.

my XR has failed it's roadworthy test because the disk rotors are a few fractions of a mm thin and the stock exhaust on the bike has the baffle removed and that makes it too loud by default.

i'm up for $400 for 2 new disks, 4 new pads and to have them fitted. i'm looking now for a baffle and their like $125 new but i'm only going to take it out once the test is over so I'll try and find one i can borrow off someone generous.

i thought i'd be riding this weekend. not any more. while typing this Harley's ride past my house with straight pipes and led indicators the size of peas.

fuck you Vic Roads my bike is safe.

mlsred

Likes Dirt
devastated.

my XR has failed it's roadworthy test because the disk rotors are a few fractions of a mm thin and the stock exhaust on the bike has the baffle removed and that makes it too loud by default.

i'm up for $400 for 2 new disks, 4 new pads and to have them fitted. i'm looking now for a baffle and their like $125 new but i'm only going to take it out once the test is over so I'll try and find one i can borrow off someone generous.

i thought i'd be riding this weekend. not any more. while typing this Harley's ride past my house with straight pipes and led indicators the size of peas.

fuck you Vic Roads my bike is safe.
Chuck the bike on a trailer and go to your wreckers for the right parts, after that swing past mine and we'l get you riding :) pm me if you like

bradleyR513

Likes Dirt
^^

Please do not pay for someone else's labor to put on discs and brake pads. It cannot be any easier to do, and they will charge you a bomb.

Also, I think you are very unlucky to get done for discs that are too small, and your bike being too loud without a baffle. NSW is much easier to get your bike roadworthy. We have 3 mechanics that we know that will pass our bikes without testing it, and just fill in the paperwork. All I can say is, you're very unlucky!!

Ivan

Eats Squid
Skivi,

Do you know anyone else with an XR that you can swap the disc's off for rego inspection?

I feel your pain. I tried to get a RWC for an FZR600 once and was told that all three discs failed and I needed new ones. I stupidly bought them new. If I remember right it was $320 for each front disc and $260 for the rear. $900 blown on discs:mad:

mitchy-b

Likes Dirt
hey lads i have a ba xr6 mk II
i been looking at a cat back exhaust thats worth 270 without tips, a guy i know rang me (he has the exhaust) and said his selling his car and putting the stock exhaust back on, so he offered me the cat back with tips for 200, is it alright to buy second hand exhausts? anythin i should look out for?
thanks mb

skivi

Likes Dirt
i'm really not sure what to do.

1X disk with pads is $150 so $300 on parts & i figure an hours labour or less to fit them, i'd do it myself but i don't own a torque wrench yet and i'm so fucked for space to work on my bikes it's a joke, i don't even have a work stand yet.

i figure i'll be needing new disks soon anyway so maybe i should just suck it up and get 'em on now then when they get thin pop these non RWC ones on as i reckon they still have a bit of life in them if they're only just non legal.

i'll ring Honda and get a quote for a stock baffle, then try the wreckers and see if they have some still legal size disks while i'm at it.

i know a guy with a XR250L stock exhaust but it's different from the 'R' model i have so i'd have to make a bracket to mount it he says but my metal work skills, tools & materials are non existent.

i need the bike on the road in a week and a half because i'm going to Tassie.

sawtell

The Great White Rooks Hunter
hey lads i have a ba xr6 mk II
i been looking at a cat back exhaust thats worth 270 without tips, a guy i know rang me (he has the exhaust) and said his selling his car and putting the stock exhaust back on, so he offered me the cat back with tips for 200, is it alright to buy second hand exhausts? anythin i should look out for?
thanks mb

nothing really wrong with second hand exhaust's, ask if you can hear it with it on the car, and rev the engine, listen for any weird noises, like rattles, tings and tangs from inside the muffler.

external rust etc obvioulsy.

as long as he hasnt been launching boats, in his car, a car of that age, youd assume the exhaust is going to be in pretty good nick.

mitchy-b

Likes Dirt
yeah man ive heard the exhaust and its mint, yeah i'll check it for rust and shit, plus his only had it on for less then 2 months, and it doesnt have a towbar so i doubt its been near water. thanks for that man!

floody

Wheel size expert
3 litre diesel 1990s-00s shape Hiace any good? What are they like on the highway? Anyone?

I spent some time driving a 2.8 diesel Hilux which was a gutless piece of shit... But I'm considering trying a trade on my R31 wagon toward a Hiace thats advertised here.

skivi

Likes Dirt
i found a baffle for $80 new, it's non Honda but road legal and just as quiet i'm assured. genuine Honda baffles are $207 :eek: at least now i'll have should should i or the next owner ever need another RWC done

I'm just gonna get the new disks/pads fitted though, thanks for the offer Steve but you're too far away and i need the bike on the road asap, lucky i'm not too poor but i am getting there now haha i work Saturday so i wont see you at the island unfortunately. oh well, let me know if theres any BSA rallys or swap meets coming up, dad and i are always keen.

skivi

Likes Dirt
its beautiful, really beautiful!
not to my eyes but big kudos to the bold brain behind it's conception and fabrication.

i know not everyone likes the Aprilia twins but i personally think Audibly they destroy any dry-clutch rattley Ducati twin.
hearing a RSV tear off down a country road then blip the throttle down the gears with the pop of a back fire just sends my eardrums into orgasm.

Ivan

Eats Squid
not to my eyes but big kudos to the bold brain behind it's conception and fabrication.

i know not everyone likes the Aprilia twins but i personally think Audibly they destroy any dry-clutch rattley Ducati twin.
hearing a RSV tear off down a country road then blip the throttle down the gears with the pop of a back fire just sends my eardrums into orgasm.
The best sounding V Twins I have heard are the Suzuki TLR100 and the air cooled Ducati 900ss from the late nineties. The Suzuki is supposed to be a real handful on the road too:D

Arete

Likes Dirt

donthucktoflat

Eats Squid
so just found out a mate is transplanting a 2gr out of an aurion into his sprinter. thats all can say for now but anyone who follows aussie drifting will soon know

beno

Cycle Solutions
3 litre diesel 1990s-00s shape Hiace any good? What are they like on the highway? Anyone?

I spent some time driving a 2.8 diesel Hilux which was a gutless piece of shit... But I'm considering trying a trade on my R31 wagon toward a Hiace thats advertised here.
If its just about any diesel without a turbo you aint going no where quickly! My mate also had a 2.8 lux, what a bucket!

Pete_10

Likes Bikes and Dirt

My mates have hiluxs one being a 2.8 and the other a 3 litre. Both gutless. Turbo required.