People trying to convert us to various alternative lifestyles

mtb_ts

Likes Bikes
Is anyone here non-vego and had vego/vegan people try and convert us to their ways? Either by talking to us endlessly about it or something else?

Here's one story. I have others too.

At an outdoor event I went to this year, it came time to grab the evening meal for management, friends of management and volunteers. As we did not have any footy clubs or mobile traders setup, someone had to go for a spin into town and pick it up. Actually quite a small group as locals go home and many event participants and their partners are moteling it these days.

Anyway we sent off someone to the shops with money, she'd put her hand up for the job and seemed pretty keen, some of us [other than our dinner driver] had started getting on the turps so we were glad to have someone else go out for dinner. Management was paying, not us individually.

We'd been asked what we like, pizza, chinese etc I said either of those is good. Nothing has been mentioned about this vego thing. Anyway off she goes. We're starving by the time she gets back--since we're a good 5~10k outta town, and seeing the chinese containers surrounded by white plastic bags, I'm by now very eagerly anticipating dinner. Off come the bags, and the containers lids.

I can see tofu, and other unrecognisable objects. I then hear after that "its easier to stop in one place only rather than make more than one food stop and it turns out [reckon they might've known in advance] that they only do vegetarian". [Note: I have learnt over time there are restaurant around which supply only vegetarian/vegan foods, and that mob tends to seek them out].

The unrecognisable objects in my dinner were the fake meats. I could see the disappointment in the face of a couple of colleagues. I think at least one person in management is vego, but I'm not sure about this because at an event in a previous year I remember seeing them eat meat.

How do you handle people when their efforts to convert us to their ways go beyond merely promoting their chosen lifestyle by talking about it? I am aware some in that mob have strong objections to even giving money to "purveyors of meat" as they are seen as "purveyors of death". I'm more of a let people make their own choices but not interfere in my choices, kinda person.

In my life I've seen it at least 2-3 times. Naturally, as one who pursues an active, healthy and outdoor lifestyle I'm surprised it doesn't happen more often. But it bores me out of my head nonetheless.

Last edited:

MasterOfReality

After forever
Lol there would have been uproar if one of our collegues pulled that one at our events.

At least you know now not to send her out for the food run.

But to answer the original question, no, nobody has tried to convince me to change my ways. With my friends (several are vegans/vegetarian/whatever), I don't care how they live their life and they are mature enough to afford me the same.

moorey

call me Mia
Wheres the part about them tring to 'convert you'? Lamest outrage ever, lol
You probably decided you hated the meal before even trying it. Your loss. Enjoy your KFC, mate ;)

Norco Maniac

Is back!
So basically your complaint is that somebody fed you vegetables?

but they were *Vegan* vegetables, Spike!

seriously tho, i can't see the point of being a veggo/vegan if you then eat meat "substitutes". sounds like she hasn't thought her food choices through either...

jonny the boy

Likes Dirt
i dont really see this, ive got mates who are vego and although they make sure they have their special stuff around to eat at parties and stuff, they dont push it on everyone. its more like "oh hey if you wanna try some of this just go for it" sort of thing. i dont buy into that tofu junk but most of its pretty good. one mate especially is vego after having been a butcher for a few years, meat just makes him feel sick. but i love potatoes as much as anything and we makes the best wedges dammit

moorey

call me Mia
but they were *Vegan* vegetables, Spike!

seriously tho, i can't see the point of being a veggo/vegan if you then eat meat "substitutes". sounds like she hasn't thought her food choices through either...
Plenty of people CAN'T eat meat, or simply don't want to, but have no beef (hehe) with meaty looking products. We eat very little processed foods, but sometimes the vegie dogs and sausages sneak into out shopping basket. Its also handy for my kids, (who choose not to eat meat, but also choose to eat some stuff at parties etc with dairy or egg), to feel 'included' at BBQ's etc where every one else is knocking back snags. Also for when we have people over, who know they won't be fed meat, to have something semi-normal on their plate. Live and let live, kids :very_drunk:

Last edited:

RYDA

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Just like how lesbians shouldn't be able to use dildos - they made their choice.

Tristan23

Farkin guerilla
Just like how lesbians shouldn't be able to use dildos - they made their choice.
Hahaha gold!

My girlfriend is vegetarian but will happily cook me a steak if that's what I feel like eating and she's making dinner. Most of the time I respect her choice and will eat vegetarian though, because it has absolutely no bearing on my happiness or lack thereof.

It's all food, it's all good. I don't see why you and your whiney workmates can't put up with it for one night?

stinky1138

Likes Dirt
What's wrong with having veggies squashed into a circular shape and placed on a bun ? Keeps my pineapple rings company. Just like you eat beef in a chunk or in a burger, it's just presented in a different way.

Once had a woman i worked with say to me, "you weren't BORN a vegetarian, so why are you one NOW?!" I was actually born one, but I had never said anything to her about food or how disgusting her lunch looked to me or tried to convert her to anything, but she surely gave me a hard time for making a different choice.

thecat

NSWMTB, Central Tableland MBC
Sounds like a lot of whinging over nothing. I love my steak rare and dripping, knock the horns off wipe its arse and put it on my plate and I'm a happy man, but I probably eat more vegetarian meals than meat meals through the week. there are a lot of very awesome vege dishes

It's not going to kill you to try something different and giving it a go is more manly than having a cry on the internets about someone giving you tofu . Just saying is all

Last edited:

Shredden

Knows his goats
My whole family is vego except for me, the impression that fake meat gives me is that it is crushed up soya beans with some other shit...

steve24

Likes Bikes and Dirt
It seems everyone is trying to convert me to 10 speed, 29er, BB30, carbon, 142mmx 12....

bring it on, nothing better to with my money than be sucked into the latest bling.

willsy01

Eats Squid
You don't win friends with salad.

However......someone has put their hand up to go and get dinner for a pile of people and you think it's an attempt to convert you? Please...

Last edited:

No Skid Marks

Blue Mountain Bikes Brooklyn/Lahar/Kowa/PO1NT Raci
There's a cool mock meat restaurant in Dickson Canberra. Ulak(fcuk knows how it's spelt), all styles of meat, it's pretty amazing, and culinarily interesting. Probably not for boring meat heads but if you like to try something different, even if you are a meat lover, it's pretty cool.