pedals

andrew

Likes Bikes and Dirt
i dont like the souljam vipers, and my wellgos are dying, and i think dmr v8's out grip both of them (yes my wellgos are the ones with long pins). plus for 68 bucks or whatever you cant go wrong

stinky|dan

Likes Dirt
i have a set of pedals by a company called Antix. Nice big platform. They take hits and are super grippy care of a set of beautiful long pins.

If i had the money i would go for the Funn Vipers. They look beautiful but retail for around $180 or something. I work in a bike shop and cany affor them!

Otherwise try the Primo Tenderizers or Odyssey has a nice looking new platform pedal. ask your shop if you can look at the 2003 odyssey catalogue. A piece of art if you ask me.

oz-freerider

Likes Bikes and Dirt
yeah my v8's lasted 14 months b4 ther tryed to knock over a tree at elidon at 40kms and it bent the axle but i bent it back and they are good again although it keeps coming loose.

peachy

Ripe 'n ready!
zac said:
i've just got cheap vps which seem to be ok, but if i had the money i'd go either funn souljam vipers, the wellgos with the screw pins, or dice outlaws. on the same topic, anyone tried the holzfellers? if so are they any good?
souljams are a good investment, AWESOME pedal but when u buy them make sure the pins are in tight - i went for a ride after i bought them and half my pins fell out :p hahaha, replaced the pins and haven't found a problem since. They really are a great pedal, they are big/fat and wide, enough space for a elephats foot

andrew

Likes Bikes and Dirt
why does everyone like the souljam's so much? the griptape is useless and they are too square and flat to provide any real grip, mixed with bloody expensive doesnt go down too well.

j5ive

Jonny Sprockets Bike Shop
I'd have to agree with TY. I love Primo tenderisers. Really grippy downwards but not backwards? Umm if ya get me? They also concave in the middle which is really comphy and ya know where on the pedal you are. come in gold too.

S.

ex offender
andrew said:
why does everyone like the souljam's so much? the griptape is useless and they are too square and flat to provide any real grip, mixed with bloody expensive doesnt go down too well.
Ya reckon? I like mine, I reckon they grip very well, AS LONG AS IT'S NOT MUDDY. They don't clear out mud for shit.

josh

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Is there anything you can really do when its muddy to stay on the pedals better? Other than putting longer pins in the pedals....Seems to me that when the mud gets into the grip on your shoe its all over :/

S.

ex offender
josh said:
Is there anything you can really do when its muddy to stay on the pedals better? Other than putting longer pins in the pedals....Seems to me that when the mud gets into the grip on your shoe its all over :/
Clipless? :p

Just give your shoes and pedals a bit of a kick to drop any reaaal thick stuff off em is all you can really do.

josh

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I rode clipless for about 3 years, I liked it, but then i got the dh bike and its been flats ever since. Once i get super confident on the dh bike I might go back to clipless, one never knows :)

Scott

bAdmin
Staff member
stuff that... flats all the way....

i still see myself as a recreational rider, so im thinking going that hardcore is beyond my requirements :)

S.

ex offender
josh said:
I rode clipless for about 3 years, I liked it, but then i got the dh bike and its been flats ever since. Once i get super confident on the dh bike I might go back to clipless, one never knows :)
I want to try clipless on my DH bike for a while. Seems like it'd teach you to keep your feet on more often, which gives ya more control IMO.

stylinruss

Likes Dirt
I have to agree with some of the earlier posts, Odyssey twisted pro's are a good all round flat pedal. I've had a few sets of them, one survived a crash where I bent an XTR crank about 20 degrees from straight and the axle was as straight as when it came out of the box. I've used V8's but I didn't like them much, the pins come loose too easy, the pins rip out of the body if you smash them on stuff and I bent the axle after a couple of months (I am about 95kg though).

Turley

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I am goign to try clipless on my dh rig because they are a definate advantage on tracks like castle hill which there isn't anything super burly that you want to have your feet free of. Double or nothing on the other hand is scary shit clipped in.

I was riding XC on the weekend clipped in and I loved it! Had them so I could get out easy but tight enough that I didn't pop out unintentionally too often. Anyone willing to help me make an magneting pedal which attracts when you pedal but stops when you don't. I got the design in my head but is still tricky as I would be wanting it to be small yet be very strong so you can still spin properly.

fastrider gus

super huck
fastrider gus said:
DMR V12's are well worth the extra cashish i rekon... you never have to touch 'em..
im making some new bodies to put onto the existing axle and bearings... 16 5mm pins per side, 120mm wide and 100mm long!!
solid allow with a few holes for looks (which happen to lighten them too)
they should be the schmickest thing around!
well i have them on my bike now, 6mm pins actually. i rode at ballarat in the full slosh and my VANS stuck to 'em without a worry. they even held up to a few 20+ foot drops!
still need a bit of work though..

dick

Likes Dirt
get some v8's or if u have the money get some a frames.
i dont think the v12's are twice as good as v8's and seeing ur paying twice as much i probably wouldnt get them.
ur probably better of getting ones with sealed bearings though cause theyll last longer/.

fastrider gus

super huck
dick said:
get some v8's or if u have the money get some a frames.
i dont think the v12's are twice as good as v8's and seeing ur paying twice as much i probably wouldnt get them.
ur probably better of getting ones with sealed bearings though cause theyll last longer/.
the difference between V8's and V12's is the V8's only have normal bearings and a few replaceable pins.. V12's have fully replaceable pins and sealed bearings.. they are worth the extra cashish. and you can find shops that will sell them cheaper..