Pain inhibitors while riding &/or racing?

What pain inhibitor are you?

• Total voters

Exie

Likes Dirt
Great post this!

I left some skin down at the YouYangs today and could use some pain inhibitors. :)

Looks like Nurofen + is the way to go ....

andy

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Nurofen tonight to get me through the last weeks riding. Second week of holidays, spent 4 days doing DH runs, two of those at the Dump @ Tambo, two days of DJing and pumptrack, one road ride and one XC ride which finished on the first Downhill after folding my front wheel.

digby69

Likes Bikes
B l b

Went for an unplanned journey over the bars today,
Black Label Beam is working fine.
I find Wild Turkey shots the best but it's not on sale at the moment

Last edited:

October26

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I find a little Deep Heat or similar product rubbed in to my lower back feels great when the bumps start hurting on the XC bike.

SmokedHam

Likes Dirt
I thought it might be funny more than anything to have a thread about pain prevention in Vets.
But seriously, I was considering buying some "Pain Away" spray (same as the footy stars use) to keep me on the bike for an extra run or two after a big off or long day. Currently I occasionally use Voltaren gel but it takes too long to apply, etc..
What does everone else use to keep the pain away & keep on hucking?
Oxy Codine 10mg x 3 after my big off Tumble, that was back in January / February but ive still got some, yeah!

C.H.B

Likes Dirt
I find a little Deep Heat or similar product rubbed in to my lower back feels great when the bumps start hurting on the XC bike.
try rubbing on dencorub and then
rubbing deep heat straight after.intense heat followed by virtually no back pain at all.try it!

bikeyoulongtime

Likes Dirt
oooh good old pain.. my strategy, in rough order:

+1 for yoga and strength training: rock climbing has been the only viable long term treatment for ten-years-of-skateboarding-damaged-wrists, and two separated AC joints, and a permanently swollen ankle, and a weather knee I got from snowboarding many years ago. capoeira helped also, but has its own injury potential. yoga is, well, the bomb. And rest.. more than I think I need.

2: beer, warmth, rest...

3: for really broken stuff, I really like neurofen+. anti inflammatory, and something strange about my chemical makeup seems to interact with ibuprofen. MUCH more fun than paracetamol, but don't let me drive...

never tried voltaren, the system above seems to have worked well enough so far. I considered glucosamine when I was working as a guide, but I'm a shiny bum recreational rider these days, so its fallen by the way. Suspect I'll need it when kids grow a bit and more km's start to happen.

anyone on/off glucosamine with experiences to share?

C.H.B

Likes Dirt
i used to get a super strength glucosamine years ago and it worked really well but
it disapeared from the shelves a few years back and i havent found anything as good since so i dont bother with it.

Cranks

Squid
Arnica creams my best friend if I could I would buy it by the 44 gallon drum. I would highly recommend it for any muscle soreness and bruises. As for riding with pain killers in my system I feel that when my body starts to hurt its time to pack up for the day cause if I keep going there's a good chance of crashing.:)

gregb

Likes Dirt
I was when I was a kid. Haven't (touch wood) had an attack for 20+ years. That's why I slammed the brakes on neurofen and went to voltaren.

2be

Likes Bikes
Ibuprofen for back strains, usually just the generic stuff from the supermarket. I don't use them while riding, in fact i don't use anti inflammatory's very often but when needed i don't suffer needlessly. Paracetamol (generic again) will take care of most pains I get. I do take Fish oil capsules four times a day. One sure fire thing for sore legs is some of the Asian heat oils available at Asian grocers, just like 'Tiger Balm' oil there is a massive array of different potions out there with strange hard to read labels, but just jump in and give them a go you'll soon find a nice hot one that works wonders !
Another under rated cure is ' Lectric soda' and ' Radox' in a nice hot deep bath with a cold beer :p

Norco Maniac

Is back!
anyone on/off glucosamine with experiences to share?
partially tore my right AC twice last time i was racing BMX. also partially tore the same collarbone at the sternum, six weeks before State Titles. i ride with two spinal injuries (stabilised) and i have Fibromyalgia, a chronic muscle pain condition. 1000mg of magnesium daily, vitamin E, flaxseed or fish oil depending (i rotate them) and i found Glucosamine/Chondritin mix to be particularly effective as both a healing agent and pain reliever. Tumeric is also a natural anti-inflammatory as is the high quality oil.

i'm into natural supplements, being a remedial therapist (massage and reflexology). i also take Maca powder, use Kefir as my daily acidophilus hit, and do you guys know that vitamin C and zinc are both great wound healers? and homeopathic arnica is brilliant for bruises?

for pain, i just tough it out. chamomile tea and a heat pack, red wine when it's just too hard. beer is an inflammatory agent, dammit...i also make a heat rub (think dencorub with teeth) from ten essential oils, arnica, and comfrey.

yep, Radox is great, you can also buy chemist grade epsom salts from your local produce store cheaper, a good double fistful in the bath. bliss!

oh, and i'm 45.

Last edited:

2be

Likes Bikes
I'm curious about the Tumeric, I saw a listing on Bulksuppliments.com for it and was surprised when i did a little research. I have no need to use an anti inflammatory but like you tend to move towards natural when it's possible. I take ZMA daily but are thinking of stopping as I really can't say that I am getting much benefit.
Flax seed oil interests me, I once heard about a pro European road team that to get their riders back into shape after some time off they would send them across the Alps with nothing but flax seed oil to provide the calories for fuel. When they eventually blew up they would get them going again with Coca cola and resume the training. What reason do you have for rotating the flax seed to fish oil?

Oh yeah I'm a young 41:p

Norco Maniac

Is back!
I'm curious about the Tumeric, ......What reason do you have for rotating the flax seed to fish oil?
i was put on to Tumeric when i was first diagnosed with the Fibro as an alternative to chemical anti-inflammatories. if you Google Ayurvedic medicine you find it's widely used on the Indian subcontinent, Ayurvedic medicine has its roots in five element theory as Chinese traditional medicine does, both systems date back almost 6000 years. the Indians also use it as a beauty treatment among other things.

Tumeric is very easily grown in the home garden from the south coast of NSW upwards. it can be grated fresh into stir fry and salads, at about a tablespoon a day.

i rotate the oils simply because i'm stubborn. fish oil repeats badly on me but i know my body needs it, i feel better/have more energy/less pain when i take it. flaxseed has to be converted from omega 3 to omega 6 by the body so it's not as quickly available. but any high-quality cold-pressed oil is better than none. again if you do a bit of reading on Ayurvedic medicine they will go into body types and what oils work best for which type.

remember that the brain and nervous system are essentially made up of fatty cells, and that's why our bodies need good oils. what else are we going to rebuild with?

an analogy i use with my sporty clients is, would you take your car out on a racetrack with K-mart oil and retreads on, and the wheels out of alignment, then expect it to perform like a formula1 car? well what then are you going to feed your body to help it race?

Last edited:

bluesmurf

Likes Bikes
the only thing i cant stop is lower back pain - no matter what i seem to do its always niggling away. had bike fitted again, new stem, everything changed around and sized etc. perhaps its being 35+?
I to used to suffer from lower back pain, not just when riding but a small niggle almost constantly. I went and saw a physiotherapist who is pilates based and they diagnosed me pretty much straight away, gave me some exercises to do (some which are simple to do at home) and my lower back has never been better:D I did a few one on one sessions with the physio and am now doing group sessions and the lack of constant back soreness is bliss

Before that any half decent lenght ride (60ks) and my back was toast. The few longer races I have competed in it would be a couple of nurofen plus when I started to feel the back tighten up.