People trying to convert us to various alternative lifestyles

Trigger02

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Sweeping statement there, laddergoat.

I don't plan to try to disprove your statement, so I'll let it slide with healthy skepticism.
You know what? I've not read any of the evidence either way, and if i did, it wouldn't necessarily mean a thing to me. Evidence that a meat/dairy diet is better for me isn't going to convince me to eat it, any more than 'evidence' on some alleged dangers of soy protien. Remember, I take NO suppliments of any kind, and try to rely on a balanced diet, which at times means a bit more work and consideration of what I eat, but not as much as you would think.
I don't choose to be vegan for health reasons, I choose it because I oppose the killing and mistreatment of 'animals' (in all their forms), and can live a perfectly healtly life without supporting the industry I oppose, with a clear conscience (look up 'cognitive dissonance').
I'm a pretty science minded guy, but I don't approach my diet scientifically. I don't blindly ignore advice that a vegan diet presents possible health risks, instead, I try to counter those risks.
Something will eventually kill me, maybe sooner than an omnivore diet would, maybe later. I choose to live in a way that makes me happy and content. Not better, not worse, just different that most. 'Bulking up' is the last thing from my mind, but then, i'm and old man now. Soy protien may or may not be the best choice of poison for bodybuilders...meh, you do what works for you.
I rode XC/trails from 5.30-8.30am this morning, had a shower then rode to work 15kms. I couldn't do that on my diet (or any diet), without putting good fuel in the tank. I'm fitter now than I was 20 years ago, but only because I exercise more and eat more sensibly (arguably) than I did 20 years ago, not because I'm a vegan. I only try to stay healthy and fit enough to enjoy my riding, and keep up with my kids as they grow up....and so far, i'm right on track with that goal :very_drunk:
I cannot argue with that! I may need to follow a similar diet to yours, Everyone needs more beans, lentils and all the other stuff we should be eating. I eat way too much protien products for someone who is not trying to reach 120kgs, Your diet is a very good one and you will probably outlive me that's for sure :very_drunk:. I must admit i fucking laughed out loud when i got called lader goat HAHA

Trigger02

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I'm still trying to make sense of your post in this thread about no-one stealing your bike ;)
lol yes OK It was a just little weird random rant but people are always trying to convert me also and make me live a softer life ;) DH till i die haha

ajay

^Once punched Jeff Kennett. Don't pick an e-fight
Sweeping statement there, laddergoat.

I don't plan to try to disprove your statement, so I'll let it slide with healthy skepticism.
You know what? I've not read any of the evidence either way, and if i did, it wouldn't necessarily mean a thing to me. Evidence that a meat/dairy diet is better for me isn't going to convince me to eat it, any more than 'evidence' on some alleged dangers of soy protien. Remember, I take NO suppliments of any kind, and try to rely on a balanced diet, which at times means a bit more work and consideration of what I eat, but not as much as you would think.
I don't choose to be vegan for health reasons, I choose it because I oppose the killing and mistreatment of 'animals' (in all their forms), and can live a perfectly healtly life without supporting the industry I oppose, with a clear conscience (look up 'cognitive dissonance').
I'm a pretty science minded guy, but I don't approach my diet scientifically. I don't blindly ignore advice that a vegan diet presents possible health risks, instead, I try to counter those risks.
Something will eventually kill me, maybe sooner than an omnivore diet would, maybe later. I choose to live in a way that makes me happy and content. Not better, not worse, just different that most. 'Bulking up' is the last thing from my mind, but then, i'm and old man now. Soy protien may or may not be the best choice of poison for bodybuilders...meh, you do what works for you.
I rode XC/trails from 5.30-8.30am this morning, had a shower then rode to work 15kms. I couldn't do that on my diet (or any diet), without putting good fuel in the tank. I'm fitter now than I was 20 years ago, but only because I exercise more and eat more sensibly (arguably) than I did 20 years ago, not because I'm a vegan. I only try to stay healthy and fit enough to enjoy my riding, and keep up with my kids as they grow up....and so far, i'm right on track with that goal :very_drunk:
That's pretty well what should have been said at the start of thread! It was a good journey though :D

INRI

Likes Dirt
I dont care! Soy protein is in the same boat as smokes were with brittish tobacco and so on.. All the positive scientific evidence is from companies that are very close to sanitarium (the people that market and sell the crap) I dont even care if you smoke. :very_drunk:
Please link some of this evidence pls. I think comparing the effects of soy consumption and production to that of tobacco is a bit of a stretch.

Trigger02

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Please link some of this evidence pls. I think comparing the effects of soy consumption and production to that of tobacco is a bit of a stretch.
An example of invested intrest, Like Lord Mockton saying the earth is fine, dont worry about destroying it, BUT secretly being payed by Gina to tell lies.

Garrath

Likes Dirt
Confused About Soy?--Soy Dangers Summarized

High levels of phytic acid in soy reduce assimilation of calcium, magnesium, copper, iron and zinc. Phytic acid in soy is not neutralized by ordinary preparation methods such as soaking, sprouting and long, slow cooking. High phytate diets have caused growth problems in children.
Trypsin inhibitors in soy interfere with protein digestion and may cause pancreatic disorders. In test animals soy containing trypsin inhibitors caused stunted growth.
Soy phytoestrogens disrupt endocrine function and have the potential to cause infertility and to promote breast cancer in adult women.
Soy phytoestrogens are potent antithyroid agents that cause hypothyroidism and may cause thyroid cancer. In infants, consumption of soy formula has been linked to autoimmune thyroid disease.
Vitamin B12 analogs in soy are not absorbed and actually increase the body's requirement for B12.
Soy foods increase the body's requirement for vitamin D.
Fragile proteins are denatured during high temperature processing to make soy protein isolate and textured vegetable protein.
Processing of soy protein results in the formation of toxic lysinoalanine and highly carcinogenic nitrosamines.
Free glutamic acid or MSG, a potent neurotoxin, is formed during soy food processing and additional amounts are added to many soy foods.
Soy foods contain high levels of aluminum which is toxic to the nervous system and the kidneys.

check http://www.westonaprice.org/soy-alert for more info.

If you love processed foods then soy is for you coz it's possible the most processed food in existence.

vtwiz

Likes Dirt
This linking to websites that claim soy is good/bad for you could go on forever........ here is one I found in a quick search. Its mainly about protein for 'bulking up' but towards the end goes into health issues.

http://www.timinvermont.com/fitness/soyvswhy.htm

In my summary :

If your into 'buliking up': "Several studies have been done to assess any differences in weight gain between individuals supplementing with whey protein, soy protein, or egg protein. SURPRISE, SURPRISE! There were NO differences whatsoever (statistically speaking) between the effectiveness of the proteins. Remember, all three of these proteins are designed to stimulate growth-- albeit in chicks, calves, etc. So, is one really better than another?"

"The first thing that I do when a consultation client asks me about Soy Isolate Deluxe protein is to ask them to forget whatever they have heard about soy protein. Soy has received a bad reputation in recent years because it is a protein source that comes entirely from soybeans. Since soy is derived from a plant source, it has been viewed as an inferior and incomplete protein. It also doesn't help that its two greatest consumers in the U.S. today are vegetarians and people with milk allergies such as lactose intolerance; not exactly the type of people you expect to see squatting 500-lbs reps at your local gym."

"In 1989, soy protein was put to the test to see how it stacked up against other proteins on a scale of protein quality. The most advanced protein-quality measurement scale is the Protein Digestibility Corrected Amino Acid Score (PDCAAS). The highest PDCAAS score possible is 1.0. Any protein with a score of 1.0 is considered complete for use by the human body. Soy was tested along with egg white, casein (derivative of milk protein), beef, and a variety of beans to determine their PDCAAS rating. Soy-protein isolate, along with egg white, whey, and casein proteins, came back with a perfect 1.0 score. Interestingly enough, beef scored only a .92 while kidney beans came in highest among the beans with a .68 rating"

Soy health benefits: "Soy protein isolate has shown the ability to promote bone health, which in turn aids in the prevention of Osteoporosis."

"Soy protein isolate has shown the ability to effectively lower LDL cholesterol and triglyceride levels in the blood. Experts agree that these cholesterol-lowering effects can be achieved through the consumption of as little as 25 grams of soy isolate protein each day."

"Soy protein has also shown the ability to improve kidney function. While scientists agree that the high protein intake of bodybuilders is necessary for proper muscle building and repair, they also agree that this diet will place additional stress on the kidneys. Studies of both humans and animals have shown that soy proteins filter more easily in the kidneys thereby reducing their workload."

Bored yet?

I'm not trying to push people into using Soy products but just trying to show how there have been many 'tests' done with many different resulting views.

Many foods in excess can be bad for you. Moderation is always key.

Of note, while looking through the web on the topic I have noticed that when Google searching there seems to be a lot of headings like 'Why soy is bad for you!!' and 'Dangers of Soy!'. Lot's of exclamation marks drumming up hype eh? Could this be the meat industry trying to bash down soy to protect itself. I definitely know that the meat industry spends a lot more money on advertising and campaigns than the Soy industry. So where is all this research really from. The funny thing is, that while the meat industry bashes soy, it is used in most meat products in the supermarket to add protein and in many cases to allow companies to use less actual meat in their products.

Again, like 90% of foods, eat it in moderation. And if you really don't like soy, don't eat it. Simple.

Lastly, while this topic was originally about Vego's trying to 'convert' meat eaters it's funny how it has become about Meat eaters trying to convert Soy users that what they are eating is rubbish.

Again, I eat meat so don't take my stand as trying to convince meat eaters to eat soy. I'm just defending the small statement I made about having a soy protein shake. A statement that a few have jumped on and had a go at. Hmm, meat eaters bashing soy eaters and vego's........nothing new there then.

Last edited:

No Skid Marks

Blue Mountain Bikes Brooklyn/Lahar/Kowa/PO1NT Raci
"Nothing will benefit human health and increase chances for survival of life on earth as much as the evolution to a vegetarian diet."
Albert Einstein

Ironically someone will probably find a similar quote from Hitler.

Last edited:

rone

Eats Squid
"Nothing will benefit human health and increase chances for survival of life on earth as much as the evolution to a vegetarian diet."
Albert Einstein

Ironically someone will probably find a similar quote from Hitler.
"One may regret living at a period when it's impossible to form an idea of the shape the world of the future will assume. But there's one thing I can predict to eaters of meat: the world of the future will be vegetarian." A. Hitler

No Skid Marks

Blue Mountain Bikes Brooklyn/Lahar/Kowa/PO1NT Raci
"One may regret living at a period when it's impossible to form an idea of the shape the world of the future will assume. But there's one thing I can predict to eaters of meat: the world of the future will be vegetarian." A. Hitler
LOL, I was only guessing knowing he was vego.
Shame the majority of his other concepts were totally deranged.

moorey

call me Mia
"Nothing will benefit human health and increase chances for survival of life on earth as much as the evolution to a vegetarian diet
Yeah, but what ELSE has he been right about lately? Tell me something ELSE he's discovered in the last 60 odd years.

INRI

Likes Dirt
Hitler ate meat from time to time but him being vegetarian or not is completely immaterial to any of this.

Also I have found that in 19 years of eating meat I had maybe one preachy vego hassle me, but in my five years without I seem to get it every other week from meat eaters?

moorey

call me Mia
Im yet to see a hitler downfall meme where he gets chicken in his Vego chinese takeaway order. The world needs one more hitler downfall meme.

Bermshot

Banned
Hitler amongst others tried (in an unsuccessful way) to decapitate the true source of hegemony. So yes, as enaxaple it/he is relevant.