Pain inhibitors while riding &/or racing?

What pain inhibitor are you?

• Total voters

tumble

Likes Dirt
I thought it might be funny more than anything to have a thread about pain prevention in Vets.
But seriously, I was considering buying some "Pain Away" spray (same as the footy stars use) to keep me on the bike for an extra run or two after a big off or long day. Currently I occasionally use Voltaren gel but it takes too long to apply, etc..
What does everone else use to keep the pain away & keep on hucking?

Last edited:

BT180

Max Pfaff
Nurofen + ! Definitely don't take it before riding but after a crash or if you're feeling particularly sore it's great. Pretty good for hangovers too. :)

BM Epic

Eats Squid
Nurofen + ! Definitely don't take it before riding but after a crash or if you're feeling particularly sore it's great. Pretty good for hangovers too. :)
I'm going with BT on this one, nurofen plus for all those orrible aches and pains, BTW Ben thanks for supporting bmorc mate, we got a massive result the other night, it was good seeing democracy in action, my 16yo daughter was even impressed!

smeck

Likes Dirt
Voltaren Rapid capsules are a favourite of mine. They're behind the counter in the chemist and something of a circus to get but they're available without a prescription and the most effective anti-inflamatory I've ever used. Don't pop them like tic tacs, but taken with a meal they work wonders. At the moment I have Rapid 25 capsules, 50s are getting serious and 100s are/were prescription only.

gregb

Likes Dirt
Voltaren is my friend. Although I try to not take them until after the bike has been packed away for the day.

I find that ibuprofen (nurofen etc) leave me feeling short of breath for the next eighteen or so hours.

4dabush

Likes Dirt
1000mgs fish oil capsules x 2, 2 x per day , used to be 1 cap a day, but 2 is making knees less noisey!
(I wonder if it works on chains too?)
Voltaren gel helps with bruises and aches and other stuff.

As an aside, I found Ibuprofen before flying (I spend a bit of time traveling with work) helps my ears adjust and stops me from feeling like somene is yanking out my teeth. (no wonder little kids scream on decents).

Gawd, I'm starting to sound like my parents with all these pills....noooo....

Jackstack

Likes Dirt
I believe they call them testicles.
Now that's funny!
Unfortunately ,mine let me down sometimes but I gotta be in real pain to head for the pills. For me a cocktail of Panadien Forte and Nurofen (not nurofen plus) rotating every two hours works good, but generally don't take pills when riding, the times I have has been plain nurofen or paracetamol nothing heavy till post riding.
If we're talking real pain management after injury that's a whole new ball game.

Calvin M

Likes Dirt
That stuff that my trucky mate gives me works well makes you realy fast aswell:rolleyes:.

I had sudafed one morring before riding for a stuffie head and it had me feel realy good one the bike so I took another and then later in the day another. Was too many I had to stop doing runs before I killed myself. Now I never take anything while riding.

Last edited:

smeck

Likes Dirt
I believe they call them testicles.
Perhaps you could demonstrate the size of yours by posting your date of birth?;)

If we're talking real pain management after injury that's a whole new ball game.
This was my understanding, find me a 30+ that hasn't had stuffed at least one joint and you'll have someone that has never needed pain management. Knees and wrists are popular, shoulders/collar bones/ac joints not far behind. Or you may have just found a teenager posting smart arse comments in the Vets forum.:rolleyes:

jumpers

Likes Dirt
I just use the same magic sponge and water as nrl players.

Seriously, i find a surf or swim after hard ride soothes my tired muscles. But in saying that i now have shoulder injury from years of surfing so maybe not best option.
I do yoga to also help.
But if had big off its usually ice and rest

gillie

Squid
i used to use nurofen plus but now use voltaren for most pains that are generated from riding. i also tend to get headaches after i ride sometimes (no matter how much water i drink) so i now drink electrolytes before, and after riding as well as approx 1ltr water per hour and it seems to be working.

the only thing i cant stop is lower back pain - no matter what i seem to do its always niggling away. had bike fitted again, new stem, everything changed around and sized etc. perhaps its being 35+?

.:ROBBO:.

Likes Dirt
Ive got screwed Knees. Big time. From X country running and years of self defence when I was in school. Riding downhill I rarely take anything unless like today I wipe out a big tree with my shoulder then im into the Nurofen every 3-4 hours after and then some gell before I go to bed.

But XC riding especially enduros I usually start on the Nurofen about an hour before I ride and then use the gell on my knees every few hours after that. This is on advise from a doctor.

Never take anything stronger than STD Nurofen. I use it mainly for its anti inflamitory values rather than its pain releif.

spinner

Likes Bikes and Dirt
When I crashed at a race last season , the first aid crew used an anti inflamatory cream on my knee which was so swolen , I could hardlly bend it. I can't remember the exact name but it was something like "Emu Oil". It was bloody amazing. Within 10 minutes , the swelling in my kneecap (which was the size of a grapefruit) had reduced by half and the pain was reduced dramatically. The effect of the cream lasted an hour or so. I asked the first aiders where they got it and they said they were having trouble finding it any more and it may have been taken off the market. It worked heaps better than any other anti inflamatory gel I've used.

I generally don't have any pain or discomfort during rides , nothing major anyway .....but after a big day of DH , I'm usually a bit sore the next morning. I've never had to use medication to relieve pain from just riding , only from crash damage.

BT180

Max Pfaff
BTW Ben thanks for supporting bmorc mate, we got a massive result the other night, it was good seeing democracy in action, my 16yo daughter was even impressed!
No worries, glad to help. Was a great result indeed.