Plastic bags, climate change, renewable energy,

Oddjob

Merry fucking Xmas to you assholes
Nukes are low environmental impact then I guess? Uh huh….

If nukes were required, I would be first in line to ignore the waste problems and the eye watering cost and say bring it on.

But they’re not needed, they are high impact and very very very high cost. As I said, the cost delays actual decarbonisation…
In a carbon sense, yes. Also it's a lot easier dealing with nuclear waste in geological stable sites then widely dispersed carbon emissions.

French nuclear energy is some of the cheapest energy in Europe. The UK pays more for energy than France despite widespread adoption of offshore and onshore wind and that's forecast to rise by 50% this year. Germany, Italy et al are facing much the same problems but with the added complication of Russian gas.

Sent from my M2012K11AG using Tapatalk

Haakon

has an accommodating arse
In a carbon sense, yes. Also it's a lot easier dealing with nuclear waste in geological stable sites then widely dispersed carbon emissions.

French nuclear energy is some of the cheapest energy in Europe. The UK pays more for energy than France despite widespread adoption of offshore and onshore wind and that's forecast to rise by 50% this year. Germany, Italy et al are facing much the same problems but with the added complication of Russian gas.

French nukes are only making cheap power now because the operational costs are low. If you exclude the eye watering build cost and ignore the essentially infinite waste management cost for the next few hundred thousand years than yeah it’s cheap lol.

Oddjob

Renewables are only making cheap power now because the operational costs are low. If you exclude the eye watering build cost of new transmission networks, and the ever shrinking number of suitable sites than yeah it’s cheap lol.
FIFY

Oddjob

As for the UK, have a look at what the new Hinkley plant has cost!
Is it a third gen French reactor or 4th gen Korean reactor?

It's a bit like saying that just because Italian cars are over priced pieces of shit, ergo all cars are over priced pieces of shit.

PS if the Brits had paid for extra transmission lines from the French they could have funded three times the capacity for the same cost as Hinkley. Says more about British administrative incompetence than anything else.

Haakon

Is it a third gen French reactor or 4th gen Korean reactor?

It's a bit like saying that just because Italian cars are over priced pieces of shit, ergo all cars are pieces of shit.

It’s the latest and greatest French one I think

Squidfayce

Eats Squid
Offshore wind.
This is current state of mine traffic. Post covid, can imagine it will be bussier. Offshore wind, is it Scalable after considering consumptio patterns multiplied by population growth?

Attachments

Haakon

This is current state of mine traffic. Post covid, can imagine it will be bussier. Offshore wind, is it Scalable after considering consumptio patterns multiplied by population growth?
lol. There’s a small scale issue - ships are not that big ;)

Scotty T

Walks the walk
Nuclear has been done to death everywhere including this thread, conclusion, it's bullshit.

Pinning hopes on tech that doesn't exist (cheap, safe nuclear, pick one) is the attitude of our current government (hydrogen, ccs) and won't help us solve the issue in time. If Aussies weren't so sensitive to nuclear proliferation issues the gov would be pushing it hard I reckon.

Renewables are only making cheap power now because the operational costs are low. If you exclude the eye watering build cost of new transmission networks, and the ever shrinking number of suitable sites than yeah it’s cheap lol.
We don't have enough time to make nuclear safe and cheap, and we have all the room and technology (plus safe and cheap) required to get around the non-issues you mention.