Post Your XC Machine

geoff_tewierik

Likes Dirt

Ky1e

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Mine in Medium was at 12.43kg last time I weighed it. http://www.rotorburn.com/forums/showthread.php?253188-XC-Pivot-429-Carbon, scroll down for current build.

It's hard to knock weight out of them as there's so much extra in the overbuilt frame, but yours should be lighter than mine once you go tubeless with some better tires as you're on Crest rims.
Will admit, I used bathroom scales and zeroed my bodyweight.. so possibly inaccurate..
Wheels are also being swapped out to ArchEX with maxxis ardent/crossmark tyres, They're in the garage and I just need the 142mm axle to fit in the rear hub and the crests are gone! I'm not that fussed about the overall weight, I'm 95kegs myself, but it would be nice to drop a little off the bike.

This thing really is built well, frame_so_stiff :D

Will get a true climbing test on Thursday.. 1000m vert across 11km distance.. Pain imminent!

mmatrix

Likes Dirt
pic of stem

After 4 months of of Ownership plus 6 weeks off riding with a broken Rib could not be happier getting back on the Czar.
Have now set up to race but just enjoy riding it everywhere. We have been together at Buller Bright and South Oz for the National series and didn't quite have the set up dialled until i had a bit of time off work and time tweaking it at home. I started writing down all the set ups and changing them ever so slightly.

It has taken 4 to six goes to get the rear shock sorted as a very small change in air pressure makes a big difference but now i have it sorted i can't believe how good the DW link system it. On descents the Czar seems to perform more like a 120 travel bike as can soak up big hits with ease. very easy bike to ride and great climber.
Also as it a size med and i have a long body compared to legs i have put on a 100ml neg 16 stem that gets my body lower over the front. this has made a huge difference for me getting it to corner better.

I would def recommend this bike to guys that want to race and still want to ride on the weekend with mates. I hVE ridden a lot of 29ers over the last six months and pretty pleased with the decision . My 2nd choice would be either a pivot 429 which i found a little more trail bike and less race bike or a trek Sfly. The Czar seems to be a bit stronger and more solid than the Sfly AND i think will last longer.

only regret is maybe not going 1 x 11 as it would be another 600- 700 grams lighter but as shimano has served me well in the past I stuck with them.

Build. purchased the XT build then Sold the dt 350 wheels that came with the bike, as i had some light bike race wheels from my HT.

Czar med frame .
Fox ctd 100ml fork with the 52 mm front offset.
XT drive 10 x 3
thompson road stem neg 16 100ml
ENVE bar (was part of the XT build )
#3t set back seat post 27.9 with spacer ( this set up from my HTail and the thinner seat post dose work better IMHO)
light bike carbon china rims (All MTN . a bit wider than the XC and only 20 grams heavier )
DT 240 hubs.
cranky pedals
had a question about the stem and the weight.
the pic is a bit tilted, even though the stem is neg 16 degrees, it looks much less slammed than in this photo.
Weight with an XTR rear Cassette, XTR brakes, race tyres (RR non snakeskin and Ikon rear ) and without pedals is about 10.7- 10.8 weighed it during build.

with an xx 1 drive chain prob would be around 10.2 - 10.3

Attachments

Last edited:

Ky1e

Likes Bikes and Dirt
#justalittleslammed lol!

Cut the steerer down on the pivot yesterday too.. Looks much better and my nuts are already showing signs of happiness! While I was at it I ordered a promountbillet stem mount for my garmin too.. Good little mod

mmatrix

Likes Dirt
sort of slammed then

#justalittleslammed lol!

Cut the steerer down on the pivot yesterday too.. Looks much better and my nuts are already showing signs of happiness! While I was at it I ordered a promountbillet stem mount for my garmin too.. Good little mod
yep. got me there. the bar is still slightly too high compared to my HT .

vtwiz

Likes Dirt
Yeah, distributors need to get their sh*t together when it comes to colour co-ordination...
The bike comes with the red headset as standard????

And as for the blue pivots on a green frame, don't they know that 'blue and green should never be seen'? ;-P

The folk over at Pivot are obviously colour blind!

Last edited:

vtwiz

Likes Dirt
Well my dad's green one came with a blue headset! So go figure...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Looks like Pivot ran out of Blue ones and stuck on whatever they had left. Pretty poor form really. I'd go back and ask for a blue one, free of course!

jp80

Likes Bikes
Kish hardtail

14285195398_8b43904235_z.jpg
Frame: Kish custom Ti
Fork: Reba RLT
Headset: Chris King inset
Crankset: Middleburn RS7 w Race Face WN 32t
Bottom Bracket: White Industries Stainless
Front Deraillieur: NA
Rear Deraillieur: XT shadow +
Cassette: Shimano XT 11-34
Chain: SRAM 1090 Hollowpin
Shifter: XT i spec
Brakes: XT
Handlebars: Salsa moto ace
Stem: Thomson X4 10deg 110mm
Grips: ESI chunky
Seatpost: KS LEV 150mm
Saddle: WTB Shadow V
Wheels: Hope Pro2 Evo to Crest
Tyres: Maxxis Crossmark rear/Ardent Race front
Pedals: Shimano XT
Weight unknown

This is usually singlespeed but put some gears on for a couple of months. It was fun, but I wasn't riding as hard so its back to SS now. Happy to have this pic though.

Last edited:

Winno

Likes Dirt
My On-One Whippet.
Had it for a while (6mths or so) and been commuting on it every week day.
This weekend saw its first off-road ride at Nerang Forest.

It runs a mix of Shimano XTR, Hope, and Raceface turbine/Next gear with Spinergy Xyclone wheels.
I'm a little old school so the fork has a straight steerer, the rings are triples, and the wheels are 26" and have tubes in them.
The fork is On-one's monocoque UD carbon and although I've loved rigid forks for the likes of Daisy Hill and Gap Creek, I'm feeling a little beat up after Nerang's rock gardens (even with 28psi in 2.35" Conti bags) so I'm about to spring for a DT Swiss twin shot XRM or XRC 100.

With the new fork, total weight will be about 9kg.

Last edited:

Warwick

Likes Dirt
My On-One Whippet.
Had it for a while (6mths or so) and been commuting on it every week day.
This weekend saw its first off-road ride at Nerang Forest.

It runs a mix of Shimano XTR, Hope, and Raceface turbine/Next gear with Spinergy Xyclone wheels.
I'm a little old school so the fork has a straight steerer, the rings are triples, and the wheels are 26" and have tubes in them.
The fork is On-one's monocoque UD carbon and although I've loved rigid forks for the likes of Daisy Hill and Gap Creek, I'm feeling a little beat up after Nerang's rock gardens (even with 28psi in 2.35" Conti bags) so I'm about to spring for a DT Swiss twin shot XRM or XRC 100.

With the new fork, total weight will be about 9kg.
I have XRC100's and Sids. Buy Sids, even if they are a bit heavier. The DT Swiss Forks flex a lot and are nowhere near as plush.

Winno

Likes Dirt
Yeah, been reading they're a little flexy. I hate that in a fork. I was considering SIDs as I've used RS on a Santa Cruz before.
I've read that they're also a bit flexy too, although not as much as DTs.

After a bit of research, it looks like I'll be going for a Magura TS8 100mm fork with the double arch. Rated as one of the stiffest forks out. I realize it's probably not RS or Fox plush but anything is plush after coming off full rigid.
It's super light and they're not too expensive.

Big JD

Wheel size expert
View attachment 293130
Frame: Kish custom Ti
Fork: Reba RLT
Headset: Chris King inset
Crankset: Middleburn RS7 w Race Face WN 32t
Bottom Bracket: White Industries Stainless
Front Deraillieur: NA
Rear Deraillieur: XT shadow +
Cassette: Shimano XT 11-34
Chain: SRAM 1090 Hollowpin
Shifter: XT i spec
Brakes: XT
Handlebars: Salsa moto ace
Stem: Thomson X4 10deg 110mm
Grips: ESI chunky
Seatpost: KS LEV 150mm
Saddle: WTB Shadow V
Wheels: Hope Pro2 Evo to Crest
Tyres: Maxxis Crossmark rear/Ardent Race front
Pedals: Shimano XT
Weight unknown

This is usually singlespeed but put some gears on for a couple of months. It was fun, but I wasn't riding as hard so its back to SS now. Happy to have this pic though.
wow - stunning. Love the classic lines and the fact it is sporting a dropper post.

Nick Njegac

Likes Bikes
p4pb10933528.jpg
Heres my XC steed
Frame: Cube Reaction GTC 2011 26"
Fork: Specialized S90 26"
Derailleur Front: Shimano Deore XT
Rear: Sram XO Type 2
Cranks: Rotor Agilis 2x10 40-28
Shifters: Sram XO Gripshift 2x10
Cassette: Sram XX 11-36
Hubs: Hope Pro 2 Evo
Rims: Ozriders 27.5 32H
Tires: F: Rocket Ron 2.1 R: Vee Rubber Mission 2.1 (Both Tubeless
Brakes: Shimano XT
Stem: Easton EA90
Handlebar: Easton EC70
Seatpost: Easton EA50
Saddle: Prologo Nago Evo
Grips: Ozriders Foam grips

Yes, I run 27.5 on 26 frame and forks and I've had no problems. I've ridden the same frame with 26 wheels and the 27.5 make it so much more lively.
Currently weighs in at 9.7kg, only pic I could find

Last edited: