Optimus Prime

Rorschach

Didnt pay $250 for this custom title
Can confirm..

Paradox is money well spent. If you know what you're getting into then it's really a great and capable ride. Not as easy to ride as FS but a lot more direct and less maintenance too.

They can be set up 120mm to 150mm travel apparently?
BB would be low as at 120mm no? @Tubbsy?
Would probably do a direct swap and leave my forks at 140mm if I did it

Tubbsy

Packin' a small bird
Staff member
How’re you finding yours? I’m probably looking at something more like XC/Trail than Trail/AM I think
I love it; I just clicked with it immediately and can't think of much I'd change. I have it set up XC/Trail mainly because I had a 130mm Fox34 hanging around, and it's a hoot. Super nimble, and the rear end has this magic ability to dampen trail buzz. I mentioned to @beeb recently, I'm just really surprised the bike hasn't had more reviews on the usual bike sites.

BB would be low as at 120mm no? @Tubbsy?
Yeah it's on the low side at 130, but the bike is super pointy like this so I can't see any reason to run less travel. Going to try it at 140/150 at some point, I @The Reverend you ran yours with longer travel and loved it? EDIT: I see you've confirmed above

caad9

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Just dangling the carrot with the Cotic.

I absolutely love it and it works well for my trails locally (Silvan)
Mezzer @150mm, XT 11 Speed, Guide RSC brakes and mixed Hope/Mavic wheel set.

However, my family has just purchased a place near Mt Buller and a dually could make things a bit more fun up there.

Litenbror

Eats Squid
I love it; I just clicked with it immediately and can't think of much I'd change. I have it set up XC/Trail mainly because I had a 130mm Fox34 hanging around, and it's a hoot. Super nimble, and the rear end has this magic ability to dampen trail buzz. I mentioned to @beeb recently, I'm just really surprised the bike hasn't had more reviews on the usual bike sites.

Yeah it's on the low side at 130, but the bike is super pointy like this so I can't see any reason to run less travel. Going to try it at 140/150 at some point, I @The Reverend you ran yours with longer travel and loved it? EDIT: I see you've confirmed above
I'm running my XACD frame which is basically a Paradox with sliding dropouts and it's great fun, super capable at 150mm and still nimble.

Rorschach

Spoke to the local guy today and said that while he could sell me a Paradox, he’d rather see if he could help set-up my bike to get the best out of it, which I respect
He does intermittent tyre-and-suspension setting sessions so I’ll head along to the next one of those and see if he can help me out
Will update once I’ve had a go at that

Rorschach

Spend a bit of time on the bike yesterday and in prep, I had a look at what my shocks and tyres were all running out and made sure everything was where it should be, and ended up taking some pressure out of my forks and slowed down the rebound on my shock and things felt better yesterday.
Will experiment with less pressure in the shock (running 250psi in there) and maybe another click of rebound off next time I head out and see how it goes.
Felt more comfortable yesterday generally so may be something as simple as that.

Also need to do something with my bars, maybe rotate them a bit as I'm getting sore hands even with fat grips

Rorschach

Update time.
I've spent some time tweaking my suspension settings recently and the bikes felt good the last couple of times I've ridden so I'm set on keeping it now.
I also bought a set of Durolux's and an oval ring I've had fitted, so fork travel has been jacked 10mm and a-c 20mm
I need to set-up the Durolux so there's a bit of tweaking there, and likely a longer stem

New pics taken in my office cos I didn't want to leave it on the back of my car at work all day

Rorschach

@Rorschach - leaving the bike on the back of the car while at work is a great way to get it nicked.
It's always the right decision to have the bike somewhere safe, and available for you to ogle it. ;)
Sure is, which is why its inside! I've caught the local scrotes casing cars before so no way its staying out there

Share your dpx2 tweaks?
I didn't get mine feeling good, so took the cheats way out and bought a coil with it's own different tuning problems.
Honestly just fiddling. Rebound one click slower than middle and 240psi for my fat arse. Its the first bike I've had with a rear shock so I can likely get it feeling better. I might need to put a larger volume spacer in there, but I haven't bottomed it out yet. If I can't get it sorted, a Bomber CR is in my future

Plus it brightens the office space.
Better than any pot plant.
Sure is, shame it's going home today
I guarantee I'll knock the damn thing over by the end of the day

yuley95

soft-arse Yuley is on the lifts again
Update time.
I've spent some time tweaking my suspension settings recently and the bikes felt good the last couple of times I've ridden so I'm set on keeping it now.
I also bought a set of Durolux's and an oval ring I've had fitted, so fork travel has been jacked 10mm and a-c 20mm
I need to set-up the Durolux so there's a bit of tweaking there, and likely a longer stem

New pics taken in my office cos I didn't want to leave it on the back of my car at work all day

Looks great. Durolux is a good fork. My only gripe with it is that rebound is a little in the slow side. I'm only about 75kg kitted up so spring pressure is not high and I have to run rebound fully open. I find I have plenty of range in the compression damping though

Rorschach

Looks great. Durolux is a good fork. My only gripe with it is that rebound is a little in the slow side. I'm only about 75kg kitted up so spring pressure is not high and I have to run rebound fully open. I find I have plenty of range in the compression damping though
I'm a fatty at ~105kg kitted up so will likely put some on there
There're some good tuning tips in here so I'm going to use that as a starting point and go from there

Rorschach

OK, got a ride in yesterday morning, have a few thoughts:
  • The Durolux is a big step-up from the Z2. I set it up as per the guide on the Suntour website and its a great starting point. I think I need to wind off some compression but left it for this ride. Some tweaking to come. It also felt supportive and didn't dive in its travel like the Z2 but was there when I needed it. I didn't use all of the travel, but I also didn't hit any jumps cos I wasn't feeling it
  • Jacking the front end has made a big difference to the ride. Not only do I get less pedal strikes, it also feels more comfortable to ride. I was worried it'd hurt my wrists more as I was leant more on my hands and with it feeling a bit short already, but after the first part of the ride I didn't notice it
  • Oval chainrings are fantastic. I didn't notice the change in pedalling other that it generally feeling like I was a couple of gears lower than I was in reality. Climbing I normally max-out pretty quickly and go slowly up the hills and while here I was doing a similar cadence I was 2 gears lower so had more in the tank. They also put less strain on my knees and allowed them to recover quicker. Its also much easier to lift the front wheel over stuff on the trail
Overall, I'm really happy with the upgrades, particularly the oval ring as its letting me go for longer. Yes, I feel like a sack of shit as I'm, unfit but my legs are not the rate determining step. Weirdly, I didn't notice the travel of the bike, it felt like an XC bike in a really good way.
On this ride, I normally walk halfway up the first climb and then bail back down after this but this week I pedalled the whole thing and then carried on up to the top, which thinking on it is the first time I've done that on this particular route, and certainly without walking
Also of note that I did Camicazi in the fastest time I've done it. I do that track a lot and while today felt quick, I felt I'd done it quicker before particularly as I felt I was taking it easy. Its a good sign.