Plastic bags, climate change, renewable energy,

Squidfayce

Eats Squid
It is uncommon, I can't find any of the videos or stories on this except the couple of times it happened to old mate Jordan.
You can start here lol. There's a database;)
https://www.thefire.org/research-learn/campus-disinvitation-database. Should be able to source videos related to the relevant incidents

What a weird thing to say. Of course they have heard his arguments, that's why they are showing up to blast him. He got blasted for refusing to use people's preferred pronouns. Why does this hurt conservative christians so much? It's weak. It deserves a protest.
Nah. They may have head him speak about one topic and formed a view and decided that they didn't want to hear or let anyone else hear those or any other view he haS.

And this just proves the point. He kicked up a fuss about the Canadian government making it law to use chosen pronouns or risk a discrimination charge at best or a hate crime at worst depending on the interpretation of the law at the time. His argument is that with litterally tens or more of made up pronouns, I makes compelling people to use those pronouns a pretty stupid thing to do. You'll find the guy has no issue using somones chosen pronoun if requested to do so, but is fundamentally against enshrining a law that says you're discriminating against somonone if you don't. There's already anti discrimination and human right law that protect people based around sexual orientation political leaning, gender etc. The argument around adding pronouns to the mix is a fair one to have.

You want to be called whatever. Sure. But to be compelled by law to recognise something like xe, sin, co etc ...well, now...

Where's the protections if you accidentally misgender as xe for a sin, or somone who is fluid and can decide that no, today they are a he, not a she? It's a little much to enshrine this into law as a separate provision.

The guy also has strong views on gender reasignment of children as young as 6 (not saying they do surgery, but all the precursors to it, hormones etc). That's pretty sensible. Theres clinic's in the US helping kids who litterally can't consent to anything, make life altering choices based on a parents say so. Some of the stuff were seeing now is these kids reaching adulthood not realising that these activities made them sterile, or aren't actually trans. There a really good blog written by one of the nurses at one of these clinics and it's heartbreaking to read the 6 years she worked there.

So like I said he's got some shitty views. I don't like his stuff about traditional home/marriage/nuclear family views. His refusal in pronouns is borderline, but a fair argument. 100% don't think parents should be making gender choices for their kids or letting their kids make medical decisions that's scar them for life untill the kid understands the consequences (16-17?).

So hence why I find it interesting to listen to these people. Because listening to them doesn't mean you agree, but hearing a perspective helps you either challenge or reaffirm your own. Airhorns do none of that.

Seriously, the guy has a huge academic background and his ideas on gender politics is litterally less than 100th of the stuff he could talk about. something you realise when you take the time. Whether you do, couldn't care less, but it does make you look ignorant to those that did take the time.

Tubbsy

Packin' a small bird
Staff member
So like I said he's got some shitty views. I don't like his stuff about traditional home/marriage/nuclear family views. His refusal in pronouns is borderline
I first learned about the guy through that stuff (the meat book thing really was for the lols), which is what seems to have made him popular with the MRA/Incel crowd. Had a peruse of it and wasn't impressed. The pronoun thing doesn't come naturally to me, but as far as I'm concerned if somebody wants to be addressed in a particular way I'll do my best to get it right. No reasonable person on either side of the exchange will begrudge it taking some time.

He kicked up a fuss about the Canadian government making it law to use chosen pronouns or risk a discrimination charge at best or a hate crime at worst depending on the interpretation of the law at the time.
Some very quick research says C-16 didn't make using the wrong pronouns illegal. Rather, repeated and/or intentional misgendering could already constitute harassment pursuant to human rights and employment law prior to Bill C-16, which only concerns a few areas like banking and air travel. Again this very much sounds like a reasonable person on either side is unlikely to find themselves in this situation

So it's bordering on a bad faith argument imo

The guy also has strong views on gender reasignment of children as young as 6 (not saying they do surgery, but all the precursors to it, hormones etc). That's pretty sensible. Theres clinic's in the US helping kids who litterally can't consent to anything, make life altering choices based on a parents say so. Some of the stuff were seeing now is these kids reaching adulthood not realising that these activities made them sterile, or aren't actually trans.
I haven't researched this, but would be very very surprised if this is a widespread problem, casually entered into with minimal oversight. As far as I'm aware Peterson isn't medically qualified or an expert on the topic, and I'd certainly be looking to those people for an opinion first. If there is some un-biased fact-checked source of information on the topic I would be interested to see it.

As an aside, I find the massive anti-trans thing going on at the moment really unsavoury. Clearly about as vulnerable a group as you'll find in society, with everyone taking the opportunity to get their oar in.

Seriously, the guy has a huge academic background and his ideas on gender politics is litterally less than 100th of the stuff he could talk about. something you realise when you take the time. Whether you do, couldn't care less, but it does make you look ignorant to those that did take the time.
Maybe he does have a range of interesting and well informed views on some of the other 99% of topics. But when I've been served a plate of clickbaity fish that doesn't smell very nice, there isn't a huge incentive to dig through the carcass to find the good bits. In this case, 'ignorance' really will be bliss.

leitch

Feelin' a bit rrranty
This is like the Andrew Tate is good for fitness tips argument. Petersen is a complete fucking gronk. He might have a "huge academic background" but the fact that he spouts the shit he does means no-one gives a fuck. It's not disingenuous or ignorant, it's just that he doesn't have a right to a platform and to amplification of his bullshit views. There are literally thousands/millions of other people around the world doing valuable intellectual and academic work that goes to all of these "issues" you want to have a debate on, who aren't divisive shitcunts looking for a headline.

Sorry dude but the only person who looks ignorant in the last however many pages of this conversation is you, because you're just banging the same wokefeministcancelculturemeansmencan'tsayanythingthesedaysyou'reallsnowflakesyouneedtogetoveryourselvesandlistentowhatJPissayinghe'saprophetofourtimesevenifyoudon'tlikehowhesaysithemakesomegoodpoints BS as all the other apologists for inflammatory dickbags out there because he reinforces your own biases whether they're conscious or not.

Haakon

has an accommodating arse
This is like the Andrew Tate is good for fitness tips argument. Petersen is a complete fucking gronk. He might have a "huge academic background" but the fact that he spouts the shit he does means no-one gives a fuck. It's not disingenuous or ignorant, it's just that he doesn't have a right to a platform and to amplification of his bullshit views. There are literally thousands/millions of other people around the world doing valuable intellectual and academic work that goes to all of these "issues" you want to have a debate on, who aren't divisive shitcunts looking for a headline.

Sorry dude but the only person who looks ignorant in the last however many pages of this conversation is you, because you're just banging the same wokefeministcancelculturemeansmencan'tsayanythingthesedaysyou'reallsnowflakesyouneedtogetoveryourselvesandlistentowhatJPissayinghe'saprophetofourtimesevenifyoudon'tlikehowhesaysithemakesomegoodpoints BS as all the other apologists for inflammatory dickbags out there because he reinforces your own biases whether they're conscious or not.
Came to write something along these lines, but this is put better I probably would have.

Peterson is in it for the clicks and dollars. And the ego.... That is all. Zero credibility.

And FFS, who gives a flying fuck about pronouns...? Why the fuck do you care what someone wants to "identify" as or whatever the fuck its called. I dont care, nor should you.

Squidfayce

Eats Squid
I haven't researched this, but would be very very surprised if this is a widespread problem,

As an aside, I find the massive anti-trans thing going on at the moment really unsavoury. Clearly about as vulnerable a group as you'll find in society, with everyone taking the opportunity to get their oar in.
Agree and given how much harm is also coming from stuff like the tavistock clinic mentioned above, it makes it worse. Complex problems with complex solutions deserve some serious considerations, not giving in to the loudest voices.

Maybe he does have a range of interesting and well informed views on some of the other 99% of topics. But when I've been served a plate of clickbaity fish that doesn't smell very nice, there isn't a huge incentive to dig through the carcass to find the good bits. In this case, 'ignorance' really will be bliss.
herein lies the problems with how we treat this stuff and the basis of much of my argument. In anycase there a difference in wondering what somone like peterson is about vs somone like Andrew tate. You watch one tate video you've seen them all. And many people will watch that one click bait piece (whoever it is) and that's the guy/girl/xe forever.

Thanks at least for a considered thought on it

Last edited:

Squidfayce

Eats Squid

The shit ou refer to is littlerally the only clickbaity stuff you've seen on one or two topics. So yeah I don't think I'm ignorant here. But you do you.

Andrew tate does fitness? O thought he was all about bragging about Bugattis, bitches and forcing women to work as cam workers and scaming money of Incels.

I looked up some of his fights from when he was a kickboxer and didn't see anything there either. Bit I gave him a watch. 100% disgusted in everything he had to say.

There ARE heaps of intellectuals. Youre right. But I don't wash away one academic because they have some controversial views that span 10% of their experinece. That's a shit way to expose yourself to information any day of the week. It's how people do politics too. "Ewwww I don't like this policy, the guys a fuckwit" -Almost every Australian ever.

Haakon

That's right, neither should the law. Provisions for gender already exist
That canadian law is about discrimination and hate speech. Basically, if youre going to be chunt about it, you can be slapped for it. Same as you would be if you were a chunt to people for any other reason.

So settle down with all the "but me rights! " bullshit.

Squidfayce

Eats Squid
That canadian law is about discrimination and hate speech. Basically, if youre going to be chunt about it, you can be slapped for it. Same as you would be if you were a chunt to people for any other reason.

So settle down with all the "but me rights! " bullshit.
Aren't the existing provisions for sexual orientation, gender etc?

Haakon

Aren't the existing provisions for sexual orientation, gender etc?
Whats your point? Dont discriminate and/or be chunt about someones preferred pronoun or whatever. Clearly not making that basic idea explicit meant some turds thought it was ok to be a chunt about it. Dont be a chunt. the end.

I got that from some basic googling. I still dont really care either way and dont get why the right wing fuck knuckles have their panties in a twist over this shit. If they all stfu for a change the pronoun preferring set wouldn't feel so threatened and everyone would be happier.

Tubbsy

Packin' a small bird
Staff member
Ok so a very cursory google reveals:

Researchers at the Yale School of Medicine issued a report which described SEGM as a small group of anti-trans activists.[7] A commentary published in the journal Clinical Practice in Pediatric Psychology described them as a "discriminatory advocacy organization".[4] Joshua Safer, a spokesperson for the Endocrine Society, described them as outside the medical mainstream.[3] Aviva Stahl stated they were "pushing flawed science"[1] and Mallory Moore stated they have "ties to evangelical activists".[8][5]

Which is why I asked for non-biased and fact checked sources.

You're also still misconstruing the Canadian C-16 thing.

The problem @Squidfayce when you accuse people of being ignorant is you need some decent arguments. I am unimpressed with Peterson and I'm unimpressed with your defence of him so far.

I don't have an issue with the fact that you obviously respect him and like some of his work. So share some of the stuff that isn't contentious clickbait. It seems you largely agree with everyone's position on his work except the meat thing.